Ashley Westwood

Nabby

There's a reason these players why you think these players are "anonymous". The things they do you don't notice. Thats the bit I think you're missing. 

Michael Carrick - Successful in an England shirt? Yes or No?

Any player in an England shirt since 66 successful? Yes? or No?

Does this mean every player who has played since 66 isnt a good international? Yes? or No?

Ashley Westwood is a very good young footballer, often when we win he has played well & played a very pivotal role. At times his pass completion for someone so young, in his first season in the top flight and in a struggling team is nothing short of mind boggling. He puts in some great blocks & is often the start of the counter attacks we have. He rarely panics when on the ball & rarely looks rushed into passing, it seems very easy & natural to him.

His weakness in the PL is possibly his height, strength and his tackling especially evident when paired with Bannan.

He's a much better player than you give him credit for.

Moral high ground on a football forum.

I won't be able to see your posts on the forum after today so UTV!

Is there anything more pathetic than one stranger bragging to another stranger about ignoring him on an Internet forum?
A third or fourth stranger commenting on it?

;)

Edited by Rob182

I think the lad is showing very positive signs, especially his 40 yard pass to gabby for the goal against Liverpool and the initial pass to Weimann to start the move against Reading. I think he just needs a good partner in the centre to be fair in order to give him a bit of freedom, at the moment if he messes up we are screwed. We still need a solid enforcer in the middle of the park!

Moral high ground on a football forum.

I won't be able to see your posts on the forum after today so UTV!

Is there anything more pathetic than one stranger bragging to another stranger about ignoring him on an Internet forum?
A third or fourth stranger commenting on it?

;)

Hell no.

It had to be mentioned.

I think the lad is showing very positive signs, especially his 40 yard pass to gabby for the goal against Liverpool and the initial pass to Weimann to start the move against Reading. I think he just needs a good partner in the centre to be fair in order to give him a bit of freedom, at the moment if he messes up we are screwed. We still need a solid enforcer in the middle of the park!

Enforcers around the Premier League

Man Utd

Cleverley/Anderson

Chelsea's

Ramires/Lampard

Man City

Barry/Toure/Milner

Tottenham

Parker/Dembele

Aston Villa

Bannan

/joke.

Aston Villa

Sylla/Delph

Sylla and Delph are our equivalent of this player.

Discuss.

^ Sylla/Delph not good enough? Need more time to gel as a pair? Potentially? 

You don't need two enforcers. An enforcer enforces for someone, not each other!

Maybe the other could be a reforcer?

The more i see of Westwood the more he reminds me of Petrov. Comfortable, yet not really effective or dynamic enough on the ball. He does however lack Petrov's ability to regain possession from the opposition but that may come with more experience? 

Xavi doesn't tackle a lot. Westwood shouldn't have that responsibility either. He shouldn't be a "reenforcer" lol :)

The main thing he needs is good defensive positioning, like Carrick, who is great at blocking passes.

Busquets does the rough stuff in the Barcelona team.

Sylla is our Busquets. Westwood our Xavi. Bannan our Iniesta. 

Delph is not Busquets, Xavi or Iniesta but a bit of all three. Not sure where he fits into the team.

Sylla is our Busquets. Westwood our Xavi. Bannan our Iniesta.

Bannan our Iniesta.

Bannan

our Iniesta.

:suspect:  I need a lie down I think, I'm seeing things.

The only one of them comparisons that holds any water is Westwood's (ideal role more than current ability), which incidentally is when he seems to thrive, ie. when he has someone along side him with more physical presence than a squirrel's queef and has the opportunity to play both high percentage passes and, when the opportunity presents itself, incisive ones too.

Just for the record (as I assume one or two posts on the previous page are aimed at me): I have not indicated that we are down the bottom because of Ashley Westwood. He shoulders no more or less responsibility than the rest.

However, some posters were saying how 'he makes us tick' and I don't believe that a club in 18th (after a woeful season) 'tick' many times if at all. With that in mind, if Ashley Westwood does make us 'tick', then hes been doing a pretty awful job of it.

Now the key here is whether or not you think he makes us 'tick' - Which I don't of course!

But if you do believe he makes us 'tick', and are heaping praise on him, then I find that contradictory for the reasons explained above!

Because that's a nonsensical argument. Where we are at the table has no direct relation to the player's role or quality on the team.

Some say Guzan is a great shot stopper and top keeper. But we're 18th and leaking goals so he's obviously not.

See how silly that argument looks?

Edited by Kwan

What a **** buy by Lambert. Sensational today, yet again.

Agreed, showed real battling qualities today too. It's exciting how good he could be, considering this is his first season in the league. He just needs the right partner so the midfield doesn't get overrun as it has on occasions this season.