Speculation: Dale Stephens (Charlton Athletic)

packoman

Charlton paid £350,000 for him last summer and only played him twice last season.

If we are buying him he'd better not cost much more than that.

He's obviously done something to attract a top flight club to sign him. so why shouldn't Charlton want more for him?

You think we should only buy premier league players then? We did that for years, and look where that got us. It's the opposite of what we should be doing.

Top six consistently.

Laursen, Barry, Carew, Mellberg, Ash, Petrov got us top 6. How many of those did we buy from the Prem.

Fair point. And the majority of them were already established players, in their prime and playing regularly for their country. Barry wasn't but spent some time in our reserves/youth which unfortunately we can't afford to do anymore and Ashley was a highly rated youngster who we paid a lot of money for and when he initially struggled we were in the position to be able to take him out of the firing line. I don't think we'd be in such a position to do that now. Or pay the £9million for him.

Yeah, well there's absolutely no doubt that we are now in a far weaker position than we were when we bought those players. A string of bad purchases and loose control of finance over the last 5 years has ensured that.

We've just got to hope that the players Lambert brings in will be better than the youngsters we've shoved into our first team recently, and I have every faith that they will. Firstly, because I don't rate our youngsters very highly, and secondly, because I trust Lambert's judgement.

Ashley Young was a premiership player when we bought him.

Dammit :oops:

He played 31 games for Charlton.

Are you suggesting Wikipedia could be wrong?!

It quite clearly says on wikipedia that he played 30 league games in total last season (2011-2012).

You do realise it can be changed at any time by anyone don't you? That is how Wikipedia works...

It quite clearly says on wikipedia that he played 30 league games in total last season (2011-2012).

You do realise it can be changed at any time by anyone don't you? That is how Wikipedia works...

And for that reason you'd think you wouldn't look to Wikipedia for factual information.

And for that reason you'd think you wouldn't look to Wikipedia for factual information.

And yet here we are.

There's not a lot of info around about this guy so I looked up his stats on wiki, it was incorrect. I will make sure I cross check my references in the future! :thumb:

Yep then perhaps you should use better sources in the future rather than questioning us signing a player (or his potential fee) who only "played 2 games last season". :thumb:

Rome wasn't built in a day.

True, Rome was built by spending enormous amounts of money.

he might eb on to something there though, maybe we can invade somewhere with some good footballers, have them as slaves and save an absolute packet on the wages!

Rome wasn't built in a day.

True, Rome was built by spending enormous amounts of money.

he might eb on to something there though, maybe we can invade somewhere with some good footballers, have them as slaves and save an absolute packet on the wages!

Yeah, but not Scotland. Didn't work for the romans and won't work for us