Windows 8

MMFy

But if 8.1 was a reaction to customer feedback, how could Microsoft have released it first? 

The way that the OS was publicly shit on in every single preview when it was available to the public during the beta probably should have given them an idea that things needed to change before release. As it is, no matter what they do in future service packs, Windows 8 is always going to have a Vista-like aura surrounding it. Which is fitting, because unless they drastically rethink things over the next few years, Win8 will be the Vista to Win7's XP, and they can expect to still have their business customers on Win7 in a decade's time.

Edited by Davkaus

Every other version of Windows, going back over 20 years, is crap, more or less.

3.0 - crap

3.1 - decent

95 - crap

95 osr2 - decent

98 - crap

98 second edition - decent

me - crap

xp - decent

vista - crap

7 - decent

8 - crap

8.1 - ????

"decent" is meant as faint praise, by the way.

Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 1

Every other version of Windows, going back over 20 years, is crap, more or less.

3.0 - crap

3.1 - decent

95 - crap

95 osr2 - decent

98 - crap

98 second edition - decent

me - crap

xp - decent

vista - crap

7 - decent

8 - crap

8.1 - ????

"decent" is meant as faint praise, by the way.

what about 1 and 2. Not sure i agree that 95 was crap. It was quite groundbreaking in that it was the first 32bit os.  Anybody upgraded to 8.1. Any thoughts? 

I am surprised that from what little I have seen the Apps arent as fully functional as the Android equivalent. 

My wife bought the win8 laptop because she couldnt get on with the Android tablet. She went to list some items using the ebay app but no matter what she did the photo she was uploading appeared upside down, even when it was rotated on the PC to be up side down. She then wanted to delte some items from here watched list and neither of us could find out how to do it (obviously there might be a way but if its not easy then how are people supposed to use it) In the end she got out the Android tablet and did it on there.

If in 8.1 you can default to boot to the desktop a la win 7 not the awful win 8 version then thats an improvement at least.

Not sure i agree that 95 was crap. It was quite groundbreaking in that it was the first 32bit os.  Anybody upgraded to 8.1. Any thoughts?

Windows 95 wasn't the first 32-bit OS (VMS, Unix, et al say "hi").

It wasn't even the first 32-bit OS for x86 (OS/2 and Linux say "hi").

It wasn't even the first 32-bit Windows (Windows NT (and arguably Windows 3.x with the Win32s libraries) says "hi").

It wasn't even really 32-bit (there was a whole lot of 16-bit DOS lurking under the hood).

• Like 1

Not sure i agree that 95 was crap. It was quite groundbreaking in that it was the first 32bit os.  Anybody upgraded to 8.1. Any thoughts?

Windows 95 wasn't the first 32-bit OS (VMS, Unix, et al say "hi").

It wasn't even the first 32-bit OS for x86 (OS/2 and Linux say "hi").

It wasn't even the first 32-bit Windows (Windows NT (and arguably Windows 3.x with the Win32s libraries) says "hi").

It wasn't even really 32-bit (there was a whole lot of 16-bit DOS lurking under the hood).

Fair enough i did mean the first proper 32 bit windows excluding Nt. I just think crap or decent doesn't do the os's justice.

• 5 months later...

I really hate Win 8, biggest problem I have is that no browser seems to work on every website. When I'm working on laptop at home I have to have 3 browsers (Mozilla, IE and Chrome) because each of them doesn't load up certain sites properly.

How so? Download linux onto a stick and the problem has gone away forever.

I think my main sense of grievance with MS is that being that it enjoys such a disproportionate portion of the OS market, it doesn't treat its customers as well it might.

The ending of support for XP might be a reasonable business decision, although charging for extended support would have been a lot of people's preferred option.

But, withdrawing Win 7 from OEM sales to push their new product, which no one really wanted, seems to confirm MS's reputation as something less ethical than they pretend to be.

While there is no viable alternative for most ordinary users, they are not likely to be taught to treat their customers better.

Certainly Linux is not suitable for ordinary folk, and looks unlikely ever to be.

Unfortunately, despite the serious doubts about the behaviour of MS, using Windows after the travails of Linux, feels remarkably user-friendly and reliable by comparison.

Moving over to Linux is just swapping one set of problems for a hell of a lot more.

While there is no viable alternative for most ordinary users, they are not likely to be taught to treat their customers better.

Certainly Linux is not suitable for ordinary folk, and looks unlikely ever to be.

Unfortunately, despite the serious doubts about the behaviour of MS, using Windows after the travails of Linux, feels remarkably user-friendly and reliable by comparison.

Moving over to Linux is just swapping one set of problems for a hell of a lot more.

FUD.

Â