Media and punditry

BOF

19 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

if you take your assertion to its logical conclusion, then there is no difference between one football club and any other and therefore there is no logical reason to support one club rather than any other.

Hmmm. I don't think so. people behaving similarly in comparable circumstances in say Middlesborough, Manchester and Plymouth or wherever doesn't mean there is no logical reason to support one club or another - to be absurd about it, if (I know it's not the case, particularly these days, but bear with me..) if people were all similarly disposed to "support their local team", then that would be a good reason to support Everton, say, if you lived in Liverpool, and Villa if you lived. in... speaking of which, the Everton fans are moaning about their manager, It's been on the telly and in the papers and on that internet thingy they have. They want him sacked for being useless. Mid table mediocrity. Typical moaning scousers, eh?. Meanwhile those great sense of humour brummies have been showing their wit with funny comments about badge changes at the Villa. ha ha.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sherwood on MOTD saying we need a core of English players next year. 

Dig at the board?

even though the English players were shite

Ok Tim, all we need is a bit of PASHUN and everything will be fine.

**** rocket polisher. It's all about quality not nationality.

Edited by Mantis

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

if you take your assertion to its logical conclusion, then there is no difference between one football club and any other and therefore there is no logical reason to support one club rather than any other.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Hmmm. I don't think so. people behaving similarly in comparable circumstances in say Middlesborough, Manchester and Plymouth or wherever doesn't mean there is no logical reason to support one club or another - to be absurd about it, if (I know it's not the case, particularly these days, but bear with me..) if people were all similarly disposed to "support their local team", then that would be a good reason to support Everton, say, if you lived in Liverpool, and Villa if you lived. in... speaking of which, the Everton fans are moaning about their manager, It's been on the telly and in the papers and on that internet thingy they have. They want him sacked for being useless. Mid table mediocrity. Typical moaning scousers, eh?. Meanwhile those great sense of humour brummies have been showing their wit with funny comments about badge changes at the Villa. ha ha.  

I see that you did there. :thumb:

9 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I am probably prejudiced but I like to think that when it comes to enervating negativity Birmingham is up there with the best, and that Villa fans lead the way.

Whenever anyone does an imitation of a brummie accent they always do that world-weary lugubrious voice, full of woe and misery (think Hancock).

I am sure that Keown is speaking entirely from experience when he describes what it is like to be at Villa when things are going badly.

With over a hundred appearances for Villa and sometimes being chosen as captain, he was crucial in Villa's promotion in 87-88.

So I wouldn't doubt his word or question his personal experience.

If the fans are to claim that their vocal encouragement helps the team, (all that 12th man guff) then they have to accept that any expressions of negativity must also have an equal impact.

It doesn't take much to tip a Villa fan into despairing, gloomy, misery, but equally when you manage to a put a smile on their face, as Keown most certainly did when he helped the club bounce back, you have really achieved something.

But obviously, your average brummie thinks that being so cheerful, is the only thing which keeps him going.

And as they say in the Black Country - Yow can always tell a brummie; but y' ca' tell 'im much!

Yes I'm pretty sure Keown was speaking from personal experience rather than anything prejudice. He was actually very young when at Villa. The support has stuck with us more this year. I think when we got relegated 86-87 we were getting gates of 14-15k. Funny after he left for Everton we finished that season 2nd. Mainly down to great signings of Mcgrath, Cowans and Platt though.

Edited by PaulC

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

henry winter was tweeting about it too, i think the club is seriously gearing up to have the player awards still, he suggested the 3rd choice keeper will win it as a protest

a player of the year award ceremony and a DVD. Club be taking piss on either situation

my player of year is Ilori 

19 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I am probably prejudiced but I like to think that when it comes to enervating negativity Birmingham is up there with the best, and that Villa fans lead the way.

Whenever anyone does an imitation of a brummie accent they always do that world-weary lugubrious voice, full of woe and misery (think Hancock).

I am sure that Keown is speaking entirely from experience when he describes what it is like to be at Villa when things are going badly.

With over a hundred appearances for Villa and sometimes being chosen as captain, he was crucial in Villa's promotion in 87-88.

So I wouldn't doubt his word or question his personal experience.

