January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Got told earlier that another defender we've been linked with recently is considered too good for the league he currently plays for.- Championship

Wouldn't be surprised to see him land. No ITK at all I'm merely speculating - decided to look him up see what he was about...

At the age of 5 he was playing in the U9s team for his local club!!!

James Chester - Apparently joined Manchester Utd age 8 & stayed with them until 2010. Fed up of being loaned out here there & everywhere & playing in the reserves or occasional cup games he found himself on loan to Carlisle - where he did very well & wanted to extend his loan deal a bit more so he could play football. Instead he got scouted by Hull City & made the decision to leave the dream, take a massive pay cut & step down so he could play the game he'd loved playing since the age of 5!

Noticed under Steve Bruce he's part of a back 3 and he's apparently starting to attract scouts.

He's only 23 and he's shining in the Championship - looks different gravy so one or two are saying noticed & HE was in Championship Team of the week

again this week!

Is he actually a better option than a Lescott whose happy to receive his wads of cash but hardly kicks a ball in anger?

James Chester has played an awful lot of football in his now long career, including with Man Utd -

To me this is the type of player fits Lamberts remit - passing the Dario Grady "the Good People" litmus test as I posted earlier -

Bet he'd come to the Villa if asked!

Edited by JulieB

Got told earlier that another defender we've been linked with recently is considered too good for the league he currently plays for.- Championship

Wouldn't be surprised to see him land. No ITK at all I'm merely speculating - decided to look him up see what he was about...

At the age of 5 he was playing in the U9s team for his local club!!!

James Chester - Apparently joined Manchester Utd age 8 & stayed with them until 2010. Fed up of being loaned out here there & everywhere & playing in the reserves or occasional cup games he found himself on loan to Carlisle - where he did very well & wanted to extend his loan deal a bit more so he could play football. Instead he got scouted by Hull City & made the decision to leave the dream, take a massive pay cut & step down so he could play the game he'd loved playing since the age of 5!

Noticed under Steve Bruce he's part of a back 3 and he's apparently starting to attract scouts.

He's only 23 and if he's shining in the Championship - looks different gravy so one or two are saying

Is he actually a better option than a Lescott whose happy to receive his wads & hardly kicks a ball?

James Chester has played an awful lot of football in his now long career, including with Man Utd - Bet he'd come to the Villa if asked!

Would be pretty happy with Chester joining us as he's a very good reliable CB who's got plenty of years left and a fair bit of development left in him, we could get him for what 2-4m? Would be a good little signing!

Slightly different, don t you think?

Doug would say, we're going to spend £20m this summer with the specific intention of misleading the fans to think he meant on transfer fees. Then he'd spend £6m, and then claim he meant to include wages in the figure, sorry if he didnt make that clear.

But when you are trying to rationally discuss the cost of a player, you have to include his wages, for one very simple reason. Wages are the real cost.

Again, I would have thought that fans of this club would just understand that after what we've been through. Another major reason that we are where we are is stupid wage offers to the likes of Given, Dunne and a whole army of others. But look, if it doesnt suit your argument, go ahead and ignore it. Pretend we can just go out and pay any amount of wages. But really, we all know a free transfer on a 5 year contract at 60k per week costs £15m, exactly the same as a player who costs £9m in transfers on 40k a week for 3 years. If they both get sold for £10m at the end of their contracts we havent made a profit on either - they have still both cost us £5m each.

No one wants a repeat of beye and Heskey on massive wages doing **** all for the team.

But i still believe we should be able to offer decent wages to the odd quality player without worrying about resale value for every player.

Like I said earlier, do we not have the 7th highest income in the league? Surely our finances shouldn't be run the same way that newly promoted clubs are.

Has anyone actually seen James Chester play ?

Seen Highlights and know a few United fans who think they shouldn't have let him go!

Also used to live in Cumbria about 20mins from Carlisle so had a few Carlisle supporting mates rave about him.

Edited by Mattyp_avfc

As to Lescot's age etc. How old was McGrath and Merson when we bought them. Merson we paid at the time a high fee and I feel we got Value for Money from him.

I cant see Lescott happening but it wouldnt be a bad thing.

I like what Lambert is doing but a couple of older heads is good.

