Coventry City

maqroll

That article says that London Midland claim they told the Ricoh 5 years ago (when the project started) that they wouldn't have enough trains and that the suggested one train every 15 minutes was very ambitious.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone else see events this evening at Coventry?

With a few minutes to go and the score 1-1 with Sheff United the Coventry fans invaded the pitch in protest at their owners SISU who are in danger of putting the club out of business.

Only not many bothered to enter the pitch from the already empty stands and play resumed only for them to conceed almost immediately and lose the game.

They are in danger of relegation to League Two, becoming homeless (they already are but they soon won't even have their current rented home) and they are losing their training ground.

They are on the brink of absolute oblivion, they could well go to the wall.

• Like 2

They could merge with blues they both hate us.  They are both called City. Blues need a new ground and its only a few miles down the A45 so think it would be best for all concerned.  Renamed Anti Villa City.

• Like 2

It's difficult not to feel sorry for them* and there's a genuine chance that Coventry City Football Club won't exist as a league club next season, they don't have any money, they don't have a ground, they don't have a training ground, at times in the last couple of years they've had to field squads with a lot of a academy players in and their owners don't care. It's a horrible situation for any football club to find itself in and their supporters are most likely looking at a renamed, rebranded Coventry starting again from non-league football at some point before too long.

*Difficult, but not impossible.

• Like 2

What is happening to them is horrible and every fans worst nightmare, as a football fan I feel hugely sorry for them. As a Villa fan I don't, part of me wants to laugh as I'm sure anyone who visited Highfield Road as an away fan would.

I think there is a very real chance they will fold in the not too distant future. It will then remain to be seen if they can rise like AFC Wimbledon or languish in non league.

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's difficult not to feel sorry for them* and there's a genuine chance that Coventry City Football Club won't exist as a league club next season, they don't have any money, they don't have a ground, they don't have a training ground, at times in the last couple of years they've had to field squads with a lot of a academy players in and their owners don't care. It's a horrible situation for any football club to find itself in and their supporters are most likely looking at a renamed, rebranded Coventry starting again from non-league football at some point before too long.

*Difficult, but not impossible.

Although they never reached the heights of Coventry, this is exactly what happened to Darlington. In some respects it's worked out fairly well for them. Although they've had to spend a few seasons playing outside Darlington, they're moving back next year to a new ground, and the club has been rebuilt from the foundations up putting them in a much more stable place.  

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sorry state of affairs, really the only club I'd want this to happen to is Birmingham City.

I wouldn't even want that to happen to them. This is a terrible thing. We may not like City, but to lose a club you support is heartbreaking. 

Don't clubs have to have official training grounds and facilities for their players and youths? I don't understand how any of this is legal. There has to be some rules in place so someone like Tony can't buy up City and just destroy the club till they fold. 

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I wouldn't even want that to happen to them. This is a terrible thing. We may not like City, but to lose a club you support is heartbreaking. 

Ever been to an away game at the Sty and been pelted with rocks and coins?

Forget this "we're all football fans" bollocks, I'd put those words removed out of business today, if I could. **** them.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Did anyone else see events this evening at Coventry?

With a few minutes to go and the score 1-1 with Sheff United the Coventry fans invaded the pitch in protest at their owners SISU who are in danger of putting the club out of business.

Only not many bothered to enter the pitch from the already empty stands and play resumed only for them to conceed almost immediately and lose the game.

They are in danger of relegation to League Two, becoming homeless (they already are but they soon won't even have their current rented home) and they are losing their training ground.

They are on the brink of absolute oblivion, they could well go to the wall.

I do feel a great deal of sympathy for their fans although It didn't do their players any favours invading the pitch before the end of the game. I remember the  Highfield Road days and being attacked on the way back to the railway station by their fans but I hold them no malice.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Ever been to an away game at the Sty and been pelted with rocks and coins?

Forget this "we're all football fans" bollocks, I'd put those words removed out of business today, if I could. **** them.

You forgot bottles full of piss

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

I do feel a great deal of sympathy for their fans although It didn't do their players any favours invading the pitch before the end of the game. I remember the  Highfield Road days and being attacked on the way back to the railway station by their fans but I hold them no malice.

I struggle I really do. 

Having been a kid visiting Highfield Road and had all manner thrown I started with a very low opinion of their fans.

Then as a teenager I saw a group of their fans attack a young dad walking hand in hand with his little boy who who was wearing a Villa scarf.

It is the only time in 30 odd years I've got involved in that sort of thing because I simply couldn't not help get him out of it. 

I know this isn't representative of all their fans but it is representative of every single time I visited as an away fan and every single one of their fans I've encountered.

So actually, I've just convinced myself any sympathy I had is gone. I hope they go to the wall.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

They're genuinely doomed.

Spoke to my best mate about them the other day (he's a cov fan).

Sisu say they won't sell the club until they can make a profit on it, but that they also want it to be self sufficient.
So they don't put any money in to make the losses as small as possible, which just means they fall lower, make less money and then put less money in repeat forever.

Literally their only hope is if someone buys them for enough money for Sisu to make a profit. Which will never happen because they have nothing.

Coventry are the next club to face genuine extinction I reckon.

On 17/12/2016 at 08:04, TrentVilla said:

I struggle I really do. 

Having been a kid visiting Highfield Road and had all manner thrown I started with a very low opinion of their fans.

Then as a teenager I saw a group of their fans attack a young dad walking hand in hand with his little boy who who was wearing a Villa scarf.

It is the only time in 30 odd years I've got involved in that sort of thing because I simply couldn't not help get him out of it. 

I know this isn't representative of all their fans but it is representative of every single time I visited as an away fan and every single one of their fans I've encountered.

So actually, I've just convinced myself any sympathy I had is gone. I hope they go to the wall.

They hate us with a passion - If they do go to the wall I will celebrate as I did when Paul Merson  curled that ball into the top corner back in 2001.

i work in the city and the hatred towards villa is as strong now as it was back in the 80s.

• Like 4

Â