Goals Goals Goals

TheSufferingVilla

Well I'd like to see it as well because it's different.

But my guess is Ronaldo would be licking his lips at the sight of that. If he had an open shot from 20 yards in open play I'd be backing him to score a lot of the time, let alone with all day to line it up.

Yeah that one was perhaps a little close.

But you get my line of thought, I sometimes think people form a wall because that is what you do rather than actually thinking about it.

I will always remember watching Villa play Everton in the Duncan Ferguson era, he was pretty much unbeatable in the air on his day. Anyway, their tactic was that he was standing in the middle of the pitch and having the ball bashed up to him and he was flicking it on or taking it down. We spent 20 minutes getting owned by him, with 2 players trying to compete with him and then us being caught short when inevitably he won the contest.

Then the manager (think it was Little) changed things and suddenly we stopped marking him, stopped even trying to compete with him for the 1st ball and instead had bodies over to deal with the flick on or reduced his options for the pass if he took it down. The game turned almost instantly.

I just sometimes think in football there is a tendency to do the same thing over and over even if it isn't working rather than try something different, another example being when Delap's long throw was destroying teams.

Yep, I do agree with you.

I've floated the idea of a split wall before (for my sunday league team). We've never done it, but I reckon it could work. Half a wall covering either side of the goal with the keeper covering the middle. 

If they go down the middle you've got it covered. If they go either side the keeper is better positioned to deal with it.

I'm sure I remember us not putting a wall up against a David Beckham free kick at Old Trafford a few years ago and he stuck it in the top corner anyway.   It was the goal from which Dwight Yorke ran directly to the Villa fans and pointed to the Manchester United badge on his shirt. 

Not a goal, but as we are talking about walls have we just seen a moment of tactical genius from this division 2 game in Brazil?

Walls don't always jump because they leave a gap beneath which players will often drive the ball through, often resulting in a goal.  How about having a defender lie down when the wall jumps?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Fastest goal in MLS history.

All that glorious space.  Two things come to mind albeit from that one clip.  MLS still isn't very good and Tim Cahill still is.