Fuzzy memory time again but Im sure when the European Winning team was being sold off as they got old together and we used the Kids, we needed someone like Withe to be a figure head to the team. Not sure how young that team was but I remember a headline Barton's Babes when a young team with Paul Rideout up front beat West Ham 1-0.

Old heads are needed to keep the youngsters in check!

this just proves we are no longer a big club when were looking a championship quality players and not champions league quality plyers

our title of big club evaporated into thin air years ago, man city, man utd, chelsea, liverpool and arsenal are big clubs, were just mediocre bland relegation fodder with thanks to the bad appointments of managers and their choice of plaayers, not for many years, in most of our life times now anyway will we ever be a top club

this just proves we are no longer a big club when were looking a championship quality players and not champions league quality plyers

our title of big club evaporated into thin air years ago, man city, man utd, chelsea, liverpool and arsenal are big clubs, were just mediocre bland relegation fodder with thanks to the bad appointments of managers and their choice of plaayers, not for many years, in most of our life times now anyway will we ever be a top club

Not this argument again.

How are we supposed to attract Champions League quality players then?

We attracted two Champions league players last window. Holman & KEA. It is not a problem for a club of our stature. We can attract just about anybody we want to this club assuming we can afford the money. It is getting the right players in that we have struggled with over the past few years.

We attracted two Champions league players last window. Holman & KEA. It is not a problem for a club of our stature. We can attract just about anybody we want to this club assuming we can afford the money. It is getting the right players in that we have struggled with over the past few years.

Hopefully we will attract players of a higher standard than Holman....

Okay

Jimmy Rimmer - Arsenal Reserve

Nigel Spink - Chelmsford City

Kenny Swain - Chelseaa Winger we converted to Right Back

Allan Evans - Dunfermline Striker we converted to CB

Ken McNaught - Big Money Siging at time from Everton but was 28 so old

Gary Williams - Youth Squad

Colin Gibson - Youth Squad

Des Bremner - Came from Hibs Not sure how ell known he was

Dennis Mortimer - Coventry

Gordon Cowans - Youth Squad

Eammon Deacy - Irish League Not sure what Team. Wrote in asking for Trial

Tony Morley - Div 2 player at Burnley

Gary Shaw - Youth Team

Peter Withe - Journeyman 28 yrs from I think Div 2 Newcastle but our record Signing

David Geddis - Ipswich Reserve

The above players were involved during 1980-1982 where we won the league and the European Cup. If that team/squad was put together now the majority here would be writing them off for relegation.

Its not about buying big names etc it is about building a team and that can be done by buying players from anywhere. If they fit in and do a job for the team, the team is stronger.

Not this argument again.

How are we supposed to attract Champions League quality players then?

not sure when we were last were able to call ourselves a big club, every good season in my lifetime has usually followed two or three bad. The big stadium big following, big club argument feels pretty hollow when we can't even get much over 30k in our 42K capacity stadium (or thereabouts). To me it's more about our huge potential if our club were correctly managed and run - we could be a massive club because we have the right fan base and infrastructure, but we seem to incapable of finding the balance, right now it feels like virtually everything that was good about our playing squad has been stripped away.

It feels like we sold our soul to the devil to attain our three top six finishes under MON, and now the devil has come to collect.

Seen Highlights and know a few United fans who think they shouldn't have let him go!

Also used to live in Cumbria about 20mins from Carlisle so had a few Carlisle supporting mates rave about him.

Yeah I remember when he played for em - thought he was the best thing since sliced bread!

He wasn't asked to leave Man Utd apparently - it's just like Cahill situation - a team came in for him & he decided to take the plunge & move.

Fair play to him - it shows he's got a genuine hunger for the game prepared to forego his WAG lifestyle & no doubt pay packet & play for Hull City.

Where have I heard those words before??!!! - young & hungry

Complete opposite situation of Lescott who seems happy to be rotting in their reserves earning his billions!

Ironic!

Hopefully we will attract players of a higher standard than Holman....

No doubt we can (although I happen to rate Holman). Its all about making good signings same as any other club. We have had more than our fair share of duds over the past few years but there is no bar to the level of players we can sign. We can attract and sign internationals and champions league players no problem. Getting the right ones is the tough part.