Windows 8

MMFy

Big drop in stock price on the windows RT and amount of unsold surface RT tablets.

Stock still up 15% since Win8 was announced. With Windows 8.1 and Haswell combined we'll see a proper growth in these convertible space.

I think the 11 inch yoga with Haswell refresh will be a winner. Microsoft has made the changes, Intel has made the changes so they can battle the ipad and ARM.

Future looks very positive for Microsoft.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me in simple terms why windows have gone tits up? I recently got a Nokia lumia with windows 8 OS and absolutely love it

Edited by Jimzk5

Because they put the OS you love on desktops and laptops, where the interface goes from being quirky and cool to being retarded beyond belief. The Windows 8 interface is truly horrible with a mouse, and as it's now pre-loaded on almost every new desktop and laptop, there's no escaping it! Even worse, their UFEI system makes dual booting with another OS, or replacing Windows entirely, so difficult it's practically impossible for the average user.

In short, **** Microsoft.

• Like 2

They have fixed the broken search at least

Don't have a win8 machine so no idea. Will have one with new ultrabook in a few months

This one

My biggest gripe with it is that it doesn't search apps, settings and files at the same time like Vista and Win7 did. A very annoying extra click/arrow

Apparently limpid's wrath is being used up by Apple this week...

Pretty much.

There's not much to say about Windows 8. It's liked so little that even Conor who told us how it would revolutionise the (his?) world doesn't own either a windows phone or windows 8 on a PC.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had the misfortune of setting up my mother in laws new laptop today which runs Windows 8 and can honestly say its ruddy awful.

As an example to print an email there is no print button, there is nothing in the right-click menu. You have to go into the top Right of the screen bring out the menu scroll down to devices and then choose the printer from devices. Not exactly user friendly is it, and that is symptomatic of the Windows 8 experience..............just awful.

Had the misfortune of setting up my mother in laws new laptop today which runs Windows 8 and can honestly say its ruddy awful.

As an example to print an email there is no print button, there is nothing in the right-click menu. You have to go into the top Right of the screen bring out the menu scroll down to devices and then choose the printer from devices. Not exactly user friendly is it, and that is symptomatic of the Windows 8 experience..............just awful.

I have a right click print option. Have you updated the apps through windows store? I think the mail-program comes from there. They might have added the option

Anyone tried Server 2012? Horrendous.

A touchscreen interface for a server OS. What could possibly be the problem.

It's an even worse fuckup than Win8. We'll be sticking to Server 2008 for quite some time, I think.

As stupid as it is, you are not often in it anyway. Set up, install your admintools, manage remotely. Or install a core edition.

But yes, it's moronic

Â