Speculation: Dale Stephens (Charlton Athletic)

packoman

I've never heard of him but I'm not bothered about that.

All of Lambert's' signings have so far looked good, still easing themselves in to the Premier League to varying degrees (And yes, I personally include Lowton, yes he's probably the one having the hardest time so far but there's been flashes he'll do well) in a team under an intense pressure they didn't create (I'm not saying the pressure is unjustified). So for now, anyone he signs (I know Dale Stephens hasn't actually signed, yet) fills me with optimism.

It still isn't an experienced player, but those players are coming.

I remember in MON's first season when we bought Watford's best player, also a 22 year old he turned out to be a pretty useful tool in our survival against the drop.

Who quite a few of us had heard of and had quite a buzz around his name, hence the price tag that came with it.

Signing this kind of player to try and develop is great, but signing them and throwing them straight in the first team is just ridiculous, and isn't going to help us in the relegation battle that we'll no doubt be facing in the near future.

Right: I only want players whom people on Villa Talk have heard of.

How many people were up on Neil Taylor, Ashley Williams, Nathan Dyer, nd Angel Rangel before Swansea bought them?

While it's true we need some help to get us competitive now, Lambert clearly has a mandate to build a team for the future as well.

If thus lad is someone Lambert thinks will turn out to be a good player in a few seasons and he only costs a million or two and very little in wages then surely it is a no-brainer?

Just because you are in panic-buy mode doesn't mean you can't still make a few smart investments along the way...

Just because you are in panic-buy mode doesn't mean you can't still make a few smart investments along the way...

Yes. I get the impression Lambert looks at a vast amount of players and is always looking for players, 'always on' if you know what I mean? And thinks about different situations that would require different types of players. Similar to his formation and tactical versatility. Maybe sometimes his decision will be a wrong one but he seems to have the courage of his convictions and not too proud to admit when he has made a mistake. I know we haven't got time for too many mistakes and have had plenty in the last two seasons. But Lambert fills me with confidence I must admit.

Charlton fans rate him, but think he's not quiet ready for the Premiership. But he fits the profile- young, cheap, with upside...but are these types of signings going to start winning us games now?

I'm glad to see real links this week, but Dale Stephens? I'm starting to worry...

Never heard of him, but I'm disappointed to see that our squad issues (not being good enough) are being sorted using players from the lower leagues, who, by association, aren't good enough...

We're sadly not in a position to build, if we do, we could go down.

I hope we sign other/better players...

Who says their not good enough? Yes let's continue buying shite and overpay for proven players like Warnock and Hutton! Do you remember the signings of Jenas and Hutton, both played at International level but when playing for us they look like a pub team! I see a lot of similarities in PL to Moyes, not being afraid of purchasing players at a lower level! PL's problem isn't the players he buys the actual problem is the overpaid players we have!

Disagree about Jenas, hardly played yes, but when he did play, he looked good...in fact, if he can prove his fitness I think he'd be a good shout.

Like I said 'by association'...I'm not saying they are not good enough, just that they do not fill my with confidence as they have come from a lower league.

Totally agree about wasting money on players like Hutton, as I think we would be doing with Doyle, I just worry that we're not in a position to build a team right now

Nothing wrong with signing players from the lower leagues. If Lambert has identified him, then he's obviously done enough to catch his attention. At the end of the day he hasn't just plucked him out of thin air.

As many have alluded to, players like Ashley Young, Kyle Walker, Adam Johnson and much of Swansea were all from the Championship.