Media and punditry

BOF

Thought I'd give the Totally Football Show a listen since we were first on the bill for a change, but might has well not have bothered. Chief Football Hipster Jon Mackenzie thinks we're trying to play like Brighton (even though we have been playing out from the back pretty much since Emery arrived), and the other two journalists couldn't wait to mention our high line and how we'll be found out eventually. Which made me think, don't most of the top sides play look to compress the play in their opponent's half and end up with space behind them as a result? Are we just not supposed to do it because we're not part of the established elite? I swear, we could be topping the table at Christmas and the media would still all be talking about how we lost 5-1 at Newcastle on the opening day.

10 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Thought I'd give the Totally Football Show a listen since we were first on the bill for a change, but might has well not have bothered. Chief Football Hipster Jon Mackenzie thinks we're trying to play like Brighton (even though we have been playing out from the back pretty much since Emery arrived), and the other two journalists couldn't wait to mention our high line and how we'll be found out eventually. Which made me think, don't most of the top sides play look to compress the play in their opponent's half and end up with space behind them as a result? Are we just not supposed to do it because we're not part of the established elite? I swear, we could be topping the table at Christmas and the media would still all be talking about how we lost 5-1 at Newcastle on the opening day.

He works for Tifo Football so not surprised, some reason they seem to have a beef with us since Unai came in

Its gone downhill since was bought by Athletic

• Like 2

I listened to the same show and I didn't take the same thing from their discussion at all.   We've not tried to bait the press as much this year as we did last season because it just doesn't work as well anymore. One thing about Unai is that he's not a one trick pony. 

The high line thing is a valid observation, but clearly we are pretty good at playing it. One of the points in using it is that you've got to make the opposition try to think they can beat the offside trap so they put men in front of the ball when it's being contested, this gives our midfielders license to play closer to the opposition box than they otherwise would.  It's a risky strategy but just because you get dicked over a couple of times a season doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. I think one of the reasons we are starting to see big score lines in matches between good teams more often than we did in the 00s is precisely because people have realised it's better to stick to your principles than be timid and reactionary.  The same debate used to exist over zonal marking, playing it out from the back or putting defenders on the post at corners. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I listened to the same show and I didn't take the same thing from their discussion at all. We've not tried to bait the press as much this year as we did last season because it just doesn't work as well anymore.

The whole first part of the analysis was Mackenzie saying that we bait the opposition into pressing, that we play through the press and then attack quickly from the space we've created by doing so. Also he was surprised that West Ham came and played a high press when generally they sit in away from home and wait to counter.
I agree that it's not the only way that we play (and that other teams are getting wise to it) but it's definitely still a core part of how we play. Otherwise, Why does Martinez stand with his foot on the ball so much, waiting for an opponent to approach, if we're not trying to bait the press?

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

25 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I listened to the same show and I didn't take the same thing from their discussion at all.   We've not tried to bait the press as much this year as we did last season because it just doesn't work as well anymore. One thing about Unai is that he's not a one trick pony. 

The high line thing is a valid observation, but clearly we are pretty good at playing it. One of the points in using it is that you've got to make the opposition try to think they can beat the offside trap so they put men in front of the ball when it's being contested, this gives our midfielders license to play closer to the opposition box than they otherwise would.  It's a risky strategy but just because you get dicked over a couple of times a season doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. I think one of the reasons we are starting to see big score lines in matches between good teams more often than we did in the 00s is precisely because people have realised it's better to stick to your principles than be timid and reactionary.  The same debate used to exist over zonal marking, playing it out from the back or putting defenders on the post at corners. 

Liverpool were the only team I've seen that have properly outplayed it, they had the offside man stop and become inactive and then a runner from deep have the jump on our then static defence

Even the Newcastle game where you can say it didn't work there were hairline decisions that didn't fall in our favour, it wasn't like it didn't work because they cracked it or we didn't do it well, it was millimetres

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He works for Tifo Football so not surprised, some reason they seem to have a beef with us since Unai came in

Seriously! The only two videos they've done on us in 6 months have been 'are Aston Villa as good as people say?' and 'Are Aston Villa's new players making them worse'! Meanwhile there's a new vid about De Zerbi's unquestionable genius every other week...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Even the Newcastle game where you can say it didn't work there were hairline decisions that didn't fall in our favour, it wasn't like it didn't work because they cracked it or we didn't do it well, it was millimetres

Also, they exploited it mostly after Mings went off and also we went to a back three to try and push and get back in the game at 3-1. There was always going to be space in behind after that.

• Like 2

Just watched MOTD 2 and I thought the amount of time given to the game (obviously it was the only one played, but they still covered it in detail when they could have gone bigger on Charlton frex) and the tenor of the analysis was very good. Saw some complaints about it earlier but don't think you're going to get much better than that IMO. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just watched MOTD 2 and I thought the amount of time given to the game (obviously it was the only one played, but they still covered it in detail when they could have gone bigger on Charlton frex) and the tenor of the analysis was very good. Saw some complaints about it earlier but don't think you're going to get much better than that IMO. 

Yep, I thought they gave us due credit and Jermaine Jenas sounds like he's actually watched us play recently rather than just trotting out the same tired opinions (like a lot of pundits do). The interview with Watkins was pretty insightful, too.

• Like 1

Damnit MNF just did a piece on us as their first major look at the weekend. That under the radar tag is truly over.

Saying that if there's one manager who I expect to not give a shit and shrug his shoulders and embrace the spotlight and pressure, it's the Don.

just on Talksport, Durham 'there are five clubs within two points of the top of the table, what are the title odds?' 

Betting company woman, 'Man City are odds on, Liverpool and Arsenal are 9/2 and Tottenham at 14/1 

End of conversation 

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

just on Talksport, Durham 'there are five clubs within two points of the top of the table, what are the title odds?' 

Betting company woman, 'Man City are odds on, Liverpool and Arsenal are 9/2 and Tottenham at 14/1 

End of conversation 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ye1ue5nwk4i9z0ph13

Don’t bother tuning in - they’re just a bunch of sensationalist words removed.. 

• Like 2

I listened to the football podcast on BBC Sounds last night and of the presenters stated that Unai wasn't elite, he similar to David Moyes........needless to say I shall not be listening to it again if that is the level of their expertise

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Damnit MNF just did a piece on us as their first major look at the weekend. That under the radar tag is truly over.

Saying that if there's one manager who I expect to not give a shit and shrug his shoulders and embrace the spotlight and pressure, it's the Don.

Where can I watch this?

3 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Radio 5 Monday night club also did the first part all on us and Emery. 

People taking notice now. 

• Like 1

I’m quick to complain when we don’t get any recognition, so should for the sake of balance share the Emery praise too. Sky Sports analysis piece shows more respect to Unai than most:

Why top five is not the ceiling for Aston Villa

Aston Villa maintained their Champions League charge with a thumping 4-1 win over West Ham; with Luton Town next up at Villa Park as part of a favourable run of fixtures, cementing their position in the top five should not be the height of the club's ambitions

Contrast that to the headline a few articles up, “Gerrard under fire at Al Ettifaq”, and we can all feel great about Villa one year on. 

• Like 2

To give 5 Live some credit, they did 30 minutes on us last night and it was all very complimentary. Guillem Balagué, who seems to be bestest buds with every Spanish manager, talked a fair bit about how Emery has been given carte blanche to do whatever he wants with Aston Villa. Micah Richards gave a pretty good explanation of how we play in possession, too. 

Â