Albums of the Year - 2012

Sureshot

Re: hip hop - there are many genres I don't much like, but I can tolerate. That one is beyond unlistenable, it's utter torture. Completely beyond me how anybody could enjoy it.

I agree that a lot of Hip Hop and RnB is garbage.

The genre for me that I can't stand is that sort of male ballady RnB. Trey Songz/crap Usher (as opposed to dance usher)/Chris Brown that sort of thing.

But GOOD hip hop/rap/RnB is some of my favourite music.

Bringing me full circle to my favourite album of the year, Channel Orange. Bloody brilliant album.

Dubstep is much different to hip hop. Not the kind of music I like to listen to unless I'm in a club/at a party though

I suppose I'm lumping together any form of "black" dance-based music that has arisen since, oh I dunno, disco. It all sounds the same, it all sounds really, really horrible.

Whereas the sort of noise/guitar/indie wide area, while I don't love it, I can sort of see the appeal.

It really depends on where you jump into hip-hop. A lot of it is very cynically produced machismo garbage, but some of it is incredibly expressive about some very pertinent issues in some of the most troubled parts of the world. You do have to look harder, though, as most of the better stuff isn't machismo garbage and tends to get overlooked, and usually gets put online as a free mixtape and maybe picked up down the line.

Channel Orange is a very good album, as Frank Ocean is a very talented lyricist. Although that album is closer to RnB I suppose.

i got one hip hop album this year, watch the throne, starts off brilliantly with some really good songs and then by the end of the album just turns in to songs that are moaning about the misfortunes of black people in america

in other words it went shit

sigur Ros....heard of them, bever heard anything BY them"

I bet you have, you just don't know it - that planet Earth programme with all the HD wildlife and Waves and Icebergs and David Attenborough and BBC trailers was drenched with Sigur Ros music.

That Swans album was good, forgot about that.

There seems to be an increasing trend in these topics to say "Never heard of them" like it's an acceptable reason for not caring about a band or album. I'd never heard of Mumford and Sons before I listened to them. Now I know that Mumford and Sons are shit. Easy!

until I read this post I'd never heard of Mumford and son either :blush:

I sorta like what I like and don't really hear any new music .. posted on here a few years back that I walked in a record shop once heard something playing that I liked the sound of so asked at the counter and bought the album ..that was Amy MacDonald , who surprise surprise i'd never heard of ..might actually be the last album I bought

Yeah, I've probably heard stuff on soundtracks and adverts without realising.

Like I said, I might well like much of that list, but it's doubtful I would like it THAT much - and I have so much "old" music to listen to, it would just be pointless.

Anyway, a few that spring to mind, for me, that I've bought and liked this year

Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts

Neil Young

Richard Hawley

PiL

St Etienne

School of Seven Bells

Smoke Fairies

Jesca Hoop

First Aid Kit

Swans

Lower dens

Mark Lanegan

The Weddoes

probably my Fave would be either Smoke Fairies or Jesca Hoop, but nothing this year as good as my fave from last year, which was I am kloot's Sky at night.

Was a bit disappointed with Valtari and also with Godspeed - both Ok, but not as good as previous albums by them

Â