Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

I read that Leeds offered €35m for Jonathan David, but the player didn't want to go there. He is now going to Lille for €27.5m plus add-ons.

That's got to sting a little, although Lille is top team in France, playing in Europe.

1 hour ago, AXD said:

I read that Leeds offered €35m for Jonathan David, but the player didn't want to go there. He is now going to Lille for €27.5m plus add-ons.

That's got to sting a little, although Lille is top team in France, playing in Europe.

Wow, an occasions where Leeds actually did more.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

He did it because the game meant nothing and he had a bad reputation over Spygate. If Sheffield United didnt get promoted the day before then he doesn't let us score 

Correct. They had already blown automatics so not sure why the Leeds fans are still so wound up by it. Think the fact that Terry was involved probably fueled the fire. I think in hindsight I would've preferred the non goal and a defeat. We were comfortably in the play-offs by then anyway and our unbeaten run was coming to an end either with a draw or defeat. I think they would have come out of it a lot worse if they hadn't let us score. Anyway, we got the last laugh and I think that still hurts them.  I hope they do struggle next season and Bielsa implodes - I think a lot of it will depend on whether they suffer any long term injuries (always possible with Bielsa's coaching methods), if they do, with a relatively small squad then their fans are in for a rude awakening. We had long spells without Heaton, McGinn and Wesley (who was just finding a bit of form) - Were they to lose Cooper (with Berardi injured and White back at Brighton), Phillips (their star man by far) and (dare I say) Bamford for long periods then they are going to struggle big time. I think they need more reinforcements than us and we couldn't have been any closer to dropping. To be fair the manager has certainly improved the players and they all work to his system well, they played some cracking football away at Arsenal in the cup and could have been out of sight (ultimately they lost and Arsenal were poor) but can they perform consistently in the top league, bit different coming up against the likes of Aguero, Kane and Vardy as opposed to Steven Fletcher or Lee Tomlin and I think a few of their players will get found out.

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wealthy enough. But does that even matter anymore with FFP?

Well, for a newly promoted team yes, and how they are going to attack being promoted. If they were like a Norwich (which I suspect WBA will be), then that is entirely different to the owner being like ours. 

11 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Well, for a newly promoted team yes, and how they are going to attack being promoted. If they were like a Norwich (which I suspect WBA will be), then that is entirely different to the owner being like ours. 

I don’t understand what difference it makes though when you can only spend what you earn?   In terms of Leeds owner though I think he is a billionaire and also quite ambitious. But nowhere near the financial clout as our owners.

From what I’ve heard though it’s the DOF that signs the players which hasn’t gone down to well with Biesla but he gets on with it and works with what he has.

Cant stand the club, the media wankfest is irritating.

I remember one of my first few away games was in 2003 to Elland road, me and my mate first time going on our own away on the coach. Arrived at the coach park over the road, and saw the Billy Bremner statue so walked over to have a look and have a pic... as we standing there waiting for a woman to take the pic a couple of blokes walk past and start giving it absolute loads. They were going mental!! It was only for a couple of Leeds fans who stepped in and told them to calm down and we were only kids. i couldnt believe it... we were only about 14 lol! At worst i think i had a Villa badge on my jacket!!! 

40 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Cant stand the club, the media wankfest is irritating.

I remember one of my first few away games was in 2003 to Elland road, me and my mate first time going on our own away on the coach. Arrived at the coach park over the road, and saw the Billy Bremner statue so walked over to have a look and have a pic... as we standing there waiting for a woman to take the pic a couple of blokes walk past and start giving it absolute loads. They were going mental!! It was only for a couple of Leeds fans who stepped in and told them to calm down and we were only kids. i couldnt believe it... we were only about 14 lol! At worst i think i had a Villa badge on my jacket!!! 

Yep, I’ve had encounters with Leeds fans who went off on one. I was wearing a red T-shirt when out shopping in Leeds, I was up there for a wedding. On the way back to the car park one grabbed me and called me United Scum, then mentioned the Munich air disaster and how it’s a something he watches and enjoys. Mental.

