Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think it would be unjust to drop KEA, despite the logic behind it.

That said, it was he who was taken off for Sylla yesterday, not Westwood, clearly a firm favourite of Lambert's.

Lambert likes a shake up after a bad result, and I'd actually quite like to see Bacuna, Sylla and Delph in a midfield 3. Plenty of industry there.

Industry yes but we'd probably give the ball away a lot.  Bacuna has been very good but i also think we miss Lowton's creativity when he was at his best.

Worrying that a club that would consider itself one of the bigger fish in the Premier League pond has to resort to relying on a right back to bring creativity to the side.

That said, it was he who was taken off for Sylla yesterday, not Westwood, clearly a firm favourite of Lambert's.

Lambert likes a shake up after a bad result, and I'd actually quite like to see Bacuna, Sylla and Delph in a midfield 3. Plenty of industry there.

Industry yes but we'd probably give the ball away a lot.  Bacuna has been very good but i also think we miss Lowton's creativity when he was at his best.

Worrying that a club that would consider itself one of the bigger fish in the Premier League pond has to resort to relying on a right back to bring creativity to the side.

Well everyone was calling for a creative spark in the middle of the pitch during the summer and instead we got a striker who makes Kenwyne Jones look like he has bags of pace

So sort of like the way Everton rely on a left-back for creativity then

Whats wrong with playing 2 strikers?  4-4-2.  The system we play with the players we have at our disposal will neve create much flair.

We do not have the quality in the middle of the pitch to play 4-4-2

I think Delph and Syilla in the middle would be okay maybe in a 4-4-1-1.  Was a massive mistake not to get in an ACM in the summer.  

• Like 1

I think Westwood should not start against Top sides .. Maybe also even against some of the Away games .. Sylla and KEA would give more freedom for Delph , Bacuna , Luna and the Forwards to do the job up there !

Against Everton let's try :

Guzan ..

Bacuna .. Vlaar .. Clark (Baker) .. Luna ..

KEA .. Delph .. Sylla ..

Tonev .. Benteke .. Gabby ..

What I'm worried about is that Lambert leaving Weimann and Westwood while taking out Gabby and KEA ..

Let's not kid ourselves .. We're hardly going to dominate the midfield against Everton .. So let's do what we actually know how to do !

We still have other choices against  less midfield forces .. In Lowton (as a right midfielder) .. We could also try Bennett who has good crosses on him on the left .. Well I'm not saying put them together .. But they're a choices to consider .. 

We have our missing part .. Which is Helenius .. Maybe our most technique players ..

But I think Lambert need to realize that the only places that have been cemented are : Guzan .. Vlaar .. Delph .. Benteke .. I think Gabby too .. But maybe with new tactics we could make him an impact sub at home .. I think Bacuna is the one who cemented his place after those ..

The other 5-6 I think we could change them easily ! Depending in the match .. 

To me Westwood isn't the problem. He has come back from injury and hasn't been quite at his best yet. The midfield hasn't been as good since KEA has been back in the side. Drop KEA for Sylla.

You seem to be forgetting that Westwood admitted that his job is to protect the defence. Since he is incapable of doing this, he shouldn't play.

Yeah, as I said earlier I don`t see it. Not a fan off him at all, feels he is so anonymous in games and has some really terrible corners. Written him off and I stand by that. Hope he proves me wrong in the future but he is the only on in the squad I have done it with. And I am usually very positive about villa and specially Lambert. 

• Like 1

Westwood should have been sent off yesterday. Not for the first time this season, or last season, either. Studs up on the shin or knee is becoming a Westwood trademark bad tackle. 

Perhaps the referees are lenient because he's not a nasty lad but sooner or later a referee will show him red, because you can't keep making bad tackles like that. 

If those bad tackles are a facet of his game then he needs to iron it out or show going forward to offset this liability. 

Could Bacuna do Westwood's job alongside Delph?

I'd like to bring Lowton back into the side whilst keeping Bacuna's talent at set pieces.

From what I can gather it is accepted by Lambert that Lowton has lost form and it seems Westwood is in the same boat.

....for me they have never been more than wishful gambles...too lightweight for me.

Obviously Lambert doesnt agree else he would have taken Westwood off. I was beginning to think i was alone in thinking Westwood was ok Sunday and KEA was the worst of our midfielders but Matt Kendrick in his ratings says the same.

Edited by PaulC

They were both poor but at least KEA still offers something off the ball. KEA was the second highest tackler in the team yesterday.

Yes he can tackle but he offers nothing on the ball. That's the problem and why we need to look at other options.

They were both poor but at least KEA still offers something off the ball. KEA was the second highest tackler in the team yesterday.

Yes he can tackle but he offers nothing on the ball. That's the problem and why we need to look at other options.

He has the highest PSR of any of our midfielders also. Offers no less on the ball then Westwood.

He has the highest PSR of any of our midfielders also. Offers no less on the ball then Westwood.

But that's a meaningless stat. 

i dont rate kea,i dont think he has the quality we need to progress,yes he was cheap etc & worth a punt but thats it for me.

theirs many players in this league who could replace kea, it just takes the manager to do the right thing- tell the owner we need a experienced player,every team in this league has one

we all know who they are.

why oh why are we with out one?

But that's a meaningless stat.

Except when it comes to Westwood. Then all of a sudden it proves how much 'composure on the ball' he has and how he 'makes us tick'.