Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Cheers ArtSuave. Obviously assists are indisputable but the key pass definition is interesting. So the pass leading to any sort of attempt on goal, no matter how far out or ambitious it is counts I presume. That probably goes some way to explaining it then. Even my the scenario I stated above would count regardless if it is on target or not.

paceless floated Westwood corners

They were shite but he's been whipping them in lately, thankfully.

He has. I meant the ones earlier in the season.

Even if you disputed the exact manner of the key pass statistics, wouldn't the fact that he has SO much more than anyone else on the team (even if you discount his set piece ones) lend credence to the fact that he's been putting people in good positions?

And to be honest, he is probably the least guilty of all players to hoof it up to Benteke in open play

Edited by Kwan

That's not quite true though is it as Benteke only has like seven less. The fact is that if Westwood had created so many chances, he would at have more than precisely zero assists from open play so far. I'm not denying that he is the most creative outlet in the team (which isn't difficult really) but I don't believe he creates chances anywhere near the rate suggested by the stat.

That's not quite true though is it as Benteke only has like seven less. The fact is that if Westwood had created so many chances, he would at have more than precisely zero assists from open play so far. I'm not denying that he is the most creative outlet in the team (which isn't difficult really) but I don't believe he creates chances anywhere near the rate suggested by the stat.

Off the top of my head (because the games are recent) - first time pass to Delph against Chelsea which was deflected/saved onto the bar and a cross for Benteke to air shot against Man Utd which should've been a goal.

As I say, this is only because these games are in the immediate past but I'm sure there must be other such "key passes".

Edited by bobzy

There were a few he did earlier in the season for Weimann and Gabby who should've done better too. Obviously had some of our players been more clinical then he would've had a few more assists but my point is light of the statement that he has created 53 chances (33 in open play) which is extremely misleading and makes out that he creates clear-cut chances on a weekly basis.

I guess there's always a huge grey area with regards to these stats.  For example, an assist can be either of;

- A pass to a teammate who scores from this (what *I* would call an assist)

- A shot which hits the post/keeper and is tapped in by a teammate

- A cross which is handled in the area by an opposition player.  Teammate scores penalty, this is an assist.

But absolutely isn't, for example, a dummy/stepover from a cross which results in a teammate scoring.

I'd always assume a key pass is one that results in a shooting opportunity.  Whether this includes 30+ yard speculative efforts (I'd assume it does?) who knows.

I guess what we can all agree on is that Westwood has played very well and contributed much in possession over this last month :)

I think he's a tidy yet unspectacular player.  His skill set suggests he'd be better suited in a more central/attacking role than central/defensive role but would he ever get this opportunity?  He's the most consistent of our midfield though, for sure.

I don't think he's particularly suited for the attacking role. He's definitely a deep midfielder. Just really needs to shore up his defensive side of the game which he's been doing better recently

Absolutely dire just like 75% of the team.

How anybody can see anything in him is beyond me. A championship player at the very best. Slow of body, slow of mind. Technique average.

Ive been saying this for a long time. Though todays result is more than just his fault

Westwood played good today.  He was constantly playing incisive passes and was as usual let down by the likes of Weimann who can't control a ball played to his feet with nobody around him!

Meh! Can't blame him too much on the passing side but back to doing too little defensively. Didn't track any of their runners from midfield and they had far too much space on the edge of our area.

Edited by Isa

Meh! Can't blame him to much on the passing side but back to doing to little defensively. Didn't track any of their runners from midfield and they had far too much space on the edge of our area. 

Yeah but he was getting no help, especially when Bertrand went left back. They were just walking through our midfield.  He can't be expected to take on the defensive role by himself vs all of the Fulham midfield.  Sylla or Clark should of come on and been put in beside him after we went 1-1.

Meh! Can't blame him to much on the passing side but back to doing to little defensively. Didn't track any of their runners from midfield and they had far too much space on the edge of our area. 

Yeah but he was getting no help, especially when Bertrand went left back. They were just walking through our midfield.  He can't be expected to take on the defensive role by himself vs all of the Fulham midfield.  Sylla or Clark should of come on and been put in beside him after we went 1-1.

We were certainly outnumbered through the midfield that's true.