Joe Bennett

Si.

Sunderland's manager has a lot of strong qualities but I'm not sure "sense" is the first one that comes to mind!

ay_108295092-e1366484228115.jpg?w=650#03

Nonetheless, I do agree about Bennett. Stand him down for the rest of the season. Lowton - Vlaar - Clark - Baker is probably our best bet for the next four battles.

they targetted him early on and got great results from it. Other sides will see that now and we need to do something about it. Sunderland have Adam Johnson on that side and they'll do exactly the same thing if they've any sense.

Sides have been doing that most of the season, so it wont change whilst he starts.

From my POV sides have been more balanced in attacking us up to recently. But with Lowton now getting plaudits, Bennett has become the target. Valencia was the clearest example of that and United are the best at exploiting a weakness. I just think there's a worry now that they made such an example of Bennett that other sides will now just go 100% at him and he'll get no respite from here on in.

Unless he suddenly realises his positioning is awful, or gets a second wind as a winger he simply can't grace out team any more.

The worst left back in the Premier League and he strikes fear in our defence....that's not good for relegation battles.

Yet he's chalked up 3 times more assists than Barry Bannan supposedly one of the best crossers in the premier league

I'd like to see him given a chance in a more advanced position

Edited by AshVilla

Sunderland's manager has a lot of strong qualities but I'm not sure "sense" is the first one that comes to mind!

Nonetheless, I do agree about Bennett. Stand him down for the rest of the season. Lowton - Vlaar - Clark - Baker is probably our best bet for the next four battles.

I think he will be stood down.  Lambert wouldnt have taken him off with 10 mins to go last night and replaced him with Clarke if he was going to play him next week, wouldnt have done much for his confidence.  Well im hoping anyway.

Have only watched recording of the first half so far but Vlaar seemed to spend as much time worrying about what Bennett was doing as he did watching the United forwards. This is not good and just can't be allowed to go on.

Unless he suddenly realises his positioning is awful, or gets a second wind as a winger he simply can't grace out team any more.

The worst left back in the Premier League and he strikes fear in our defence....that's not good for relegation battles.

Yet he's chalked up 3 times more assists than Barry Bannan supposedly one of the best crossers in the premier league

I'd like to see him given a chance in a more advanced position

Haha brilliant; personally I'm don't judge people on stat but it is interesting especially as Bannan loves a killer ball...though I much prefer his simple game for 80 passes, and two or three special ones.

Lack of width has killed us this year, my lord did we need Albrighton to stay fit but that is what Weimann has been asked to do, find wide space and stretch defences.

Gabby too, but he just runs into any space to relieve pressure.

NZog can't do it, he's too selfish on the ball and plays a forward role well, Bennett might actually be that guy and he can't make too many mistakes higher up, I think you make a good point, 1 point in a tough game could be very important; perhaps his 'defensive attributes' can make us more solid in midfield.

Have only watched recording of the first half so far but Vlaar seemed to spend as much time worrying about what Bennett was doing as he did watching the United forwards. This is not good and just can't be allowed to go on.

One of the most important points made; when you trust the guy in front of you you can concentrate on your own game.

How much more support is there up front now we have Benteke; players believe they will be part of a move.

It has been like that all season, I am amazed how little it gets referred to.

I feel for Guzan in this respect, earlier this season he was always shouting/checking and taking control....you know you have defensive problems when your keeper is giving defenders advice and coming out to the edge of the box to force his guys forward.

they targetted him early on and got great results from it. Other sides will see that now and we need to do something about it. Sunderland have Adam Johnson on that side and they'll do exactly the same thing if they've any sense.

Sides have been doing that most of the season, so it wont change whilst he starts.

He is definately being targeted.... its a shame the opposing managers can see what ours clearly can't.

i have to say i cheered when he came off, he was hopeless, absolutely useless. i know its united but seriously if you cant pick a pass from 2 yards your shite. his crossing is dire, he cant tackle and is always twisted like a baby. really not impressed with him and i think lb is one of our main priorities

Edited by Demitri_C

I think we will see Baker there for the rest of the season (baring injuries)

I would prefer Baker where he is tbh. Clark is a liability next to Vlaar, so why not put him at left back?

Agree with this, shame we didn't try it earlier in the season as its a high pressure change now...not that keeping Bennett in is any good.

To be fair to Bennett he had a tough night last night coping with Valencia and Rafael. He was left exposed as well with little support. I'd stick with him. Anyway Baker has been good at centre back and he isn't a natural left back. Bennett offers more going forward and with our lack of width we need attacking fullbacks.

A defence of NB-CC-RV-ML is stronger than one of JB-NB-RV-ML plus it means teams mightn't target our left so predominantly. I think it would be an improvement and I hope it happens.

I would prefer Baker where he is tbh. Clark is a liability next to Vlaar, so why not put him at left back?

Agree with this, shame we didn't try it earlier in the season as its a high pressure change now...not that keeping Bennett in is any good.

Because Clark has played at LB too and was awful, positionally weak and far slower than Bennett. Leave the back four as is shore up the midfield that will be more beneficial. Playing against Valencia and Rafael is very tough and only one goal last night came from that side and even that could have been averted had Guzan claimed.

The lad didnt play well but he was no worse than pretty much all of them and the formation made things very hard for everyone too.

Sunderland will be a different proposition.

To be fair to Bennett he had a tough night last night coping with Valencia and Rafael. He was left exposed as well with little support. I'd stick with him. Anyway Baker has been good at centre back and he isn't a natural left back. Bennett offers more going forward and with our lack of width we need attacking fullbacks.

Exactly.

A defence of NB-CC-RV-ML is stronger than one of JB-NB-RV-ML plus it means teams mightn't target our left so predominantly. I think it would be an improvement and I hope it happens.

I think that sometimes Bennet's got too much stick from the fans, but I'd go with this too. He's not been that much better than Baker going forward and we have some good players going forward anyway, so I think it might be a good idea to tight it up a little in the last 4 games. As long as we don't get too many injuries.

I think that sometimes Bennet's got too much stick from the fans, but I'd go with this too. He's not been that much better than Baker going forward and we have some good players going forward anyway, so I think it might be a good idea to tight it up a little in the last 4 games. As long as we don't get too many injuries.

Yeah or CC on left with NB in centre, because I appreciate that Baker has looked better than Clark in the centre so if we're going to change the LB we may aswell not unduly shake up more of the defence than needs be.

Because Clark has played at LB too and was awful, positionally weak and far slower than Bennett. Leave the back four as is shore up the midfield that will be more beneficial. Playing against Valencia and Rafael is very tough and only one goal last night came from that side and even that could have been averted had Guzan claimed.

The lad didnt play well but he was no worse than pretty much all of them and the formation made things very hard for everyone too.

Sunderland will be a different proposition.

Wait to Johnson gets running at him.  Sunderland could be a different proposition alright.

Â