Coventry City

maqroll

I watched the game on sky today and a couple of their players impressed me - thrpeir winner was a cracking goal but I guess those players will end up leaving in the summer should  a decent bid come in so every cloud has a silver lining - their keeper pulled off a great save too in injury time but in fairness coventry stuck to their game plan and worked hard and oxford were poor on the day .

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Back to 9k next week.

Yep - I spoke to a guy who said it was goIng to be his first game in 26 yrs today - people come out of the woodwork for Wembley but next Saturday when they are relegated probably 35,000 of those their following today will be nowhere near the place .

7 hours ago, Eastie said:

As a footnote when I married my wife 20 years ago her brother refused to speak to her or come to the wedding as she was marrying villa scum .

That's insane.

13 hours ago, Eastie said:

Yep - I spoke to a guy who said it was goIng to be his first game in 26 yrs today - people come out of the woodwork for Wembley but next Saturday when they are relegated probably 35,000 of those their following today will be nowhere near the place .

Having a best mate who is a Coventry fan means I've been to a few games over the past few seasons and believe me when I say you can't really blame them for not going.

When I get pissed off at Villa being crap over the past couple of seasons, the fact we're not Coventry always cheers me up

Someone from work said they took 43,000 are they are seriously expecting to go out of business so were considering it their last hurrah.

Would be kind of sad if they didn't so openly hate Villa.

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Having a best mate who is a Coventry fan means I've been to a few games over the past few seasons and believe me when I say you can't really blame them for not going.

When I get pissed off at Villa being crap over the past couple of seasons, the fact we're not Coventry always cheers me up

I do hope you tell him that :)

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I do hope you tell him that :)

He's the one who tells me. 

Whenever I moan to him or on Twitter about Villa he usually comes back with a simple "Cov fan" and it shuts me up :D 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Someone from work said they took 43,000 are they are seriously expecting to go out of business so were considering it their last hurrah.

Would be kind of sad if they didn't so openly hate Villa.

I reckon we would probably take 50k if not more for a cup final if we were allocated that amount

The competition has always been an afterthought but been seriously devalued this season with all the premier league B teams introduced.

At least there were two proper teams in it rather than Chelsea under 23s v Leicester under 23s which could easily have happened.

I went to this two years ago when it was Walsall v Bristol City, think Walsall took something ridiculous like 35k that day (average home support 3.5k!)

At least Walsall that year had a mid table season.

Coventry have been abysmal this season. It would've been a bit like us winning the Carling Cup last year with our league season, would've devalued things imo. Final cup is a different matter with its prestige and our lack of success in it.

Re: the amount they took to Wembley v average home crowd at the Ricoh. Tickets for the final went to general sale and you could still buy them on the day at Wembley for the Cov end. I believe the total possible allocation was 46k, which they didn't quite sell. Under 16s tickets were £10, I heard of whole families going, kids, grandparents, aunties, uncles...many people I know viewed it simply as a a chance to go to Wembley, and weren't necessarily Cov fans. I was tempted to take my brother who has never been to Wembley too.

One of my best mates and his old man are Cov fans. Lovely people who I have some to-and-fro football banter with that hasnt involved any malice, spite or urine/spit/foreign objects being aimed at me. So im sad for them that such a shitty thing is happening to a football club that they love and have loved for many years.

Just a shame people like them are very much in the minority when it comes to supporting certain football teams

Edited by DJ_Villain

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Re: the amount they took to Wembley v average home crowd at the Ricoh. Tickets for the final went to general sale and you could still buy them on the day at Wembley for the Cov end. I believe the total possible allocation was 46k, which they didn't quite sell. Under 16s tickets were £10, I heard of whole families going, kids, grandparents, aunties, uncles...many people I know viewed it simply as a a chance to go to Wembley, and weren't necessarily Cov fans. I was tempted to take my brother who has never been to Wembley too.

Season ticket holders and people with booking history were allowed to buy something daft like 10 tickets at a time.

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Season ticket holders and people with booking history were allowed to buy something daft like 10 tickets at a time.

It was the same with Walsall.

In fairness those sorts of cup finals are much better for the average fan than the FA cup final where allocations are majorly reduced by the need to fit in more corporate fans,

On 02/04/2017 at 17:55, TrentVilla said:

You never went to Highfield Road did you?

And yes, everyone has idiot fans but theirs were something else.

I grew up with a Cov fan who took me to the last ever game at Highfield Road. I was a bit young to really know of the rivalry while they were in the Prem, so didn't think anything of going. It was the last ever game they were playing at a stadium they had been in for 100 years and all I heard everyone talk about around me was Villa. A bloke a few rows behind me was getting incredible wound up and angry just talking about us, it was weird. Then at full time, they were singing SOTV. It was quite a surreal experience, at the time I had no idea their obsession and hatred of us was to that level. Seemed like they gave more of a shit about us than they did their own team.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 08:48, kurtsimonw said:

I grew up with a Cov fan who took me to the last ever game at Highfield Road. I was a bit young to really know of the rivalry while they were in the Prem, so didn't think anything of going. It was the last ever game they were playing at a stadium they had been in for 100 years and all I heard everyone talk about around me was Villa. A bloke a few rows behind me was getting incredible wound up and angry just talking about us, it was weird. Then at full time, they were singing SOTV. It was quite a surreal experience, at the time I had no idea their obsession and hatred of us was to that level. Seemed like they gave more of a shit about us than they did their own team.

I've told this story before,

but I went to the Ricoh once with my mate. Most of their chants were SOTV. They performed one particularly loud rendition of it and my mate turned to me grinning saying "you must hate this".

I just laughed and said "we honestly couldn't give a shit" :D

He was more annoyed than I was!

• Like 3

Today's local paper reporting Sheffield united fans  scoffing that a club who took 43k to Wembley on Sunday have sold 150 , yes 150 tickets for tonight's all  ticket game at bramall lane .

Edited by Eastie

26 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Today's local paper reporting Sheffield united fans  scoffing that a club who took 43k to Wembley on Sunday have sold 150 , yes 150 tickets for tonight's all  ticket game at bramall lane .

I don't know why people are surprised by stuff like this though.

They have absolutely nothing to play for in the league. They're all but mathematically relegated to League 2. This after a run of seasons that makes our last 5 years look like heaven, and a real possibility of disappearing into nothingness in the near future. To be completely honest I'm surprised they're taking that many to a midweek away game in Yorkshire.

One of the reasons they took so many to Wembley was because so many of their fans were treating it as a last hurrah. One last thing to celebrate before nothingness. That and for my mate and others his age (he's 31), it's literally the only thing they've won in his lifetime.

Â