Albums of the Year - 2012

Sureshot

Don't think I've purchased or acquired an album all year thinking about it

my mate didn't believe me when I said i didn't have a clue who Adele was ... but i still don't other than the James Bond theme she did .. I only became aware of lady Gaga the other year when i was in Taiwan as basically it was played 24 hrs a day everywhere you went

Absolute 80's ..and sometime Absolute 90's is all I need music wise when it comes to the radio

ohh .. thinking about it I did see Goyte live earlier this year didn't I .. mind you I didn't know any of his songs either

It's been a really, really good year so it's difficult to even limit to 20, but here goes (in no particular order):

Swans - The Seer - Heard OF them, never heard anything BY them

Egyptian Hip Hop - Good Don't Sleep - Never heard of them

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! - Heard OF them, never heard anything BY them

Paul Banks - Banks - Never heard of him

My Dying Bride - A Map for all our Failures - Heard OF them, never heard anything BY them

Menomena - Moms - Never heard of them

Grizzly Bear - Shields - Never heard of them

Sigur Ros - Valtari - Heard OF them, never heard anything BY them

The Heavy - The Glorious Dead - Never heard of them

High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis - Never heard of them

Baroness - Yellow and Green - Never heard of them

Japandroids - Celebration Rock - Heard OF them, never heard anything BY them

Beach House - Bloom - Never heard of them

Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine - Never heard of them

Ministry - Relapse - Never heard of them

We Are Augustines - Rise Ye Sunken Ships - Never heard of them

Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage - Never heard of them

Hawk Eyes - Ideas - Never heard of them

Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge - I bought it !

Alabama Shakes - Boys and Girls - Heard one or two tracks, pretty good, but wouldn't buy

Really good year.

I guess my top three would be the only three 2012 albums that I bought:

1) Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

2) Bob Dylan - Tempest

3) Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge

Would definitely also have included Steven Wilson's "Grace for Drowning", which I bought this year, but came out in 2011.

That Swans album was good, forgot about that.

There seems to be an increasing trend in these topics to say "Never heard of them" like it's an acceptable reason for not caring about a band or album. I'd never heard of Mumford and Sons before I listened to them. Now I know that Mumford and Sons are shit. Easy!

It's been a really, really good year so it's difficult to even limit to 20, but here goes (in no particular order):

Swans - The Seer

Egyptian Hip Hop - Good Don't Sleep

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

Paul Banks - Banks

My Dying Bride - A Map for all our Failures

Menomena - Moms

Grizzly Bear - Shields

Sigur Ros - Valtari

The Heavy - The Glorious Dead

High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

Baroness - Yellow and Green

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Beach House - Bloom

Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine

Ministry - Relapse

We Are Augustines - Rise Ye Sunken Ships

Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

Hawk Eyes - Ideas

Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge

Alabama Shakes - Boys and Girls

Really good year.

This is a sweet list. I'm still listening to the new Kashiwa Daisuke so I'll refrain from posting a list for a while.

There seems to be an increasing trend in these topics to say "Never heard of them" like it's an acceptable reason for not caring about a band or album.

Not what I was implying, simply a statement of fact.

That said, I have no intention of investigating any of them. I have more than enough music to listen to already.

There seems to be an increasing trend in these topics to say "Never heard of them" like it's an acceptable reason for not caring about a band or album. I'd never heard of Mumford and Sons before I listened to them. Now I know that Mumford and Sons are shit. Easy!

I don't really understand what you mean.

"an acceptable reason about not caring about a band"?

How can you care about a band if you've never heard of them?

There seems to be an increasing trend in these topics to say "Never heard of them" like it's an acceptable reason for not caring about a band or album.

I think it probably is an acceptable reason for not caring about an album to be honest.

Most music threads on VillaTalk are populated with the names of bands & albums that are alien to most of people, certainly those who don't take a particularly keen interest in music. You couldnt possibly give every band / album that's mentioned in these threads a chance, it'd be a full time job!

Nah it's just when it's written down it kind of gives off the 'self-important' impression. Not that I'm saying you guys are doing it, it's just that I suppose I know a lot of people (not through choice) that issue the 'I've never heard of them, therefore they're crap' attitude.

That said, I also know a lot of these:

Hipster-Kitty-Youve-never-heard-of-them-Trust-me.jpg

Indeed. My "never heard of them" bears no relation to how good they may be. If they are to your taste, they are probably brilliant. [1]

But I'm of a different generation. I could probably list a hundred albums that I consider masterpieces and that most people under 50 (and many over) won't have heard of.

Just the way it is.

[1] EDIT: Unless they are rap/hip-hop, in which case they are definitely shite.

Edited by mjmooney

Nah it's just when it's written down it kind of gives off the 'self-important' impression. Not that I'm saying you guys are doing it, it's just that I suppose I know a lot of people (not through choice) that issue the 'I've never heard of them, therefore they're crap' attitude.

That said, I also know a lot of these:

Hipster-Kitty-Youve-never-heard-of-them-Trust-me.jpg

With me it's more a case of "I've never heard of them, therefore I'm crap". (Or atleast my knowledge of the music scene is).

Â