Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

10th is very unlikely and very undeserved.  I said at the start of the season I would settle for 15th, a good cup run and more of the overpaid shite gone, we're still on for that.  3 points on Saturday would be delightful.

unlikely but wouldnt be undeserved. league table never lies and its where you deserve to be after 38 games

Hopefully we can raise some money from Bent, Ireland Given (hopefully we can sell them all). With Dunne leaving as well that'll free up a lot of money on the wage bill.

Interesting to see when those high wage earners are gone will the cutbacks stop and if so will we then be signing more players of known quality or just continue to build a squad of lower league players with our eye on survival rather than actually building a team capable of challenging for honours?

Won't be challenging for anything significant for a few years imo. There's a big rebuilding job to be done here, and I expect us to have a few more seasons like this and last year before the club gets back to a decent level. Think this approach is the most financially sensible in the long run though, would hate to see us be the next pompey/leeds/rangers etc.

• Like 1

I do get the impression that a great many other teams might well be unable to sustain their level of spending and go through pretty much the same doldrums eventually, whilst we are already in the process of major team reconstruction. I just hope that by then we will be able to take full advantage of the situation and consolidate PL status, having come through it stronger.

Of course, that means survival this season is paramount.

Probably the Everton, or to a lesser extent, the Newcastle blueprint is in everyone's minds but at some stage we will have to increase transfer and wage spend to compete within the top eight again and with the present mind set of our chairman i do not see this happening anytime soon.

We simply cannot hope to compete or indeed cement our place in the Premiership by continuing to purchase from the lower leagues and paying the equivalent wages. It will eventually result in what we are threatened with now.

I will again use the word balance. We must have a base within the first team of five to six quality players allowing younger lower league players coming in, time to settle. You cannot hope to amalgamate purchased young inexperienced players with those already at the club and then hope to continually survive in the Premiership.

We're all waiting for the high earners to be shifted of the books so Lerner can then provide Lambert with the Promised Land of better funding in the summer.

Do we envisage four or five 6m-7m players with wages to match to complement Benteke whose wages will have to be at least doubled to entice him to stay, or, are we in for the same amount of players coming in to replace Dunne, Ireland, Bent, Hutton, N'Zogbia who will come from the lower leagues?

With the wage bill reduced it will probably be the latter and consequently i really cannot see where we are actually going at the moment. 

Edited by Morpheus

Agree with morpheus to an extent. Once the high earners aregone I dont see us splashing cash and bringing in high earners again. We will bring in more lower league or foreign players with potential to replace the likes of benteke when they are sold at a profit.

Mid table mediocrity is what awaits us if this plan succeeds and relegation if it doesnt

If we go again with that plan  i look forward to another relegation scrap next season should we stay up

What are the chances of us even finding a striker of Benteke's caliber again to singlehandedly save our season again next time round?

We possibly have the worst track record when it comes to replacing players...

Edited by AshVilla

Who found Benteke ? Was it Henke ?

Same question re Sylla ?

Oh and has Henke been replaced ?

i would assume that anyone lambert signed would have been players he was familiar with himself previously. we wouldn't have seen henke's influence until lambert had his own core in place

6 points from the next 3 please. liverpool were abysmal today by all accounts, so we might be able to turn them over, then one win out of fulham and stoke, neither of which have anything to play for, and we've got 36 and still to play sunderland, norwich and wigan

only 3 points off 11th now, incredibly