Windows 8

MMFy

It's hard to know if Microsoft are stupid, or just pretending to be. They've brought back the Start button because it's what their users want...Well, not really. What people actually wanted is the Start Menu. The Start button they've put in still goes to the full screen app drawer thing, it just does exactly the same as pressing the Windows key. I don't think the button being missing was the point...

It's almost like they want Win7 to last as long as XP.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

It's hard to know if Microsoft are stupid, or just pretending to be. They've brought back the Start button because it's what their users want...Well, not really. What people actually wanted is the Start Menu. The Start button they've put in still goes to the full screen app drawer thing, it just does exactly the same as pressing the Windows key. I don't think the button being missing was the point...

It's almost like they want Win7 to last as long as XP.

:crylaugh:

Jesus, that's just going to be more annoying!!!

• 1 month later...

I disagree. Metro is the problem. Windows didn't need a single tacking dumbed down touch interface.

You'd think they'd have learned from Zune. How much longer will their shareholders put up with the crap decision making.

Will XBone be the next Zune / RT? They've failed to listen to customers twice in the recent past. Can they make it 3 for 3?

You might be right on metro, I don't care much for that either

I was referring to the dumb idea of having a windows system, not compatible with windows applications.

It's as dumb as introducing a DRM riddled music player just as everyone else has realised what a dumb idea it is.

Or introducing an entertainment device with an "always on" microphone just after admitting you've been involved in the biggest spying scandal the world has seen.

Windows 8.1 will fix plenty of the problems. Microsoft are going the right way with Windows. Work put in now will pay off in the future when the Mobile and Desktop OS combine. They have the cash reserves to do it.

As for share holders. I'm a share holder and their stock has gone up a fair bit since Windows 8 and phone 8 were launched.

RT is a failure. But it was a strategic bet on ARM that they had to make. Haswell has just totally killed RT for good though.

Sorry, Conor, but I remember your predictions about how Windows 8 was going to be the best thing since sliced bread and how badly you reacted to some structured criticisms of your case. I'm not playing again, we'll wait and see...

It's tough.

On the one hand, I recognise that MS are one of the biggest tech companies in the world, with some incredibly talented people, who can't have just forgot how to design an OS overnight.

Then I look at Windows 8, and think it's plausible that this photo was taken in Redmond.

dog-computer.jpg

Edited by Davkaus

Slightly related, server 2012 is just as much of a mess as windows 8. Completely inconsistent ui and change for the sake of it.

Metrao apps in Server2012 is just hilarious. Good thing one can install core edition. The admin tools and powershell is alot better than in 2008

Edited by Tegis

RT is a failure. But it was a strategic bet on ARM that they had to make.

Agree with Conor on this to a great extent. It was a bold idea, and they deserve props for trying it out. They had to do something with ARM, whether they could've come up with something different is a question which will never be answered.

And as Intel becomes more competitive with ARM on power consumption they shouldn't have to delve into ARM waters again, though I don't think Haswell is going to be quite as competitive as Intel thinks, so it won't be just yet. All that said, if they can make Winmo phones using the same chips as PCs they'll have an enormous edge over Apple with Intel for MacOS & ARM for iOS. Android can only run on ARM, though OS Chrome is only Intel, the apps are browser based so therefore agnostic. Interesting and risky times for the tech giants...

The android-x86 fork has been actively developed since early 2011. It's more than a year since Intel and Google launched an Android/Intel emulator which has lead to announcements like this, Samsung have already previewed their Intel tablets. Intel can see which way the wind is blowing for Haswell too.

After all, Android is just a Linux kernel and some libraries and Linux runs fine on Intel. Several manufacturers have announced Android devices running on Atom chipsets due this year.

If you get any tablet to fully replace a proper laptop, assuming you do more on it than watch Youtube and tweet your facebooks, you've bought the wrong product. Tablets are consumption devices and little more.

I don't really see that as a fault of the tablet, even though I'm not much a fan of the surface. It's using a screwdriver as a hammer.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Â