Speculation: Dale Stephens (Charlton Athletic)

packoman

Rome wasn't built in a day.

True, Rome was built by spending enormous amounts of money.

he might eb on to something there though, maybe we can invade somewhere with some good footballers, have them as slaves and save an absolute packet on the wages!

Yeah, but not Scotland. Didn't work for the romans and won't work for us

Probably the most off topic i've ever seen on VT!

I don't think this is the kind of signing we should be making in order to get us out of a potential predicament. I'm not against lower-league signings per se. I liked that we took Lowton for example. But they should only complement the more established signings and be brought into a side that isn't facing into a mini-crisis. If we're relying on someone with only 3 games at Championship level to come in and help lift us off the bottom of the table and clear of relegation then I'm not surprised our relegation odds have been slashed.

He might be a great signing. The trouble is he's coming in to a less than ideal situation and that in itself could hamper any impact he might have had.

Citing examples of success is one thing but it has to take into account the current situation. If we're being critical, this is a side littered with yet-to-be-proven youth players, yet-to-be-proven foreign players and lower league players. To bring another lower league player into that situation is at best less than ideal. Hence my point above about him maybe being great but his chances being hampered by coming into 'this'.

I wouldn't disagree and my post was in no way intended as a reference to yours.

Just making a point that this could and potentially be a good move

In actual fact , like most on here, I would actually prefer a few more established and proven top league quality. No doubt others may come on and cite the cases in the recent past where that did not pay off (Harewood, Sidwell, Beye, Heskey etc etc) and say that we should be signing these lower league and foreign players as they are "better value" and "more exciting". And so they are, but I would also like to see this supplemented with the other type

3 full days left. Squeaky bum time for all now I think. Not the way I expected this window to pan out I have to say. Most disappointing

on the other hand BoF, could he not be coming in to this side at the beginning of its development, as part of a team that will grow together into Lamberts philosophy free from any entrenched habits of undesired styles of play?

I do think it is still a risk of sorts but I'm not that concerned. It seems to me that at present the style of play more than the personel is the 'problem' in that it is still new to the players, once the players know how to link up effectively with the attackers we'll hopefully see dividends.

3 full days left. Squeaky bum time for all now I think. Not the way I expected this window to pan out I have to say. Most disappointing

Again, I know I'm someone who's quick to look for the positives, but I don't think it's an unreasonable hypothesis to suggest Lambert wanted to come in take a look and give the current players time in the system too. He bought some essential players early on and had others in mind, perhaps happy to wait and see if other players could be shifted first, whilst letting these players have a go in the opening games so far, now that he has seen a couple of signs of what needs to be done, he's prepared to move a bit faster.

That's just one view, and please no sarcastic responses of "omg you'd defend randy if he shat on you" type responses, that's just to my mind a fairly plausible scenario that doesnt need to invite dramatic concerns about 'backing' just yet.

Again, I know I'm someone who's quick to look for the positives, but I don't think it's an unreasonable hypothesis to suggest Lambert wanted to come in take a look and give the current players time in the system too. He bought some essential players early on and had others in mind, perhaps happy to wait and see if other players could be shifted first, whilst letting these players have a go in the opening games so far, now that he has seen a couple of signs of what needs to be done, he's prepared to move a bit faster.

That's just one view, and please no sarcastic responses of "omg you'd defend randy if he shat on you" type responses, that's just to my mind a fairly plausible scenario that doesnt need to invite dramatic concerns about 'backing' just yet.

I'd say all managers will try and sign new star players if they are allowed to. The fact that our spending has been very modest this window won't be by choice of the manager.

And that is perfectly reasonable, but he made his mind up fairly early on about some players and some positions and some he has still not strengthened, LB being one.

I'm just a bit disappointed after being positive for a couple of months.

And anyway if Randy shat in your sandwich you'd just take a bite and thank him ;-) (joke by the way)

Perhaps. We'll see though. I do think, though it's difficult to tell with someone who keeps his cards close to his chest ( a trait im grateful for ), that having willingly taken the job on, he's identified some targets and is very alive to a need to gain value for money. Perhaps he shouldn't have to have that concern, I don't know. I was actually quite happy to see him give the likes of bannan and delph games so far, but equally very disappointed by the paucity of their performance.

God knows the way it's going

I'd like

CB

LB

MF

LW

FW

Doubt we'll get all five, maybe three of them so who knows

I would have thought that this should be possible BUT only if we can get rid of the crap - Hutton, Warnock and Dunne. Obviously, we do not know what interest there is in those three ... please help us Mssrs O'Neill & Pulis.

That's just one view, and please no sarcastic responses of "omg you'd defend randy if he shat on you" type responses, that's just to my mind a fairly plausible scenario that doesnt need to invite dramatic concerns about

'backing' just yet.

I think that's more than fair a hypothesis Rodders. As we have no idea of what Lambert had been promised and his original views on who to get over this transfer window, no matter what new faces we get they will always be viewed a "panic buys" by many.

Some may view them as panic buys and some may view them as players lambert had wanted and he was just waiting for the right time.

I think its highly unlikely that a new manager would join a team that was nearly relegated, achieved its lowest points total in years and not want to bring in plenty of his own players.

As for stephens, i think bringing in potential from the lower leagues is fine but for the position we are in we really need some guaranteed quality that is going to be an improvement on what we already have. I'm not sure this lad is.

Some may view them as panic buys and some may view them as players lambert had wanted and he was just waiting for the right time.

I think its highly unlikely that a new manager would join a team that was nearly relegated, achieved its lowest points total in years and not want to bring in plenty of his own players.

As for stephens, i think bringing in potential from the lower leagues is fine but for the position we are in we really need some guaranteed quality that is going to be an improvement on what we already have. I'm not sure this lad is.

If we do bring in Stephens I would say that Lambert is sticking to his original game plan, as this wouldn't be the sort of reaction buy associated with our current position.