Windows 8

MMFy

You used Linux and went back to Windows? I suppose it takes all sorts.

Did you ever try a touch screen Linux? You can get an ubuntu installer for the Nexus 7 if you want to try it. This isn't the same thing as the full linux instance that runs as an app under android btw, this is a native OS install.

Among my quiver of computers I have three old PCs. I want to format one of them with Ubuntu but I'm struggling to do it. I have burned an ISO of Ubuntu 12.10 to CD and also copied the ISO to a flash drive but got nowhere with it. I've re-sequenced the boot order in BIOS to prioritise the correct device but it does not recognise the OS on the disc and will not boot. Has anyone got any suggestions for how I can do this? I really want to have a bash with Linux/Ubuntu but don't know how/where to start.

Among my quiver of computers I have three old PCs. I want to format one of them with Ubuntu but I'm struggling to do it. I have burned an ISO of Ubuntu 12.10 to CD and also copied the ISO to a flash drive but got nowhere with it. I've re-sequenced the boot order in BIOS to prioritise the correct device but it does not recognise the OS on the disc and will not boot. Has anyone got any suggestions for how I can do this? I really want to have a bash with Linux/Ubuntu but don't know how/where to start.

This is off topic in this thread.

Quick fix http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

As per Simon above, start a new thread if needed

• 2 weeks later...

The Windows install will have overwritten the MBR because Bill decreed that no-one is allowed any software other than his.. I rescue/live CD for ubuntu should enable you to re-create the MBR.

• 1 month later...

Didn't darrenm switch from Linux to Windows not too long ago?

Crikey missed this a long time ago!

Many long and complicated reasons. And it wasn't a full reversal, more of a relax on what I refuse to let on my computer :-)

This pretty much matches my experience.

My boss asked me to install some software on his new windows 8 laptop. Within 10minutes of using it I literally wanted to throw it out the window. Truly horrible operating system. When you have to Google how to restart the system, and how to run 'cmd' you know the OS bad. Its absolutely horrific.

This pretty much matches my experience.

My boss asked me to install some software on his new windows 8 laptop. Within 10minutes of using it I literally wanted to throw it out the window. Truly horrible operating system. When you have to Google how to restart the system, and how to run 'cmd' you know the OS bad. Its absolutely horrific.

restart the system

alt+f4? As always. But yeah, not having the logoff and shutdown at the same place in the metro-part is wierd.

how to run 'cmd'

winbutton + type cmd . That one I won't give you :) Thats been the same since Vista and as far back as win95 if you count the run-command in the startmenu.

My biggest gripe with it is that it doesent search apps, settings and files at the same time like Vista and Win7 did. A very annoying extra click/arrow

Edited by Tegis

alt+f4? As always. But yeah, not having the logoff and shutdown at the same place in the metro-part is wierd.

winbutton + type cmd . That one I won't give you :) Thats been the same since Vista and as far back as win95 if you count the run-command in the startmenu.

My biggest gripe with it is that it doesent search apps, settings and files at the same time like Vista and Win7 did. A very annoying extra click/arrow

Yeah, I've always just gone Start > Run. Had no idea about the keybaord shortcuts. Sorted it though in the end. Why lose the start menu? There's no logic behind that at all.

I have no problem taking away the startmenu if the replacement is as good. And as of now, it isn't. Just remembered the other gripe. Why hide "all apps"? You have to right click the metropart and choose it. Idiotic! Show it all the time so people know where it is, no point in hiding it.

my biggest gripe about it is that there it is so 'cluncky' to move between UI's (metro and traditional windows) and that their is no consistency between actions. To be fair its quite easy to make it run exactly like W7 with metro just as a part of the OS you can call to access apps.

Really what we have with W8 is Micro$ofts way of pushing their tablet/phone OS. As M$ really missed the boat at start of the whole smart phone/tablet revolution what better way to get everyone familiar with their idea for this type of OS by forcing it on everyone (well not everyone but as windows is the widest used OS - 80%+). They needed to catch up and get people buying this type of tech with something on it that they make money from so there is an attitude of balls to everyone else (desktop users etc) with W8. Partly because industry is still in mid-flow of migrating to W7 and they know that it wont really effect that market at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

my biggest gripe about it is that there it is so 'cluncky' to move between UI's (metro and traditional windows) and that their is no consistency between actions. To be fair its quite easy to make it run exactly like W7 with metro just as a part of the OS you can call to access apps.

Does your Windows button clunk? ;) That's all you have to press to swap between start and desktop. One key. Even alt +tab is two keys.

Anyway, I've just installed the enterprise evaluation version and it's quite nice. I can't understand why people are so passionate about it one way or the other. Some love, some hate, but it's pretty much win 7 with extra functionality with that start thingy on top.

Been using Windows 8 for a while. Apart from the "Start screen" I don't see much difference with it compared to 7.

I got it for free though (legally) so can't complain too much.

One issue I've had though is that recently when I go to "Update and shut down", the computer just sits on the "installing update 1 of 6. Do not unplug your computer" screen. Come back a couple hours later and it's still sitting on that first update. 

I'm forced into hard-shutting down by holding the power button.

Anyone else encountered this?

Been using Windows 8 for a while. Apart from the "Start screen" I don't see much difference with it compared to 7.

I got it for free though (legally) so can't complain too much.

One issue I've had though is that recently when I go to "Update and shut down", the computer just sits on the "installing update 1 of 6. Do not unplug your computer" screen. Come back a couple hours later and it's still sitting on that first update. 

I'm forced into hard-shutting down by holding the power button.

Anyone else encountered this?

I had that on Win7 once, was a dodgy download. I turned off the services "Windows update" and "Background Intelligent Transfer Service". (They lock files that needs to be removed) I then deleted the folder "SoftwareDistribution" under c:\windows. Then started the two services again and windows re-downloaded the updates and it worked.

No harm in trying that

Â