Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Only criticism I really have of him is he's poor in the tackle and has no strength. With the ball he's fine. Doesn't help when he's playing next to Bannan though, a bit of muscle next to him and he'll be alright.

100% agree.

We can't afford to have Westwood and bannan as our deep lying midfield players.

Only criticism I really have of him is he's poor in the tackle and has no strength. With the ball he's fine. Doesn't help when he's playing next to Bannan though, a bit of muscle next to him and he'll be alright.

100% agree.

We can't afford to have Westwood and bannan as our deep lying midfield players.

westwood and sylla is the money shot for us imo

if only ireland could find his form and effectiveness to sit in front of them

Yes. Yes I can suggest that.

Maybe the fact that basically everybody else is disagreeing with you is a small hint you may be a little wide of the mark with this one?

Well everybody is not disagreeing with me but lets say they are:

Does that mean I am definitely wrong? Im pretty sure there wasnt many highlighting Darren Bents limitations from day 1. Something that has been undoubtedly evident as times gone on. There also wasnt many who fancied Weimann as having much of a chance of making it in the prem 2 years ago - many said championship was his level (and it may still be yet of course). 

Of course, Im not saying Im definitely right either, but I certainly dont think I am clearly wrong on this. I can only go on what I have seen and so far I havent seen much to suggest I should be thinking 'Wow, hes good'. 

Were 17th in the league for a good reason. The team has been poor. That happens, when most or all of its parts perform poorly.

Nobody can deny the impact of Benteke, Weimann and Guzan this season. They are the only players who have been noticeable this season.

Can you give me a stand out performance from him? Or maybe 2? Any time where he has done something really good that I have missed? 

Maybe the fact that basically everybody else is disagreeing with you is a small hint you may be a little wide of the mark with this one?

Does that mean I am definitely wrong? Im pretty sure there wasnt many highlighting Darren Bents limitations from day 1. Something that has been undoubtedly evident as times gone on. There also wasnt many who fancied Weimann as having much of a chance of making it in the prem 2 years ago - many said championship was his level (and it may still be yet of course). 

Of course, Im not saying Im definitely right either, but I certainly dont think I am clearly wrong on this. I can only go on what I have seen and so far I havent seen much to suggest I should be thinking 'Wow, hes good'. 

Were 17th in the league for a good reason. The team has been poor. That happens, when most or all of its parts perform poorly.

Nobody can deny the impact of Benteke, Weimann and Guzan this season. They are the only players who have been noticeable this season.

Can you give me a stand out performance from him? Or maybe 2? Any time where he has done something really good that I have missed? 

He is an unsung hero type player for me - he does the little jobs that keeps things ticking over.

If you are the type of fan who needs goals and class saves to be impressed by a player, then move on and forget his here, because you wont get that from him.

Im a big fan, and I think he's impressed me in most games apart from a few you've mentioned.

As mentioned before my prob with him would be tackling, doesn't get stuck in enough for me.

He is an unsung hero type player for me - he does the little jobs that keeps things ticking over.

If you are the type of fan who needs goals and class saves to be impressed by a player, then move on and forget his here, because you wont get that from him.

Im a big fan, and I think he's impressed me in most games apart from a few you've mentioned.

As mentioned before my prob with him would be tackling, doesn't get stuck in enough for me.

I can see both sides tbf. I think he's been class recently.

But lets say gareth barry... he got stuck into a fair few tackles, was great at passing,versatile player and also got the odd goal from CM.

Westwood is just one of those. And like joe allen - the crab its okay to side to side pass and get a 97 % pass rate but if nothing good is coming from it then in a premier league team then you're just gonna stay as a very below average player with amazing short passes.

But he doesn't just have amazing short passes. He sprays it everywhere. 9/9 long balls against QPR.

Nonsense that all he does he pass backwards and sideways. He's extremely positive.

I dont need goals and class saves - Hard work is my big pull towards being impressed with a player. I think - 'the little things that keep things ticking' is a bit of a cop out. What the hell does that mean? You have already said that he doesnt get stuck in - So what are these little things that are so vital?

And bearing in mind we havent been 'ticking' for the majority of the season, isnt it reasonable to suggest that the player who you say 'keeps us ticking' has massively underperformed?

He doesnt keep us ticking, he is nowhere near a complete player that can keep a premier league team ticking.

For me he is another player who has struggled to find any real form this season. However, the last 2 games have seen improvement.

Edited by Woodytom

I dont need goals and class saves - Hard work is my big pull towards being impressed with a player. I think - 'the little things that keep things ticking' is a bit of a cop out. What the hell does that mean? You have already said that he doesnt get stuck in - So what are these little things that are so vital?

