Jack Wilshere

sir_gary_cahill

It really says a lot more about the OMG u nazi fascist twitter generation that it does Jack Wilshere that they managed to blow up a comment that only English people should play for England into a national news story. 

He should have stuck to Januzaj though. There are lots of examples of players in other sports where the question of nationality is complicated. The case of Januzaj isn't complicated at all. Born and raised in Belgium he should be playing for them. I can understand though if he wants to wait to play for Kosovo for various reasons. 

We shouldn't be actively 'recruiting' foreign players to play for England though and let's face it that's what's happened in other sports and sportsmen/women have been willing to do it for financial reasons, for better training and facilities and overall to secure better opportunities, nothing to do with patriotism.

If we do go down that road and maybe it's inevitable that we will have to it's okay but let's cut out the flag waving, the national anthems, all the patriotic nonsense and accept the national teams are a loose collection of people competing for the sporting competition and not for their country. That's what makes sports like Athletics so uncomfortable, we all know they aren't competing for their country, why keep on pretending they are? Why force them to do a parade before the Olympics carrying massive national flags? Why go through a ceremony that culminates in the national anthem to give the impression they have been competing for their country rather than themselves? Especially in individual sports. 

It could be a bit of a crossroads for the FA is this debate continues. Either stick to the principle that we don't actively recruit foreign players even if they are eligible or close to eligibility or go down the route of actively identifying foreign players who are eligible or potentially eligible and recruiting them from an early age. The Januzaj case shows how flawed the first approach is though because we all know that if the opportunity to secure a potential star comes up the principles be thrown out very quickly. 

• Like 1

Sorry this is off topic but a thought I've had for a long time. 

If you were let's say a wealthy young man, huge football fan and decent footballer but not good enough to go professional wouldn't you be tempted to move to San Marino and meet the residency requirements so you could play for the national team? I think I'd be pretty tempted. You wouldn't have to live there all year round. You'd probably have to spend a fair bit of money in the country and probably set up a decent-sized business to grease the wheels a bit. To travel round Europe playing against major national teams that would be tempting though surely?

• Like 1

Wilshere comes across as a right prick with those recent comments about Englishness.

No he doesn't. The press, and the morons, who are jumping on the press's bandwagon do.

Can't believe in this day and age people believe what's written, and said by the media. They do things for effect, if you want the truth listen to the source. I'vebeen on other forums can't beleive the garbage that has come out of people.

Why can't those people get it through their thick heads that he never said anything about being born in England, and KP just shows himself up once again.Wilshire's comment relate to that United kid, not to people like KP (English heritage), Farrah (raised in Britain pretty much all his life) etc.

Watching the news this morning made me realise how manipulative the BBC and ITV, commenting on the story, showing KP's tweets, but not showing Wilshire's tweets back putting an end to the story. KP once again showed he has small man syndrome, getting upset over something for no reason without actually thinking about it. maybe he's so stupid he forgot he's got english heritage, wouldn't surprise me.

I truly beleive Wilshire thinks people like that Unite lad shouldn't be allowed cos his status at the moment he can qualify for England in two years (or whatever it). If at the age of 19 you're in that situation you should not be allowed to play for that. And I agree with that. If people (some unbelievably probably do) think that's xenophobic, or whatever, then that says more about them, and their piss poor upbringing than me.

Edited by djamfisher
  • Like 1

In fairness to Wilshire he is getting a bit of slack from the media in last week or so its very unfair. The smoke issue is pathetic as others like Prosinecki, Rooney(i think)  Berbatov and Zidane have had them and never same deal.

as for his comments yesterday I think he is getting unfair slack over it, I think he meant only english qualified players should be allowed play and not people that have gained citizenship after staying for a period of time

Wilshere comes across as a right prick with those recent comments about Englishness.

No he doesn't. The press, and the morons, who are jumping on the press's bandwagon do.

Can't believe in this day and age people believe what's written, and said by the media. They do things for effect, if you want the truth listen to the source. I'vebeen on other forums can't beleive the garbage that has come out of people.

Why can't those people get it through their thick heads that he never said anything about being born in England, and KP just shows himself up once again.Wilshire's comment relate to that United kid, not to people like KP (English heritage), Farrah (raised in Britain pretty much all his life) etc.

