January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

So on transfer deadline day and the 11th hour the selling club shaft us and you blame the club??

Joke mate.

There's no shafting, it's there player they are entitled to want the money now instead of a year down the line. We didn't get it done and looks like we missed out on a top player.

I find it hard to believe that Lambert was happy to fork our £4 million on Lowton and £7 million on Benteke but wanted to take a look at bony for a year before buying. That doesn't seem very likely.

What's more likely is Lerner didn't want to spend much more last window and once the tv money increased the following year would then buy the player.

Guzan

Lowton-Vlaar-Clark-XXXX

Westwood-Bannan

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Benteke

All the X'd out positions need to be filled in January. I think we could get bye with Nzogbia/Gabby/Weiman filling one of the wing positions a game, but we need more creative attacking options for sure. A new LB would be nice as week, but I do not think Lambert will give up on Stevens/Bennett this quickly.

Three quality attacking players seems very doable in January. Let's see it.

• Like 1

I'd say more

----------------Guzan------------------

Lowton---Vlaar---Clark------********

---------Westwood--*********---------

-------------------------------------------

*******--------Ireland----------Gabby

-----------Benteke---------------------

The *'s are the spots that need strengthening. The others can wait until the summer.

I'd say more

The *'s are the spots that need strengthening. The others can wait until the summer.

We also need someone to rotate with Ireland or fill in if he gets injured/suspended. I'd also say Bannan has been pretty good this fall but we need another good passer like him.

Agree totally with Raymond. Those are the positions I would look at. We especially need new players in the attacking areas. 12 goals from 14 games is not enough, and that's even with Benteke absolutely on fire.

Bennett is interesting, I've heard very mixed reports from people who watched at Boro - some say he was excellent some say they didn't know how he got in the team. Stevens is doing ok but for the future we need someone who can get at the opposition and get crosses in. Our play is all focussed down the right at the moment, a threat down the left would help us open up teams.

I see it like this with the squad/back up players in ( ). We do of course have some options in many positions but i have only included the ones who for me are good enough

.........................................Guzan (Given)

Lowton (????).......Vlaar (Baker),,,,,,,Clark (????)....???? (Stevens)

???? (????)......Westwood (El Ahmadi).... ???? (Bannan).......???? (????)

............Benteke (Bowery).................???? (Bent)

SUBS: Agbonlahor, Ireland, Lichaj, Given.

The good news is we are getting the teams spine together slowly with Guzan, Vlaar, Clark, Westwood & Benteke although we have no real back ups for the spine with the exception of maybe Given in goal...although jury is out on him as it stands it seems. For me our priority now is a strong midfielder & a striker to suit Benteke. this would complete the spine & make us much stronger. The predicament is surely what type of midfielder do we need & just what strike partner would work with Benteke?

Then we need to sort out the creativity which is abysmal at the moment.

IMO we need January to come soon as possible, our midfield is still very weak, even though Westwood looks like he will be a Villa player for many years to come. We still need a holding midfielder (Petrov like) a decent winger who can take on players and successfully beat them and an attacking midfielder, who is better than Ireland. Would also like to see a stronger left-back but can't see Lambert giving up on Bennett or Stevens after just 4 months.

Wouldn't mind seeing this come 1st Feburay, this is without Bent's situation being resolved either.

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar © Baker (Olson from Blackburn)

Westwood (Biagia from Anderlecht)

Gabby X (?) Ince (Blackpool)

Benteke

Subs: Given, Clark, Lichaj, Delph, KEA, Ireland and (?)

FIXED*

I see it like this with the squad/back up players we have. We do of course have some options in many positions.

.........................................Guzan/Given*

Lowton/Lichaj*.......Vlaar/Baker,,,,,,,Clark/Dunne*....Lichaj*/Stevens

...{Hutton}*

Albrighton*/Weimann......Westwood/El Ahmadi.... Bannan/Delph*.......Holman/NZogbia*

..........................................Herd/Makoun* .............Ireland*

......................................Benteke/Bowery..........Agbonlahor/Bent*

.......................................................... {Delfouneso}*

The ones in stars IMO will be leaving this club between January - June all for various different reasons which is another topic in itself for another day.

Of the players sold and the voids in them positions they leave they will definately need replaced and filled immediately.

If we look at it now the defence is gong to be the biggest area we need to focus on right away. A couple of Injuries/suspensions there and its not going to pleasant viewing.

I don't feel everything will be sorted in January but a few new better quality faces to replace those in the current positions that leave will do us good.

I'd say more

What about Zog at LB