Goals Goals Goals

TheSufferingVilla

Take a football to the local park.

Put it on the edge of the centre circle.

Try and kick it in the goal in the opposite half.

That's more than a punt. It's an excellent strike.

I do agree that it's not necessarily goal of the season though

It's a great goal, but not goal of the season.   Chipping the ball into an unguarded net does not' automatically win goal of the season no matter how far out you are, especially now it's not even that much of a novelty anymore.  When Beckham did it against Wimbledon it was mind blowing but now it seems to happen every couple of seasons.    

I'm pretty sure Beckham didn't even win it in 96/97.  Trevor Sinclair's ridiculous overhead kick won, didn't it? 

Take a football to the local park.

Put it on the edge of the centre circle.

Try and kick it in the goal in the opposite half.

That's more than a punt. It's an excellent strike.

I do agree that it's not necessarily goal of the season though

It was a really good goal, brave, and showed great vision too.

But the scenario you mentioned (hitting the ball into unguarded net from the edge of the centre circle) should be possible for most players at that level, its for that reason I think more technically great goals, or team goals should be more worthy winners.

I'm not saying that it won't win goal of the season, I'm saying I don't think it should (in my opinion of course).

Fair enough you're entitled to your opinion, and I fully respect that, but I thought it was pretty damn special, and think it'll deservedly piss it. 

It's a great goal, but not goal of the season.   Chipping the ball into an unguarded net does not' automatically win goal of the season no matter how far out you are, especially now it's not even that much of a novelty anymore.  When Beckham did it against Wimbledon it was mind blowing but now it seems to happen every couple of seasons.    

I'm pretty sure Beckham didn't even win it in 96/97.  Trevor Sinclair's ridiculous overhead kick won, didn't it? 

IIRC sinclairs was in the FA cup so i think it depends on how you judge them

i think ramseys vs galatasaray is still my favourite from this season but again with it being in the CL it wont be in the running

goals from distance always get more fuss than they probably deserve, rooney vs west ham last year for example

I'll take a £10 bet (loser paying to Acorns) that it wins goal of the season (shall we say on Match of the Day?)

im sure a Steven Gerrard goal has that wrapped up already

• 3 months later...

Mexes is a really odd footballer. Absolutely everything there physically to be a great defender but just a complete lunatic. 

Talking of great Mexes goals, this has to be the most ludicrous goal ever scored by a centre-half 

• Like 2