U.S. Politics

maqroll

Re- those headlines.  That's despicable sore loser behaviour and it will only serve to further show people in their own minds that they were 'right' to vote the way they did.  They clearly still haven't learned their lesson that marginalising and insulting other people, constantly putting them down and now attacking their children will not end well and does not show you in a particularly good light.  It certainly makes it quite difficult to hold any moral high ground when you're doing exactly what you accuse the 'other' side of doing.

To be quite honest, having read and seen everything that I have done since the election results, I've now got much more sympathy and understanding for the plight of the average Republican voter, not to mention that a lot of the behaviour I've seen from allegedly enlightened Democrat voters has left an awful lot to be desired.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

Re- those headlines.  That's despicable sore loser behaviour and it will only serve to further show people in their own minds that they were 'right' to vote the way they did.  They clearly still haven't learned their lesson that marginalising and insulting other people, constantly putting them down and now attacking their children will not end well and does not show you in a particularly good light.  It certainly makes it quite difficult to hold any moral high ground when you're doing exactly what you accuse the 'other' side of doing.

To be quite honest, having read and seen everything that I have done since the election results, I've now got much more sympathy and understanding for the plight of the average Republican voter, not to mention that a lot of the behaviour I've seen from allegedly enlightened Democrat voters has left an awful lot to be desired.

Typical behaviour from the horrible clearings in the woods. Always spitting their dummy out when they don't get their own way. Well I for one am so glad we got brexit and the US got trump elected. Racist? No, pissed off? Yes. Blind as bats the lot of em. You wouldn't have none of this shit if remain won and Clinton won.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Typical behaviour from the horrible clearings in the woods. Always spitting their dummy out when they don't get their own way. Well I for one am so glad we got brexit and the US got trump elected. Racist? No, pissed off? Yes. Blind as bats the lot of em.

Brexit is not going to give you what you (think you) want. Or perhaps it is, but it will come bundled with a whole lot of shit you never thought of. Same will happen with Trump in the U.S. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Brexit is not going to give you what you (think you) want. Or perhaps it is, but it will come bundled with a whole lot of shit you never thought of. Same will happen with Trump in the U.S. 

I'm not stupid or ignorant enough to think it will. But it's a start, hopefully.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm not stupid or ignorant enough to think it will. But it's a start, hopefully.

It's definitely a start at the very least.  And I think that's the most valuable thing that will come from all of this.  For one reason or another, a whole load of people have now re-engaged with politics who had either abandoned it or were never there in the first place.  They are interested in it either because they felt wronged/ignored or because they didn't like the results after the event.  But either way, both types are now paying attention.  Also, the establishment for what's left of it will certainly have ditched its "it'll never happen" arrogance because it (shock result) has happened, twice.

Perhaps politics needed a bit of a reset.  It had gotten a little bit cosey or lazy with its message.  Well not any more - we hope.

It now needs to sit up and start listening to everyone, because 'everyone' (from a demographic POV) is now a voter - where they weren't a voter before.

I've been having a discussion with mates about all of this and the general concensus is that other than perhaps 2001, this year has so far been the most significant year of the century.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Typical behaviour from the horrible clearings in the woods. Always spitting their dummy out when they don't get their own way. Well I for one am so glad we got brexit and the US got trump elected. Racist? No, pissed off? Yes. Blind as bats the lot of em. You wouldn't of none of this shit if remain won and Clinton won.

Are you having a laugh?  Wouldn't have this if remain and Clinton won?  Farage had said he wouldn't accept a close defeat as the end of it, and is now organising a march on the Supreme Court.  Trump specifically refused to accept the outcome if he lost, and encouraged his supporters to hand round polling stations to intimidate people.  Since his supporters seem to include the armed paramilitary militias which the country seems reluctant to break up, that's a very serious state of affairs.  In contrast, both Obama and Clinton went to some lengths to emphasise the importance of an orderly transfer of power.  There is simply no comparison.

Supporters of both camps can get up to some pretty unpleasant behaviour.  What you seem to overlook is that in the case of Trump, the tone of the campaign, the racism, misogyny and general vileness which alienated even the senior ranks of Republicans who would have been expected to support him, came from the man himself.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

and encouraged his supporters to hand round polling stations to intimidate people.

