U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I never got this line of thinking...it's what enabled this whole scenario. Bigotry should never be given a free pass, otherwise people will think it's normal. The majority of the time, at least from what I've seen, it's warranted.

The irony though, of people who complain about PC and safe spaces etc. being offended by people calling them racist and voting to literally make America their safe space :lol: . 

Its the labelling of Trump's supporters as bigots, racists and misogynists (not you, but the media in general) that has pushed a lot of people towards him, as almost a '**** you' vote, IMO

I wouldn't have voted for him but Clinton was hardly decent competition. A decent Democrat candidate would have won. Be interesting to see how it pans out. Least theY can boot him out in 4 years if he's a disaster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Looks like El Jefe is making Ben Carson his Secretary of Education - that's Ben Carson who believes that evolution is bunkum and the earth is 6,000 years old. 

I thought Carson had declined ?

He does appear a bit bonkers though ... 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-muslim-registry-immigrants-policy-kris-bobach-reinstate-wall-a7420296.html

Donald Trump’s policy advisers are discussing plans to establish a registry for Muslim immigrants in the US, a man believed to be a key member of the President-elect's transition team has revealed.

Kris Kobach, the secretary of state for Kansas, said the President-elect’s advisers were looking at how to implement a proposal suggested by the billionaire businessman that would force immigrants from Muslim countries to register on a database.

Mr Kobach, who helped devise tough immigration laws in a number of US states and claims to have participated in regular conference calls with Mr Trump’s immigration advisers, also said the Trump administration could push ahead rapidly on construction of a US-Mexico border wall without seeking immediate congressional approval.

^

How is that not a thing that already exists? Nobody can seriously be telling me that there doesn't already exist a database that can be searched to find what citizens from Muslim countries have entered the US? I understand there are numbers of undocumented immigrants, but most illegal immigration is visa overstays, and I somehow don't see many radical Saudi engineering students swimming the Rio Grande to get there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

^

How is that not a thing that already exists? Nobody can seriously be telling me that there doesn't already exist a database that can be searched to find what citizens from Muslim countries have entered the US? I understand there are numbers of undocumented immigrants, but most illegal immigration is visa overstays, and I somehow don't see many radical Saudi engineering students swimming the Rio Grande to get there. 

First pledge achieved even before taking office.

Way to go, Donald!  Muricaaa!

What is a database of Muslim immigrants even meant to achieve? They knew who the attackers they've had were anyway. They weren't ghosts in the system that suddenly appeared.

Edited by Chindie

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Has he? That would nice.

Hilariously he declined the role because he "feels he has no government experience".

Presumably he thought he had enough experience to run for president but not actually work for the presidents administration...  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Hilariously he declined the role because he "feels he has no government experience".

Presumably he thought he had enough experience to run for president but not actually work for the presidents administration...  

Reportedly Trump has said anyone who takes a role in his administration will be banned from becoming a lobbyist for 5 years after leaving Office. 

Perhaps that kind of anti-corruption measure (which we should have in the UK) has dissuaded Mr Carson? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Reportedly Trump has said anyone who takes a role in his administration will be banned from becoming a lobbyist for 5 years after leaving Office. 

Perhaps that kind of anti-corruption measure (which we should have in the UK) has dissuaded Mr Carson? 

Its a token gesture though surely? They will just be consultants, advisors etc. They will still influence policy for personal reward even if it has to take a different form or they have to wait a little longer for it.

22 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Its a token gesture though surely? They will just be consultants, advisors etc. They will still influence policy for personal reward even if it has to take a different form or they have to wait a little longer for it.

It's an attempt to end the revolving door between government positions and industry lobbying roles (or draining the swamp in Teump speak). The sort of thing that's been discussed on here many times and on the face of it a very good thing.

As you say perhaps more difficult in practice but it will be interesting to see if it actually works.

Just now, Awol said:

It's an attempt to end the revolving door between government positions and industry lobbying roles (or draining the swamp in Teump speak). The sort of thing that's been discussed on here many times and on the face of it a very good thing.

As you say perhaps more difficult in practice but it will be interesting to see if it actually works.

Yeah I get the logic and aim just not convinced it will work I guess.

I also think it's a little hypocritical given his stance of blind trust management of his assets, something every President has accepted for 40 years I believe.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Awol said:

It certainly does seem more difficult in practice, judging by the appointments he's made so far.

The Commerce Department transition will be overseen by Ray Washburne, a vice chair of the committee set up to raise money for Trump and the Republican National Committee. Washburne was Christie's national finance chair. Steven Mnuchin, Trump's finance chairman, will sit on the transition team's executive committee.

The Labor Department will be reviewed by J. Steven Hart, chief executive of the lobbying firm Williams & Jensen, which during the first nine months of 2016 was paid $12.2 million by such companies as Zoetis, the Parsippany-based animal health company; Comcast Corp.; and United Airlines, the biggest carrier at Newark Airport.

Williams & Jensen is the 11th biggest lobbying firm by revenue, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a Washington-based research group.

Michael Catanzano of the lobbying firm CGCN Group was named to oversee was named to oversee policies for energy independence. CGCN reported receiving $5.1 million during the first nine months of the year for lobbying on behalf of the American Fuel & Petrochem Manufacturers, Devon Energy and Hess Corp.

Martin Whitmer, overseeing transportation and infrastructure policies, is a lobbyist for such groups as the Association of American Railroads and the National Asphalt Pavement Association, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Overseeing the Environmental Protection Agency is Myron Ebell of the Competitive Enterprise Institute. The institute helps fund the Cooler Heads Coalition, which is "focused on dispelling the myths of global warming," according to its website that Ebell contributes to.

Just another lie.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/11/lobbyists_and_big_donors_reviled_by_trump_in_campa.html

Â