Next Gen Series 2012/2013

mikeyp102

In terms of players to the first team then SGC is probably correct.

Did we not have a youth team with Whittingham, Moores. Gardner, Gabby, Davis and Ridgewell. Id say that was probably a better team than the team Albrighton and Bannan etc. was in

In terms of players to the first team then SGC is probably correct.

Did we not have a youth team with Whittingham, Moores. Gardner, Gabby, Davis and Ridgewell. Id say that was probably a better team than the team Albrighton and Bannan etc. was in

You are possibly correct zatman, although not all of those players were in the same youth team

Looking good for the future, just hope these lot are better than Bannan, Albrighton..

there is an argument that having the young players we have now in the first team gives the next generation a better chance of making it, so it isn't about the bannans and albrightons it is about the next lot. I personally feel that it enables the ownership to abdicate responsibility for proper team strengthening investment but there ou go.

On this current run, a European tie against anderlecht would be very nice and bring back some memories

I think that it may be the case over the next few years that we don't see the youth team perform as well as they have done traditionally (including this year) and less players come through to first team level, but hopefully the few who do make it will be of higher quality. When you look at the England youth teams, Villa are not as heavily represented as they have been in the past, that said, Crowley is one of the most highly thought of players in the country.

Looking good for the future, just hope these lot are better than Bannan, Albrighton..

there is an argument that having the young players we have now in the first team gives the next generation a better chance of making it, so it isn't about the bannans and albrightons it is about the next lot. I personally feel that it enables the ownership to abdicate responsibility for proper team strengthening investment but there ou go.

On this current run, a European tie against anderlecht would be very nice and bring back some memories

I'm just saying I hope they are better than the likes we have know. 

Interesting to look at the side that won the 2002 FA Youth Cup.

1 GK Wayne Henderson 2 DF Andrew Wells 3 DF Peter Whittingham 4 MF Colin Marshall 5 DF James O'Connor 6 DF Liam Ridgewell 7 MF Steven Davis 8 MF Peter Hynes 9  FW Stefan Moore 10 MF Steven Foley-Sheridan 11 FW Luke Moore Sub DF Ryan Amoo Sub FW Michael Husbands Sub FW David Scullion Sub   Mark Atkinson

None are still with us, although one or two have established themselves as premier league players.

You can't rely on the Youth squad feeding through into the first team, however good they seem when young.

It's taken them all years of work to become competent premier league players (or nearly so in Whittingham's case) - even Cahill had a long spell of being really quite flaky in the Bolton defence where it didn't matter because all his colleagues were worse - and a manager charged with getting us into the top 4 within 3 or 4 seasons didn't really have the  luxury of letting these kids develop at their own pace.

If Lerner's remit had been to take the youth squad and build them gradually - say within 6 or 7 seasons - into a competent premier league side capable of holding a mid-table position, things might have been a lot different but that wasn't the remit as we all know. MON was trying to buy guaranteed experience and rapid success and as we all now know you can't do that on the money Lerner had available, .

So there really is not much point to this discussion.

Edited by briny_ear

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday 20th March, 7pm kick off. As far as I'm aware there's no word yet on ticket prices/deals for ST holders or anything like that.

The semi's, 3rd place play off, and final will be held at Lake Como, Italy, on 29th March (semis) and 1st April (final). The Next Gen twitter says they will be broadcast live, but whether that means on the the Next gen site, Villa site, EPSN (as the final was last year), Eurosport, or somewhere else isn't exactly clear.

Edited by hogso

Wednesday 20th March, 7pm kick off. As far as I'm aware there's no word yet on ticket prices/deals for ST holders or anything like that.

The semi's, 3rd place play off, and final will be held at Lake Como, Italy, on 29th March (semis) and 1st April (final). The Next Gen twitter says they will be broadcast live, but whether that means on the the Next gen site, Villa site, EPSN (as the final was last year), Eurosport, or somewhere else isn't exactly clear.

The next gen site has had a couple of games on, so imagine it'll be there

0,,10265~11735194,00.jpg

Villa's future stars are set for a big night of European action
against Olympiacos at Villa Park - and season ticket holders will be
able to see the NextGen Series clash for free.

The boys in claret and blue will face the Greek outfit on Wednesday
March 20 in the quarter-finals of the prestigious European U19 competition.

The likes of Samir Carruthers, Derrick Williams, Graham Burke and
Jack Grealish will all be hoping to fire Villa to glory in front of the
Villa Park faithful.

It is the second year running Villa have qualified for the last eight of the NextGen Series.

Tony McAndrew's teamhave enjoyed some stunning wins over PSV Eindhoven, Celtic, Sporting Lisbon and Ajax this term.

Now they need your support as they look to book a spot in the semi-finals.

The winners of the tie will advance to a finals weekend in Lake Como, Italy, at the end of the month.

The other teams competing in the quarter-finals are Arsenal, CSKA Moscow, Chelsea, Juventus, Tottenham and Sporting Lisbon.

Season ticket holders can claim a free ticket for the quarter-final
clash against Olympiacos, while tickets for non-season ticket holders
cost £3 for adults and £1 for juniors.

Season ticket holders will have their cards activated for this game.

General admission tickets will go on sale on Tuesday and can be
purchased online, in person from the ticket offices at Villa Village and
Birmingham New Street, or by calling Consumer Sales on 0800 612 0970.

sorce

Free for ST holders, same as last year. Hoping for a good few thousand, i will do my best to be there.

Tickets available to be claimed online from tomorrow.

• Like 1

Â