And bearing in mind we havent been 'ticking' for the majority of the season, isnt it reasonable to suggest that the player who you say 'keeps us ticking' has massively underperformed?

He doesnt keep us ticking, he is nowhere near a complete player that can keep a premier league team ticking.

For me he is another player who has struggled to find any real form this season. However, the last 2 games have seen improvement.

Those little things like always be available for a pass and then pass it on quickly to the next player. To get the ball moving and in our posession. To make it hard to get for the other team. And from time to time get a real class pass in to set someone free to score or do the final assist for a goal. Those little things.

One thing I do miss from him is that I think he could shoot a little more often, or at all as it seems right now. That goes for most of our players. I don't think we shoot often enough from outside the penalty area.

That is extremely harsh and I disagree entirely, he keeps us ticking for sure and he is one of the key players in our squad in our midfield imo.

Keeps possession well and this myth that all he does is pass backwards and sideways is laughable, he certainly passes forward - probably not as much but i'd take that because if he did we'd have Bannan mk II on our hands with stupid hollywood balls.

I like Westwood alot - a very good player who I can see improving as the seasons go on.

I'd go as far to say he is just as key to us as Benteke is imo.. could be a mixture of his ability and our lack of midfield options but he certainly is one of our better midfielders.

Now you can bring up the league positions etc and that is where I probably will agree with you however at the end of the day it's a team game and he isn't responsible for the league position by himself (although he has to take some blame).

• Like 1

Has someone claimed Westwood only passed backwards? I've not really followed the recent posts. Anyway, I've already posted the statistics on this.

There should be no confusion.

Source: Squawka.com.

% passing backwards:

Westwood: 35%

Bannan: 36%

El Ahmadi: 45%

Delph: 49%

Sylla: 59% (small sample size)

For comparison Xavi has passed backwards 38% time this season.

Passing backwards a lot suggests a defensive mindset, and perhaps that the player lacks confidence passing the ball forwards.

Passing forwards to attacking players is harder than passing backwards to defending ones because the margin of error is finer passing fowards: the ball is more likely to be intercepted and the attacking player is more likely to be marked.

The Westwood stat is another indicator how incredible he is actually. Bannan is very positive too. He doesn't shirk responsibility for playing the attacking ball.

• Like 1

He's developing very well and could be the next Carrick.

However im not going to get too excited by the stats against QPR and the good performance against Reading

they are both uber shit teams and in mnay games this season Westwood has been very average

he keeps it simple and keeps us ticking over which I like but it looks like he will never have the range of passing that Carrick has

but my main criticism this season has been his workrate in some games

he is so slow to close players down sometimes and there was a game a few weeks ago where he didnt track a runner when he should have done and it led to a goal

he's good on the ball but poor off it. If we find the right balance with the players next to him then great, otherwise he needs to work more on his defensive game

However im not going to get too excited by the stats against QPR and the good performance against Reading

they are both uber shit teams and in mnay games this season Westwood has been very average

he keeps it simple and keeps us ticking over which I like but it looks like he will never have the range of passing that Carrick has

he is so slow to close players down sometimes and there was a game a few weeks ago where he didnt track a runner when he should have done and it led to a goal

he's good on the ball but poor off it. If we find the right balance with the players next to him then great, otherwise he needs to work more on his defensive game

A lot to agree with in that post.

I thought his performance on the ball against QPR was superb but defensively offers little and next to bannan its quite embarrassing how weak that midfield two are. Certainly needs the right person next to him.

I think he's been better than I thought he would be this year but I also think he's been slightly overrated. Without a doubt one of Lambert's better signings.

I disagree with the bolded bit. How can you possibly say that? He sprays it all over the shop.

My favourite moment in the whole season (that wasnt a goal or win or anything) was against Stoke when Westwood caught the ball on his foot, which stoppe dit going out for a throw, then flicked it over the Stoke player.

I disagree with the bolded bit. How can you possibly say that? He sprays it all over the shop.

My favourite moment in the whole season (that wasnt a goal or win or anything) was against Stoke when Westwood caught the ball on his foot, which stoppe dit going out for a throw, then flicked it over the Stoke player.

I doubt he'll have the passing range of Carrick, his passing range isn't particularly impressive. Bannan has a bigger and wider passing range than Westwood. Westwood brings composure and keeps things ticking over for us. His tackling is good enough and on the ball he is decent. He won't be hitting any cross field passes, but he'll be keeping things simple with the occasional good through ball, and that's all we want and need him to do. 

There's a difference between hitting 50 yard no hopers and having a decent range of passing. Westwood even in the last game where he had a 97% pass completion was passing it all over the park.

This. He has a great range of passing. I honestly feel like I must be watching a different game to some people.