No F' in football

MikeMcKenna

Whilst I think we desperately need some quality in January to steady the ship, last night while watching Man Citeh v Ajax I began to wonder whether there is hope after all for cash poor clubs like Aston Villa in the medium to long term.

Ajax have proved over two games that an organised, committed "team" with a combination of home grown players, youth and a few imported quality players can outplay a disfunctional bunch of Prima Donnas on mega money. Unlike citeh they functioned truely as a team which IMHO is the way forward for clubs like us. If we can overtime acquire more quality who knows?

If Lambert is as good as many think he is, I believe that maybe it is possible to do the "impossible" and break the stranglehold of the big 4 or 5 English clubs.

Discuss....

There's no I in team but there is a 'Me' :)

In all seriousness, I totally agree, although I do think it's harder these days to be one of the clubs outside the bracket of the top earners, with a club spirit, if everyone is on the same wavelength, it is possible to achieve a certain level of success.

Even if we got a half decent team together to get us to 5th, we wouldn't be able to stop the other top 4 clubs coming in and getting them, rinse and repeat. Our league has too much money it in, that's the main problem.

I wouldn't mind if we just used youth systems and had a trade system or draft system. Something like what the Yanks do in their sports. Most people wouldn't like it at all, but its the only way anything is going to change.

Whilst I think we desperately need some quality in January to steady the ship, last night while watching Man Citeh v Ajax I began to wonder whether there is hope after all for cash poor clubs like Aston Villa in the medium to long term.

Ajax have proved over two games that an organised, committed "team" with a combination of home grown players, youth and a few imported quality players can outplay a disfunctional bunch of Prima Donnas on mega money. Unlike citeh they functioned truely as a team which IMHO is the way forward for clubs like us. If we can overtime acquire more quality who knows?

If Lambert is as good as many think he is, I believe that maybe it is possible to do the "impossible" and break the stranglehold of the big 4 or 5 English clubs.

Discuss....

I've always thought that mike...its just a case of having easy access to reasonable funds a decent scouting system, a decent youth academy and 2 good suporting assistants with a manager that has a good eye for a player too.....easy really.

we've had it before, we can do it again

Yeah, the rinse and repeat nature of constantly selling our best players to the clubs that court them through the press the longest and hardest is really starting to rankle. Until that changes, we're forever destined to be little Aston Villa. Nice club with a nice name and sexy colours. Other than that, we might as well be called Aston Vanilla, as we're always getting licked...

It ain't gonna change any time soon sadly, so we either put up with it as fans - and many of us will. Or we go and do something else with our money and watch the games on TV or Internet. I've said before, I have other interests away from football that guarentee me enjoyment. And whilst I am enjoying life under Lambert at the moment, there's no way I would stay a ST holder if we had to endure a long spell under something like Eck. Sorry, life's too short. Fair weather maybe, fickle, certainly. Sorry - but football ain't everything I have in my life and is certainly not the most important thing I care about. I have a team at home I need to look after...

Discuss....

You're right, btw. ALthough the counter is based around 2 arguments

1. That Ajax wil end up with their best players leaving, and they'll have to replace them

2. That Ajax, as arguably the richest team in the Netherlands are able to "do a Man U" to all the other Dutch sides, and garner their best players, to maintain their home advantage and re-qualify, and get more money and...etc.

But the real world says that Villa can't challenge the Oligarch and Oil teams financially, nor should they try. That Villa can (not will) develop and build a team and club based around sound footballing logic. We already have a good development system, we have a (tarnished) name, we have the chance to do it, and it's what we should do.

If we could somehow transfer to the Eredvisie I'd be more hopeful.

However, I think if anyone can get us punching above our weight, it is PL, so let's hope for the best. We may need to do a bit more to get up to the minimum qualifying weight, however. 1 decent LB and 1 BIG midfielder in January pl Mr Lerner!

Â