If the fans are to claim that their vocal encouragement helps the team, (all that 12th man guff) then they have to accept that any expressions of negativity must also have an equal impact.

It doesn't take much to tip a Villa fan into despairing, gloomy, misery, but equally when you manage to a put a smile on their face, as Keown most certainly did when he helped the club bounce back, you have really achieved something.

But obviously, your average brummie thinks that being so cheerful, is the only thing which keeps him going.

And as they say in the Black Country - Yow can always tell a brummie; but y' ca' tell 'im much!

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes I'm pretty sure Keown was speaking from personal experience rather than anything prejudice. He was actually very young when at Villa. The support has stuck with us more this year. I think when we got relegated 86-87 we were getting gates of 14-15k. Funny after he left for Everton we finished that season 2nd. Mainly down to great signings of Mcgrath, Cowans and Platt though.

I didn't admire Keown much at the time and I was surprised that he matured into the player he became at Arsenal.

Season 88-89 was touch and go and Villa survived by the narrowest of margins, and the problem was with defending, so no doubt he got a lot of stick for that.

I am a bit sceptical about Villa's claim that 30k turn up every week and the ground definitely looks less than 3/4 full.

Whether the fashion for season tickets has much to do with loyalty rather than convenience, we can only speculate.

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I didn't admire Keown much at the time and I was surprised that he matured into the player he became at Arsenal.

Season 88-89 was touch and go and Villa survived by the narrowest of margins, and the problem was with defending, so no doubt he got a lot of stick for that.

I am a bit sceptical about Villa's claim that 30k turn up every week and the ground definitely looks less than 3/4 full.

Whether the fashion for season tickets has much to do with loyalty rather than convenience, we can only speculate.

Yes I wonder that. In reality Keown wasn't that good for us. He had pace but his positiional play was poor, he was 19 when he joined us though. We on;y got promotion by the skin of our teeth too, relying on other results on the final day.

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes I wonder that. In reality Keown wasn't that good for us. He had pace but his positiional play was poor, he was 19 when he joined us though. We on;y got promotion by the skin of our teeth too, relying on other results on the final day.

That is exactly how I saw him.

Second best to Millwall; imagine that. :)

23 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Wright and Shearer going on about how sacking Sherwood was a terrible decision. **** idiots. It's all about the old boys network.

apparently somebody in match thread claimed Martin Laursen said it a few weeks ago on Danish TV, George Boateng said the same thing on SKY last week. these arent members of the old boys network and said the same thing

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

apparently somebody in match thread claimed Martin Laursen said it a few weeks ago on Danish TV, George Boateng said the same thing on SKY last week. these arent members of the old boys network and said the same thing

I wasn't talking about Boateng and Lauresen I was talking about Wright and Shearer.

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Laursen must be an idiot then. ;)

The mistake wasn't just getting rid of Sherwood it was replacing him with Garde really. 

probably for another thread...

the reality is that we are such a shambles as a club from top to bottom that we need to go down and rebuild, seen plenty of journos claiming sherwood would have kept us up, what for? to do what? to rinse and repeat next year? i dont think we can do whats necessary if we were still in the prem, im not overly convinced we'll do it following relegation

i think a lot of them cant see past the behemoth that is the PL and all its money and how it can only be a negative thing not to be a part of that, strange how you'll see an article that starts with how villa spent so much money so badly and then ends with how we'll suffer because we arent getting all this money from the tv deal

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Any pundit saying Sherwood was keeping us up doesn't have a clue what they're talking about, and almost certainly haven't watched any of us this season (and who can blame them).

Sherwood was broken at the end. He didn't have a clue what he was doing, he'd burnt out the emotional surge he thrives on, and was a mess. No pundit on earth, having seen his performances in the run up to his sacking, and his final couple of interviews where he looked like he'd not slept for weeks and spent the night before the game in a ditch, barely coherent, and clearly done, could think that man was keeping this side up.

You can argue the squad is so poor nobody was keeping it up, and I'd say you're probably right on that front, but that doesn't excuse Sherwood of his own failings. Sherwood is a charlatan.

what I hear from the pundits view is that Sherwood wasnt doing a great job but replacing him with Garde was a terrible idea. thats what Boateng said and heard others say before

Â