January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I'd love to see Keane back to play alongside Benteke. Downing would improve us immeasurably. I think Lescott is quality but I find it hard to see us sorting out either a loan or transfer deal for him unfortunately. Finding another centre-half from Europe shouldn't be that hard anyway.

January, what a conundrum.

Firstly, I don't think Randy minds paying high fees or wages, but I think he does mind paying high wages to players that do not represent value for money. It's quite an important distinction to make I think, should we ship off Dunne, Warnock and Hutton I wouldn't be surprised to see their wages instantly reinvested in players that are a bit younger, with less experience and more potential.

The predicament we have is that we've undertaken a policy of signing young players with hunger and potential whilst offloading experienced players who do not represent value for money. Anyway, our squad is paper thin and lacking in quality throughout and our youth policy is not bearing fruit, at the moment. So do we go out and panic buy, like we did with Bent, in order to keep us in the division or do we stick with our young player policy?

As much as Darren Bent was important to our survival in the past, this season he has become a problem, through poor form and lack of faith from Lambert. He must be our highest earner and he isn't even playing when he is fit. I suspect Lambert would like to keep him, but is torn due to the amount of resources he takes up. We may struggle to sell him and make a huge loss. It will be viewed as an acceptable loss by many but do we risk doing something similar this window?

I'd stick with the youth approach, but up the stakes a bit. I'm not a scout, and I don't have a huge knowledge of who's out there, however I know that sometimes you get what you pay for. Lowton and Westwood are acceptable signings, they were cheap and could develop into better players. But I'd like to see more Bentekes than Bowerys. Players with potential to be really good, not players with potential to be decent.

We also need to be shrewd. Let's look at players with 6 months left on their contracts, and try to pick a few off before they are released on a free and the wages get silly. Or players with proven quality who need a fancy a new challenge or where a move hasn't worked out for them.

We need to take risks but calculated risks. More Bennetts and Bowerys and frankly, we're ****.

Edited by PompeyVillan
  • Like 1

Saw on a Twitter from West Ham side of things they are interested in Warnock be good to get him off the books.

For all the talk of Bent how many games has he played in the last year or so , since the injury at Wigan he has hardly played through injury and being dropped so

a)how much of a loss would be be and B) who would actually pay decent cash for him given his recent injury record?

Sorry but why the "hate" for Jordan Bowery??? 0.o (Sorry for being OT too) But for the love of Mcgrath, he's done nothing wrong, he's come on as a sub in the prem twice and played against Man $ity and has worked his socks off when he plays..... for the price we paid there's no gamble there!

Two days away from the window being open and no leaks about who we are buying yet? I really hope we are just being good at keeping our cards close to our chest. We should have 2 signings done and ready for the first day of the window with another 3 or 4 in process.

We won't sign anyone going by the recent interview. It's not a priority apparently. So I wouldn't expect something to happen in the first couple of days! If it does happen, it will be the final week where maybe we will see someone come in.

I would be very very surprised if someone did join in the first week.

Two days away from the window being open and no leaks about who we are buying yet? I really hope we are just being good at keeping our cards close to our chest. We should have 2 signings done and ready for the first day of the window with another 3 or 4 in process.

No leaks because as usual the winter window is historically a bad time to do business, its desperation stakes, can't see anyone decent wanting to come in to us.

Maybe a couple of pie in the sky premonitions 'Der hammer' Thomas Hitzlsperger only has a contract with Everton till January and he is playing in the 1st team for them.

Also Michael Dawson, he may be tempted to us or not, and also a cheeky bid for Arshavin he's not doing much apart from bench warming at Arsenal.

Other than that i think i might be searching in the wrong league, maybe check out the Blue Square Premier.........

We won't sign anyone going by the recent interview. It's not a priority apparently. So I wouldn't expect something to happen in the first couple of days! If it does happen, it will be the final week where maybe we will see someone come in.

I would be very very surprised if someone did join in the first week.

No leaks because as usual the winter window is historically a bad time to do business, its desperation stakes, can't see anyone decent wanting to come in to us.

Maybe a couple of pie in the sky premonitions 'Der hammer' Thomas Hitzlsperger only has a contract with Everton till January and he is playing in the 1st team for them.

Also Michael Dawson, he may be tempted to us or not, and also a cheeky bid for Arshavin he's not doing much apart from bench warming at Arsenal.

Other than that i think i might be searching in the wrong league, maybe check out the Blue Square Premier.........

Madness. Even before the past three games it was obvious we needed midfield signings in January.

Sorry but why the "hate" for Jordan Bowery??? 0.o (Sorry for being OT too) But for the love of Mcgrath, he's done nothing wrong, he's come on as a sub in the prem twice and played against Man $ity and has worked his socks off when he plays..... for the price we paid there's no gamble there!

I don't think anyone hates Bowery, it's more that we don't have the luxury of buying players that aren't good enough/experienced enough to play in the first team straight away and improve us. Bowery right now is a passenger, he may well be good enough for prem football but i doubt Lambert will start him and right now we can't afford to carry anyone. I hope he will be a soon be good player, but soon isn't now.

Edited by VillanousOne

I don't think anyone hates Bowery, it's more that we don't have the luxury of buying players that aren't good enough/experienced enough to play in the first team straight away and improve us. Bowery right now is a passenger, he may well be good enough for prem football but i doubt Lambert will start him and right now we can't afford to carry anyone. I hope he will be a soon be good player, but soon isn't now.

Fair play I would imagine should we sign a striker JB will go out on loan..... I do think he will be a good player for us... when he came on last time out, he showed urgency and a good desire to try and get a goal!

Totally agree, Bowery is probably a prospect for the future however that is not what we require right now, he is not being blooded correctly, unfair to buy him in the first place.