• Like 1

I think they'll survive - it'll be tough and they'll be in the mix, but I think they're organised and they'll spend some and just about keep their heads above water. 

Of course they're full of bravado at the moment, I think most teams are when they come up, we were - and they're Leeds, so they release that bravado in a slightly unpleasant way, but personally I've no problem with them, it's a big club, I like them in the top division, I hope they can stick around - I think a top ten finish is a number of years and a whole lot of luck away though.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think they'll survive - it'll be tough and they'll be in the mix, but I think they're organised and they'll spend some and just about keep their heads above water. 

that's the main thing, we looked alright when we first came up, we didn't get some results that we deserved, we had some ropey VAR decisions but I would say that we were still playing decent stuff in November vs Newcastle and Utd... then the confidence just evaporated and we were awful

you can talk about the players, you can talk about bielsa being a world class manager and how he wont let it happen but confidence is a strange thing, when you've played well but still lose, especially to bad decisions, and you find yourself sat 2 points above relegation with a hard run of games on the horizon its very easy for the confidence to drain and good players to disappear

that scenario happens a lot in the PL, its often a case of who can ride the bad spells the best

their fans confidence that they will go off like the clappers and be comfortably top half / mid table before any sort of tricky period and decline is setting themselves up for a fall, they get someone like west ham away first game of the season and to a man believe they should win that game because west ham were shit last year and bielsa is a better manager than moyes...they have a £300m squad that underperformed last year, they still 10 £15m+ players in that squad, leeds have no right to win that game and the key is how the fans and players react if they don't 

• Like 4

Given how often Leeds bottle, I can see them dropping off mid-to-late season, especially with such a fitness-orientated approach and the intensity of the league, I can see them hit a wall. They hardly walked the Championship and look how Norwich did. It depends on who Leeds bring in beyond the £40m they’ve already spent. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What makes you think that?

Because he has a history of leaving clubs early in the season so could very well walk out for any number of reasons.

His teams have a habit of burning out towards the end of the season.
Leeds seem to have unrealistically high expectations.
I think they'll be in a relegation fight all season.

Any of those three things or all of them combined make it a pretty feasible guess (imo) that he'll be sacked before the season is over.

I can see Leeds struggling towards the end of the season and Leeds, rightly or wrongly, sacking him to try to stay up.

Edited by Stevo985

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because he has a history of leaving clubs early in the season so could very well walk out for any number of reasons.

His teams have a habit of burning out towards the end of the season.
Leeds seem to have unrealistically high expectations.
I think they'll be in a relegation fight all season.

Any of those three things or all of them combined make it a pretty realistic guess that he'll be sacked before the season is over.

I can see Leeds struggling towards the end of the season and Leeds, rightly or wrongly, sacking him to try to stay up.

Be interesting to see of he does walk or gets sacked. I think if he does they will be in massive trouble as i think they over achieved. Their squad is average. 

14 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Yep, I’ve had encounters with Leeds fans who went off on one. I was wearing a red T-shirt when out shopping in Leeds, I was up there for a wedding. On the way back to the car park one grabbed me and called me United Scum, then mentioned the Munich air disaster and how it’s a something he watches and enjoys. Mental.

Shocking mate, they are another team like the noses who seem to have a high majority of chavs who watch them!

I remember at the time just laughing at them, although i was concerned they were going to do something the way they were acting. Thankfully a few Leeds fans had been watching and ushered them away. Mind boggling considering we were actually taking interest in one of their legends!

49 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Shocking mate, they are another team like the noses who seem to have a high majority of chavs who watch them!

I remember at the time just laughing at them, although i was concerned they were going to do something the way they were acting. Thankfully a few Leeds fans had been watching and ushered them away. Mind boggling considering we were actually taking interest in one of their legends!

It’s weird, the behaviour is so strange. Two kids as well 🤷‍♂️

Ive had a strong dislike of Leeds since. Even to the point where I was having an affair with a Leeds fan’s girlfriend and so I used his Leeds shirt to have sex with her in. 👌

Back in 2009, the good days 😂

• Haha 1

Â