The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

_66330281_66330280.jpg

This pic seems to sum it up.

Last throw of the dice for the Reading board but they are down IMO.

As I've said before, it's really down to us versus Wigan - if we can get ahead of them we should be OK.

I would say Southampton are still most definitely in the mix .

Definitely. Maybe even Sunderland as well, but to a much lesser extent. 

So they might be in theory but the idea that Sunderland will save us by slumping is wishful and - for some, I suspect - vengeful thinking that can't be relied upon even if some would find it nice.  Basically if we get ahead of Wigan we stay up. That's my view. Of course, QPR could screw things up by suddenly getting good, in which case, a new calculation will be needed and life will be more dangerous for us and one or two other clubs.

In my case it's wishful, veangeful and logical thinking. They already have slumped, the question is will they pick up their form? It's my wish they don't and I'd love to see karma in action.

Not sure how it can "only" be good for us. A new different manager may get a short term bounce on results. If things had stayed as they were for reading then they were definitely down. Now it is an added factor that means no one knows for sure what will happen

The Reading dressing room will be rocked by this as McDermott had the respect and loyalty of the players. I think a new manager will backfire on them particularly if it's Di Canio.

New managers normally get a reaction during their first couple of games. Readings problems is their next 2 games are away at Man Utd and Arsenal, it will need to be one hell of a reaction for them to get anything from those 2.

next 3 matches:

Villa - QPR, Liverpool, Stoke

Southampton - Liverpool, Chelsea, Reading

Wigan - Newcastle, Norwich, QPR

Reading - Man Utd, Arsenal, Southampton

QPR - Villa, Fulham, Wigan

Sunderland - Norwich, Man Utd, Chelsea

I have a feeling that QPR might stay up.

Southampton might be in the relegation zone in 3 matches time.

Sunderland need to lose to Norwich to get dragged into the scrap.

only QPR have a better run in than us.

If (and it's a big if) we beat QPR this weekend, I'll be massively confident of staying up.

And whilst I'm not very confident, I'm a hell of a lot more confident than I would have been if we'd lost to Reading.

It would be a huge huge 3 points if we beat QPR. But I'd take a draw right now.

The QPR game is the one for me now.. pretty much the season decider in my book.. Win & i think we'll be ok, lose & i fear for us a draw however keeps us in there fighting & defers the same scenario to the Wigan match most likely.

I am praying we somehow find a performance & win it though in reality i fear for us as i think they'll do us.

Worth noting (someone probably already has) that that gaping gap between our goal difference and the teams around us is closing. If our defence can keep their wits about them and stop any defeats turning into hammerings, we could see that turn around.

Southampton are still way ahead on GD, but the 3 teams bnow below us are only a few goals better off.

Yeah I would take a draw from QPR as well tbh. That may be spineless but its how I'm feeling. Yeah if we win that we go into Liverpool with a lot of confidence. As we keep saying, some of the fixtures remaining for the other teams are rancid.

If we just stay up I just pray that we arent in this position next season as I've had more than enough relegation fights in the last 3 years than you very much.

Can't see at the moment what is going to change to avoid another relegation battle next season - assuming we don't succumb this season (I'm assuming we will stay up, just, BTW).

That would be four in a row.

1) Lambert being more settled into the role

2) Youngsters/foreigners with more premier league experience

3) some 'old guard' players leaving

4) Lambert bringing in some new players with the wages freed up from those players leaving

5) Our team gelling together, especially the defence

6) Benteke getting better & better (or us selling him to create a good transfer kitty)

7) Lambert having built his own team, being able to play his tactics/formation/strategy with the players understanding what needs to be done.

8) surely conceding less from set pieces (can't stay as bad?)

9) scoring more from set pieces

10) players confidence not shattered by an 8-0 defeat 

^^^Well that's a nice wish list of things that would need to happen to make things better* but there's not much sign that any of it will. I thought the defence was dreadful again on Saturday, for example. We were just fortunate that Reading had no confidence and couldn't score a couple from the many occasions they sliced through our defence with ease. Could make similar points in response to most of yours.

(*The only thing that wouldn't make things better would be selling Benteke but I guess that's the one thing that will happen.)

Briny, what are the similar points you could make in response to ender4's 'wishlist' ?

The majority of them are a product of a manager staying with a team and implementing his tactics/ building his side for more than 1 season (which we have really missed in the past few seasons).

Time equals progress, in my opinion. Of course, mistakes will still be made, we will still leak goals at times. But I do think that if Lambert is allowed to build on his team, we will see steady progress.

Also, I don't think it's a certainty that Benteke will leave. He's contracted for another 2 or 3 years.

Lambert is a stubborn bugger, and if we stay up, I can see Benteke staying for another season at least.

... Now it is an added factor that means no one knows for sure what will happen

I do, They'll go down. They are easily the worst team in the league so it doesn't matter if they hire mourinho they are down.