Coventry City

maqroll

I went to a mid week game at the Ricoh a few years ago, against Cardiff. They've been a limp, pathetic club for a while, I've never experienced such a pathetic atmosphere at a game, even at Villa park.

What were they thinking when they signed the deal for the Ricoh? They are better off disbanding the club and starting an FC Coventry or something because it's almost inevitable that they'll end up that way sooner or later, might as well be sooner.

Oh, there are plenty of 'decent' Cov fans, but they are a club who have a higher than average moron level.

I don't deny that.

As I said, I've been to a few of their games, and it's full of weirdos.

Also, what struck me last time was their seeming desire for direct football. They were actually playing really well. Keeping the ball, passing it round, creating half chances. They had a guy in the middle, Jennings I think, who looked really tidy.

But all their fans were shouting about how shit he was and demanding the defenders hoof it forward everytime they had the ball

"Hit the strikers!!!"

Weirdos

• 1 year later...

They have been playing at Sixfields so far this season, but just seen the headline on the beeb that they are heading back to The Ricoh early September.

I work with a Cov fan and in general he's a good chap. Apart from when you get on to Football / Villa. It really gets his backup, they REALLY hate Villa don't they.

Yeah they really do.

Think I've told this before. But my best mate is a cov fan, so I've been to the odd game with him.

At one particular one, in the cup, there was actually a lot of people at the Ricoh. Not far off a sell out (it was vs Newcastle in the League Cup, Owen got the winner in extra time lolz). Anyway, during this game the crowd erupted into a huge and passionate rendition of "shit on the villa" that went on for about 5 minutes. My mate joined in with all his might.

Then he turned to me grinning as if to say "How do you like that?!"

He found me to be practically wetting myself and mumbling "we couldn't give a flying **** about Coventry City"

• Like 3

I work with a Cov fan and in general he's a good chap. Apart from when you get on to Football / Villa. It really gets his backup, they REALLY hate Villa don't they.

Yeah they really do.

Think I've told this before. But my best mate is a cov fan, so I've been to the odd game with him.

At one particular one, in the cup, there was actually a lot of people at the Ricoh. Not far off a sell out (it was vs Newcastle in the League Cup, Owen got the winner in extra time lolz). Anyway, during this game the crowd erupted into a huge and passionate rendition of "shit on the villa" that went on for about 5 minutes. My mate joined in with all his might.

Then he turned to me grinning as if to say "How do you like that?!"

He found me to be practically wetting myself and mumbling "we couldn't give a flying **** about Coventry City"

This is why I consider Cov to be our 3rd rivals ahead of Wolves.

True story (long post, sorry): some years back I was driving on the West Cost in Norway with my wife and 2 year old kid. While waiting for a ferry I started speaking to an English guy. I asked about his tattoo and it was "Coventry City, son". As it happened I had been to the Ricoh just a few weeks before that so we talked and he was, well, nice enough. He offered to pay the entire fare for us and our car and went away to get it fixed. I asked my wife "should I tell him", and in her almighty wisdom adviced against it. In my almighty stupidness I decided against the advice and told him "you know, I am an Aston Villa fan". In front of my wife and 2 year old he turned completely grey and shouted "Aston Villa??!!! I fu***ing hate Aston Villa!!" Then he stormed off to his car, went in and never spoke to me again. All at a ferry waiting lot on the west coast of Norway... The idiot had already paid the fare for us. How I laughed...
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Â