Coventry City

maqroll

The_Rev is in the crowd at that game!  

I was in the middle of nowhere in a tent in Australia listening on my little pocket radio to the world service at about 3am.

With us 2-0 I lost my temper, threw the radio out of the tent in the dark and never found it.

It wasn't until 2 days later when I saw a Coventry fan that I realised, couldn't help but laugh in his face when he told me.

The atmosphere for Merson's goal, wow

It was crazy.  It was crazy from the moment when Vassell scored, Coventry visibly wilted and it was just obvious to everybody that we were going to beat them from that point on.  They cut away from it in the video, but watch Ian Taylor after Pablo scored. He just faced the Holte (pretty much opposite where I was sitting) and gestured "GOING DOWN" to the Villa fans.  :D

Yeah, that's what drew me into being a Villa man, when I first started watching the highlights show back in the early 90's. Just a mystique about the stadium, and such thunderous noise. Seems like ages since Villa Park was like that.

It was crazy.  It was crazy from the moment when Vassell scored, Coventry visibly wilted and it was just obvious to everybody that we were going to beat them from that point on.  They cut away from it in the video, but watch Ian Taylor after Pablo scored. He just faced the Holte (pretty much opposite where I was sitting) and gestured "GOING DOWN" to the Villa fans.   :D

I remember the atmosphere changing at half time. The scores were read out and one (if not two IIRC) results were going against Coventry meaning they would be down anyway. It brought a massive cheer and their fans (& team) were subdued in the 2nd half. It was a memorable comeback.

One of my top 5 games of all time...still have a scar on my shin where I cut it on the seat in front as we all went mental at JPA's first goal for the club.

Also noticed that Carsley was a prick long before he went to small heath.

And what I'd give to see flair like JPA, Ginola and Merson in our team now...I used to love football back then.

It was crazy.  It was crazy from the moment when Vassell scored, Coventry visibly wilted and it was just obvious to everybody that we were going to beat them from that point on.  They cut away from it in the video, but watch Ian Taylor after Pablo scored. He just faced the Holte (pretty much opposite where I was sitting) and gestured "GOING DOWN" to the Villa fans.   :D

I remember the atmosphere changing at half time. The scores were read out and one (if not two IIRC) results were going against Coventry meaning they would be down anyway. It brought a massive cheer and their fans (& team) were subdued in the 2nd half. It was a memorable comeback.

Derby were winning at Old Trafford (from a goal scored by ex Nuneaton Boro man Malcolm Christie, which was equally brilliant if you live where I live) but Coventry would not have been relegated had they won at Villa Park.  It's a myth which has been spread by Coventry fans that Derby sent them down instead of Villa.  

Going into that game the table looked like this:

15 - West Ham - P36 Pts39

16 - Middlesbrough - P36 Pts38

17 - Derby - P36 Pts38

==========================

18 - Man City P36 Pts34

19 - Coventry P36 Pts33

20 - Bradford P35 Pts24 ®

Coventry could catch West Ham, Middlesbrough and Derby if they won their two final games and any of the three teams above them lost both of theirs.   

West Ham won 3-0 which took them to 42, out of Coventry's reach. 

Derby won 1-0 which took them to 41, out of Coventry's reach. 

Middlesbrough only drew 1-1 away at Bradford and they were losing that game until we were 3-2 up against Coventry. They went to 39 points, which Cov could match.  They could have been on 38 points had they not got the late equaliser which Cov could have beaten outright.  

Coventry could have took it to the final day of the season had they held on for a win at Villa Park.  They needed a hell of a swing on goal difference (27 goals!) to send Middlesbrough down with 39 points so while relegation was inevitable it wasn't mathematically impossible while Coventry were winning at Villa Park.  

If Middlesbrough had have lost against Bradford and gone into the final game on 38 points then they had Manchester United on the final game of the season back in the days when Manchester United actually had a good team.  Coventry would have had 36 and a game at home to Liverpool who had to play a FA cup final and a UEFA cup final within six days of the Coventry game. It was possible. If the Cov players gave up then more fool them.  

• Like 1

I'm glad I don't have much contact with the felchers! It was only a distant memory but from your post, the Derby score coming through at half time must have really shocked their fans - you can hardly hear a peep out of them in that highlights video in the second half. That Merson goal was mental though - great scenes of celebration.

I remember people on the Holte trashing our performance that season at the time saying it was the worst for years. What we would give to watch Merson in his pomp now!

video reminds me of the time I used to really enjoy following villa, grew up with little then gregory and it was great fun. Interest has almost consistently drained since then, though I think that's probably just me getting older, but I loved that team, Dion, Southgate Delaney, Merson, Tayls, Ugo, Alan Wright and his Ferrari, Juan Pablo and all the rest, quality team then

I'm glad I don't have much contact with the felchers! It was only a distant memory but from your post, the Derby score coming through at half time must have really shocked their fans - you can hardly hear a peep out of them in that highlights video in the second half. That Merson goal was mental though - great scenes of celebration.

I remember people on the Holte trashing our performance that season at the time saying it was the worst for years. What we would give to watch Merson in his pomp now!

Like I said earlier, I was at the game and I knew a load of lads who were in the Cov end.  They were in high spirits at half time if the text messages they were sending to me were anything to go by! :lol: 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yep, that's what they've done, but it;s London Midland's fault, nothing to do with anyone else.

It's ridiculous, especially when you consider that it will affect Wasps' fans more than City supporters, unless they stay at the top end of League 1 that is..

Talking of City, there's been a bit of whinging going on about the Ricoh and how there's Wasps and Rugby logos/posters everywhere, with hardly any footy stuff about at all.

This bearing in mind that the sky Blues now have a nice new hybrid pitch to play on (which looked lovely for the 7s on Friday) and the seats are still light blue. Throw in the fact that Cov have first dibs on fixture dates and the rent is a fraction of what it was in their previous tenancy.

The main complainer seems to be Mowbray, who has transformed the training ground with pics of 87 cup final everywhere and plenty of blue paint. He even had the colour of the team coach changed from Orange to City's colours. I suppose it all adds up to promote the history and identity of the club to the younger players, but at the end of the day, bleating about life at the Ricoh does smack of moaning for moaning's sake, all things considered.

Â