Watching the news this morning made me realise how manipulative the BBC and ITV, commenting on the story, showing KP's tweets, but not showing Wilshire's tweets back putting an end to the story. KP once again showed he has small man syndrome, getting upset over something for no reason without actually thinking about it. maybe he's so stupid he forgot he's got english heritage, wouldn't surprise me.

I truly beleive Wilshire thinks people like that Unite lad shouldn't be allowed cos his status at the moment he can qualify for England in two years (or whatever it). If at the age of 19 you're in that situation you should not be allowed to play for that. And I agree with that. If people (some unbelievably probably do) think that's xenophobic, or whatever, then that says more about them, and their piss poor upbringing than me.

wow

This has all blown up because if a player has one good game for the scum, there is a clamour to get them into the England team.

It was inevitable that one would be a foreigner.

It's all tosh, and there is no comparison between football and cricket and rugby.

Besides which, why would any youngster pick England over Belgium at this moment in time?

Besides which, why would any youngster pick England over Belgium at this moment in time?

Better chance to get games?

Better chance to win something with Belgium.

Our media make comparisons with cricket and rugby, which are minority sports with a long history of players jumping countries. In the past it was because they were natives of countries that were excluded from international sport, but now it is all about money. You can make a lot more money playing for the England cricket team rather than South Africa, or the England rugby team rather than Western Samoa.

Football is a global sport, and youngsters should not be 'naturalised' in order to play for countries with which they have no connection.

Not really sure what the problem is with his comments. After the week he had it was probably best for him to keep his mouth shut but I don't find anything particularly wrong with what he said.

No doubt when Qatar have a bunch of Brazilians in their team for when they host the World Cup all the same people will be up in arms...

I still don't quite mean what he meant by only English people should play for England! If he didn't mean people born here, and he certainly doesn't mean people who have lived here for five minutes, what is his definition of an English person!?

John Barnes

Born in Jamaica. Raised in England. Played for England with distinction. As English as you and me.

Whereas Adnan Januzaj could never be English.

I honestly believe if Wilshire wasn't playing in London he wouldn't be anywhere near this England team. He's probably the weakest Arsenal midfielder and I've seen him play about 6 times this season snd he's been awful in every game.

Hmm bit harsh. I think he is a clearing in the woods and living in the 19th century when it comes to his views about nationality but he is still one of the most talented English midfielders out there. Now that doesnt mean he could ever be technically good enough to get into the Spain squad or anything but for us he is up there with the best we have.

Outside of his nationality views I am just as concerned that he regards the natural English style as putting the boot in. if one of our more technically gifted players thinks like that then we are in trouble imho.

I still don't quite mean what he meant by only English people should play for England! If he didn't mean people born here, and he certainly doesn't mean people who have lived here for five minutes, what is his definition of an English person!?

John Barnes

Born in Jamaica. Raised in England. Played for England with distinction. As English as you and me.

Maybe I have been living in the USA for too long but to my mind if Adnan Januzaj gets an UK passport then he is as English as you or me.

John Barnes

Maybe I have been living in the USA for too long but to my mind if Adnan Januzaj gets an UK passport then he is as English as you or me.

So if Gareth Bale gets a Spanish passport then he is as Spanish as Iker Casillas?

John Barnes

John Barnes was 14 when he moved to England. Januzaj was 16. Is there really that big of a difference?

John Barnes

You must have been living abroad too long if you don't understand this thing we have now called the European Union. 

im not a fan of wilshire at all, i think hes over rated for england purely for the fact he plays for arsenal, not good enough for england

however i think he also should of kept his mouth shut, hes in no position to make an opinion, maybe he feels his 'position' is under threat by better players? hes opened up a can of worms

my im a little old fashioned, but people with foreign names clearly arent english and shouldnt play for england, in any sport

John Barnes

As I say above, no doubt it will be different when the Qatari nation team is full of Brazilians who get a passport after two years playing in the Qatari league. Unlikely the same people will be coming out claiming that they will be as Qatari as the Emir.

my im a little old fashioned, but people with foreign names clearly arent english and shouldnt play for england, in any sport

:lol: 

We live in an era which is almost defined by globalisation... but your views are still outdated by thousands of years. You can not define nationality on name alone. 

How English is the Queen? If her surname was still Saxe-Coburg how would you feel?

Â