Could have been a selective thing but the only instances of it I saw on the TV from polling stations were two topless women intimidating would be Trump voters  :) 

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's definitely a start at the very least.  And I think that's the most valuable thing that will come from all of this.  For one reason or another, a whole load of people have now re-engaged with politics who had either abandoned it or were never there in the first place.  They are interested in it either because they felt wronged/ignored or because they didn't like the results after the event.  But either way, both types are now paying attention.  Also, the establishment for what's left of it will certainly have ditched its "it'll never happen" arrogance because it (shock result) has happened, twice.

Perhaps politics needed a bit of a reset.  It had gotten a little bit cosey or lazy with its message.  Well not any more - we hope.

It now needs to sit up and start listening to everyone, because 'everyone' (from a demographic POV) is now a voter - where they weren't a voter before.

I've been having a discussion with mates about all of this and the general concensus is that other than perhaps 2001, this year has so far been the most significant year of the century.

I find great comfort in your posts. Yes it's a start, and hopefully a change. Little England influencing America, it's great. I honestly felt like we were being made to feel like animals for voting brexit but now America has done the same I'm prouder of my decision now than I was before. Well done to America.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Could have been a selective thing but the only instances of it I saw on the TV from polling stations were two topless women intimidating would be Trump voters  :) 

I can't imagine why it was just those two that caught your eye :P

27 minutes ago, peterms said:

Are you having a laugh?  Wouldn't have this if remain and Clinton won?  Farage had said he wouldn't accept a close defeat as the end of it, and is now organising a march on the Supreme Court.  Trump specifically refused to accept the outcome if he lost, and encouraged his supporters to hand round polling stations to intimidate people.  Since his supporters seem to include the armed paramilitary militias which the country seems reluctant to break up, that's a very serious state of affairs.  In contrast, both Obama and Clinton went to some lengths to emphasise the importance of an orderly transfer of power.  There is simply no comparison.

Supporters of both camps can get up to some pretty unpleasant behaviour.  What you seem to overlook is that in the case of Trump, the tone of the campaign, the racism, misogyny and general vileness which alienated even the senior ranks of Republicans who would have been expected to support him, came from the man himself.

Yep and this point won't be addressed. It's constant sniping at the left lately while totally ignoring the total hypocrisy of the other camp. Trump and Farage's refusal to concede if they lost especially.

Edited by StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yep and this point won't be addressed. It's constant sniping at the left lately while totally ignoring the total hypocrisy of the other camp. Trump and Farage's refusal to concede if they lost especially.

don't you think it might be part of the ploy  ? ... nothing galvanises the potential protest vote like " look at the establishment they don't want you to win " , so thus it encourages people to go out and vote against the system  .. as opposed to trying to energise the left who would have voted if they could have been arsed to get out of bed after a hard night learning the Knights that say Ni verbatim 

37 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I find great comfort in your posts. Yes it's a start, and hopefully a change. Little England influencing America, it's great. I honestly felt like we were being made to feel like animals for voting brexit but now America has done the same I'm prouder of my decision now than I was before. Well done to America.

Well that's nice of you to say :) FWIW I include myself in the number who were never into politics in the first place but who have been taking a closer look. I find the taking of sides (polarisation) to be quite fascinating when it should be about a more all-encompassing approach, but of course that's naïve idealistic nonsense and the world doesn't work like that so ... I can't offer any solutions :P

• Like 1

In a way I'm happy that some people found their voice and were enthused and engaged for the first time in years (even though voter turnout was way down) although I find this self-congratulary diatribe of electing a known chauvinist, bigot and bully pretty gross.

if I had a protest vote for someone like Trump, I'd feel happy that id won but I wouldn't be patting myself on the back. I'd feel gross.

1 hour ago, Jarpie said:

Want to know why people hates the media? It's one thing to attack Trump or his supporters but this is a new low:

Cw648SAVQAAoenR.jpg:large

10 year old kid is tired at 3 o clock in the morning.... what a shocker.

In all fairness he probably shouldn't have been onstage but how often do you get to see your dad become president

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Typical hard left trick. 

You post things like this and yet call the Mail a 'great read' who are guilty of much worse than in that screenshot

add to that "we wouldn't have seen trouble if trump/remain had won" even after their leaders and supporters saying otherwise before the result, and your posting is increasingly one-sided and hypocritical.

Â