Speculation: Dale Stephens (Charlton Athletic)

packoman

No not heard anything. will let u know. chances are you will hear via the media before my mate lets me know. My mate btw is someone who plays for Charlton. Think I can say that without giving it away.

Anyone know how credible this twatter account is?

Football Agent ‏@FAagent

Dale Stephens move to Aston Villa is a 100% DONE DEAL. Medical tomorrow at the latest, probably later. Good prospect. Great news for #AVFC

Anyone know how credible this twatter account is?

Football Agent ‏@FAagent

Dale Stephens move to Aston Villa is a 100% DONE DEAL. Medical tomorrow at the latest, probably later. Good prospect. Great news for #AVFC

When it as the name agent in the title it about as credible as me telling you my tomato sauces suggest that Heskey will sign for Barcelona

Sky Sports understands Aston Villa have agreed a fee for Middlesbrough's Joe Bennett, but Charlton have rejected their offer for Dale Stephens.

Sky Sports exclusively revealed on Tuesday that Villa had launched a bid for Bennett.

The player had been in two minds about the move, but he is understood to have travelled down to the Midlands to discuss terms with the Premier League club.

Boro are believed to have agreed a deal with Villa and have now left it to the 22-year-old left-back to decide whether he wants to finalise the deal.

Sky Sports has also learnt that Villa have seen a £1.5million bid for Charlton midfield ace Dale Stephens rejected.

A host of clubs including Newcastle, Everton and Sunderland are also believed to be keeping close tabs on the 22-year-old - who has impressed at The Valley since moving from Oldham last year.

Sky Sports understands Aston Villa have agreed a fee for Middlesbrough's Joe Bennett, but Charlton have rejected their offer for Dale Stephens.

Sky Sports exclusively revealed on Tuesday that Villa had launched a bid for Bennett.

The player had been in two minds about the move, but he is understood to have travelled down to the Midlands to discuss terms with the Premier League club.

Boro are believed to have agreed a deal with Villa and have now left it to the 22-year-old left-back to decide whether he wants to finalise the deal.

Sky Sports has also learnt that Villa have seen a £1.5million bid for Charlton midfield ace Dale Stephens rejected.

A host of clubs including Newcastle, Everton and Sunderland are also believed to be keeping close tabs on the 22-year-old - who has impressed at The Valley since moving from Oldham last year.

I think Bennett will turn us down

I think Bennett will turn us down

He's already signed for us mate. :lol:

This one seems to have some legs, does anyone know what he would add that Herd, bannan and Delph don't already offer?

The simple answer would probably be, the ability to step up and perform at the top level week in week out. Well in the eyes of the manager trying to buy him anyway

I'm not sure the same could be said of any of our current 3 mentioned

I really don't think that Lambert fancies any of our players! Most were highly thought of but haven't really stepped up. Plus with the fact they've played under so many different managers with different opinions while at the club I think that Lambert is finding it hard to get philosophy through.

Disagree about Jenas, hardly played yes, but when he did play, he looked good...in fact, if he can prove his fitness I think he'd be a good shout.

When has he ever proved his fitness over the last four or five years?

We see it time and time again that players who spend a couple of years warming the bench for top clubs never come back as the same player. Sidwell, Wright Phillips etc.. The only one that has to an extent is Scott Parker, but it took him 12 months at Newcastle to get back to near his Charlton best.

I remember in MON's first season when we bought Watford's best player, also a 22 year old he turned out to be a pretty useful tool in our survival against the drop.

Who quite a few of us had heard of and had quite a buzz around his name, hence the price tag that came with it.

Signing this kind of player to try and develop is great, but signing them and throwing them straight in the first team is just ridiculous, and isn't going to help us in the relegation battle that we'll no doubt be facing in the near future.

Right: I only want players whom people on Villa Talk have heard of.

How many people were up on Neil Taylor, Ashley Williams, Nathan Dyer, nd Angel Rangel before Swansea bought them?

I am not anti these signings but I think it is very dangerous to use Swansea as an example and say that you can buy a team of Championship or lower level players and the right manager can get them performing in the PL. Swansea had a couple of seasons together in the Championship to strike up a blend/get used to each other and develop a style of play. When they arrived in the PL, as a team, they were well drilled and used to playing with each other and their style. This is very different, IMO, to buying a collection of unproven (at PL level) players from different clubs and using them to make the core of a team. The latter, again IMO, is a much bigger challenge.