No F' in football

MikeMcKenna

Why is it pointless?

I have been through the "thick and thick" - i remember being at VP with just over 11000 othe fans on a shit night in 1968 believing we were doing an Accrington Stanley, witnessed the despair of being relegated to the old 3rd division and was there to enjoy the ecstacy when we won the league and the then unbelievable feeling when subsequently we lifted the European Cup!

My generation more than most know how dramatically the scales have shifted in favour of the mega rich clubs, we also never believed it was possible to rise from the ashes to great heights. I learned that you should never say never and always believe that the impossible is possible.

In February 2009 we were 3rd in the premier league after 25 games, 3 points behind the leaders Liverpool and 8 points ahead of Arsenal in the 5th. Had Lerner/Oneill rolled the dice just one more time and brought in 2/3 quality players in the January, we were in with a great chance of a CL place. If we had a Barry, Milner and Young once we could acquire similar players again - apart from them we did not have great quality but we did have a team - but we lacked depth to sustain the challenge.

Not wanting to get into the MON argument, but many believe Lambert shares many of his positive traits and will become a better manager - who is to say he couldn't scale the heights of Feb 2009 with more of the same but better?

As for the argument that our manager/players will only get poached, life has taught me that it is better to enjoy he journey that speculate about what will happen when we reach the destination :-)

Â