Speculation: Dale Stephens (Charlton Athletic)

packoman

Sky Sports understands Aston Villa have launched a bid to sign Charlton Athletic midfielder Dale Stephens.

Villa boss Paul Lambert is hoping to improve his squad before the transfer window closes, if the right opportunity becomes available, and is now thought to have made a move for Stephens.

The 24-year-old joined Charlton last summer on a three-year contract from Oldham Athletic after taking in a brief but impressive loan spell at Southampton.

Stephens played an influential role in the Addicks winning the League One title and has started all three games in the Championship since the club's promotion.

However, he could now be offered the chance to step up to the Premier League after Villa showed an interest in the former Bury youngster.

Lambert has signed midfielder Karim El Ahmadi and defenders Ron Vlaar and Matthew Lowton since taking charge at Villa Park, with a deal for Australia international Brett Holman having been set up by his predecessor Alex McLeish.

SSN

I'll be the first to admit, ive never heard of him either... but there seems to be negativity about this because he is unkown, this is why I cant stand some Villa fans, because its constantly negative. All we can do is see what he's like after about 10-15 games (and not 5 min cameos) and judge from that. Writing off someone because you haven't heard of someone is stupid. (Seemed to be silly comments in the general spec thread)

Yes it is constant negativity because our squad is clearly **** inadequate yet when it seems we're able to sign some players we opt for raiding Charlton Athletic.

:x

yet when you look at Lamberts record of signing players from the lower leagues it generally pays off, take Bradley Johnson, not the greatest player to set the world alight but played well for him at Norwich, and if not mistaken before Leeds he played for Northampton!... totally agree the squad is poor, but you just never know how good or bad the lad Stephens could be, give him a chance!

I remember in MON's first season when we bought Watford's best player, also a 22 year old he turned out to be a pretty useful tool in our survival against the drop.

Who quite a few of us had heard of and had quite a buzz around his name, hence the price tag that came with it.

Signing this kind of player to try and develop is great, but signing them and throwing them straight in the first team is just ridiculous, and isn't going to help us in the relegation battle that we'll no doubt be facing in the near future.

Holding my hands up and saying I haven't heard of him first off...

been on a couple of sites and read one or two forums in the last hour, defo isn't a defensive midfielder, most fans seem him as a player who can spot a pass. Opinion seems very divided on him as to whether he is good enough at championship level or not...some saying hes to good and some saying not good enough, some saying hes wasted deep and some saying he is neglecting playing deep and leaving holes going forward...

I wouldn't write him off but seems he will be one for debate if he arrives of the Bannan, Gardener and Ireland proportions.