Media and punditry

BOF

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-aston-villa-chief-steve-7325271

New Aston Villa chief Steve Hollis must strip club back to its foundations - and rebuild from the ground up. 

Steve Hollis. Remember the name. It belongs to the man with the most difficult job in English football. Appointed chairman last month, he is charged with rebuilding the ­crumbling institution known as Aston Villa Football Club. As has become the norm at Villa Park during the past six years, Hollis comes with little knowledge of the inner ­workings of the game. But, as the head of a well-known ­management consultancy, he carries a reputation among the business ­community for banging a few heads ­together in pursuit of the greater good. If that’s the case, his only real ­problem is where to start. Today, readers, we can save him some expensive time...............................

his fairly peremptory dismissal of remi garde is daft. The least of our present problems, and frankly smacks of mild xenophobia - "he doesn't know the championship" etc, lazy presumptions. These are **** professional people.

The more you read you more you feel like Moxley is a ventriloquist with Sherwoods fist rammed firmly up his anus, such is the shameless attempt to defend him and all that. Honestly this transfer committee lark gets far more publicity than it's worth.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Just now on MotD, "They've never been 2-0 up this season"

Errr, yes we have! I remember cause it's so rare!

Also mentioned that Gil is our top goalscorer in the league with 2.....

Seems they couldn't be bothered to research Rudy's 4 and Ayew's 5 goals.... (not that they're great records either)

I don't think there's any art (or credibility) in sports journalism nowadays. It appears all too easy now for the media to be dismissive with throwaway stats and 'twitter-fuelled' information.

I found the most cringeworthy thing recently was Sky Sports News (the bastions of professional sports journalism) using a computer game to describe stats on signings during the transfer window. How small time and embarassing was that!?!?!?

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Also mentioned that Gil is our top goalscorer in the league with 2.....

Seems they couldn't be bothered to research Rudy's 4 and Ayew's 5 goals.... (not that they're great records either)

No, to be fair to them, they said of the payers starting yesterday's game, Gil was top scorer with 2.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

because he played nearly 300 games for West Brom and Wolves :P though on commentary I think he was fair and seemed happy that we actually won

Fair? Are you shitting me? He was groaning when Norwich were missing chances.

4 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

New Aston Villa chief Steve Hollis must strip club back to its foundations - and rebuild from the ground up. 

Steve Hollis. Remember the name. It belongs to the man with the most difficult job in English football. Appointed chairman last month, he is charged with rebuilding the ­crumbling institution known as Aston Villa Football Club. As has become the norm at Villa Park during the past six years, Hollis comes with little knowledge of the inner ­workings of the game. But, as the head of a well-known ­management consultancy, he carries a reputation among the business ­community for banging a few heads ­together in pursuit of the greater good. If that’s the case, his only real ­problem is where to start. Today, readers, we can save him some expensive time...............................

I read the sentence, 'Today, readers, we can save him some expensive time', and naturally assumed that what would follow would be a list of practical suggestions. 

Having read it several times since then, I can't make out a single suggestion other than SACK THEM ALL!!!

Frankly I wish I'd saved my own expensive time. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I read the sentence, 'Today, readers, we can save him some expensive time', and naturally assumed that what would follow would be a list of practical suggestions. 

Having read it several times since then, I can't make out a single suggestion other than SACK THEM ALL!!!

Frankly I wish I'd saved my own expensive time. 

Sorry, probably shouldn't have bothered posting it...

On 2/7/2016 at 11:14, Gary Thomas said:

I stopped reading it after he said we should sack Garde. Rubbish.

Â