Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

The difference today was a Tevez clearance and a Clark blunder. Subtract those two pieces of play, and Villa win 1-0. The team showed good spirit tonight, and if they turn up with similar spirit against our relegation rivals, we should manage to stay up.

and if lowton doesnt clear off the line, toure's shot is a couple of inches to the right and goes in off the post, and guzan doesnt make 3 superb saves we lose heavily.

we keep saying if we play like we did against...we will be ok. we said it after newcastle and swansea at the start of the season, after the man u home game, after the liverpool game, after the WBA game the other week etc. and yet the results against our relegation rivals never materialise.

in the relegation zone, only 26 scored in 28 games, as many goals conceded as in the whole of last season. we are in serious trouble

I feel less confident now Delph is suspended against QPR and Reading

He's been one of our better players these past few matches big blow

I have little confidence in KEA or Holman god forbid this means Bannan gets anywhere near the starting eleven (shudder)

In spite of results not going our way we're considerably better than we were a couple of months ago I think. I look at our run in now and except for Man Utd (A) there's points for us in every fixture. If we cut out the silly mistakes and stay composed we can definitely do this.

Hope to high heaven you're right. Love the positivity and the outlook.

It all depends not on how good we are but how much worse our rivals are. That's been the case for some time. We need to win against Reading and QPR. I don't care how we do it and I don't care if we play poorly, just win.

Looking worse & worse as each game passes.

We now have 10 games (9 if you count Man U away as a certain loss) to get somewhere in the region of 14 to 16 points!

Thats around 1.5 to 1.8 points per game or basically double our average thus far this season :lol:

It would be frankly a miracle with this lot.

Naivety cost us yet again & there is no way to fix that which is what worries me.

In spite of results not going our way we're considerably better than we were a couple of months ago I think. I look at our run in now and except for Man Utd (A) there's points for us in every fixture. If we cut out the silly mistakes and stay composed we can definitely do this.

I love your positivity. Not sure we are playing better than a few months ago though. Glancing at the past ten games we have got 6 points. Wigan 9, Reading 14, QPR 10 Southampton 11.

Even if you just take the past 6 games (our slightly better results) thats still just 5 points, only Stoke are worse with 4 points.

We now have 10 games (9 if you count Man U away as a certain loss) to get somewhere in the region of 14 to 16 points!

Thats around 1.5 to 1.8 points per game or basically double our average thus far this season :lol:

It would be frankly a miracle with this lot.

Why do we necessarily need that many points?

We are currently in the relegation zone only on goal difference, so if the other teams carried on picking up points at the same rate as they have been we would only need a very slight improvement to survive (10 points in 10 games would be enough).

I'm not saying that WILL be enough, but it might be. We don't know.

Looking worse & worse as each game passes.

I don't see it taking 38 to 40 points to stay up. I think if we get to 36 that will be enough so 3 wins and 3 draws or 4 wins.

We win the next two I see us definately staying up. Take less than 2 points from the next two then I see us definately going down. Anything in between and our chances remain pretty much as they are now - 50/50.

I am still very confident we will stay up. We have just had two very tough games and for the most part held our own and haven't lost any ground on those around us. Perform as we have in recent weeks in the games against Reading, QPR, Fulham, Sunderland, Norwich, Stoke and Wigan and we'll secure enough points to stay up.

Edited by markavfc40

I don't think anyone argues the fact that we cannot afford to lose either of the next two games. 4 points is an absolute minimum if we're to give ourselves a fighting chance of staying up.

I reckon that, if we get 4-6 points in the next two games, the bottom two will be out of it. Leaving us to fight with Wigan and Southampton, whose remaining fixtures look quite difficult. In my opinion, Wigan have possibly the easiest run in. I can still see that last game being winner takes all!

I think it's going to the last game v Wigan. Winner stays up kinda deal.

lots of people are worried about that and our reaction in the game, I wouldn't worry we'll be down by then

lots of people are worried about that and our reaction in the game, I wouldn't worry we'll be down by then
Do you seriously think we'll be gone by then Rich? If so, at what stage do you think we'll be gone?

I am thinking (hoping for) that we will get 3 wins & 3 draws before the Wigan game, putting us on 36 points going into it. I do think that Wigan and Southampton will have similar points totals too by the last day. Hence my reasons for thinking this game will be winner takes all.

Edited by villarocker

Do you seriously think we'll be gone by then Rich? If so, at what stage do you think we'll be gone?

I am thinking (hoping for) that we will get 3 wins & 3 draws before the Wigan game, putting us on 36 points going into it. I do think that Wigan and Southampton will have similar points totals too by the last day. Hence my reasons for thinking this game will be winner takes all.

i think we'll lose the next two for a start

we looked good against a very good team for long periods of last nights match, and for a good while against arsenal too. zero points but just maybe the players will pick up some momentum and confidence from those performances. 

losing delph is a big blow as he was starting to look like a player, and that is something now that we don't know how we'll cope. we might see if sylla has what it takes now. we all know that the next 2 games are huge so it won't be long till we know for sure whether we enter into a fight with wigan and southampton for the last R place or whether we are doomed for sure.

you'd think 12 points would do it and our run in apart from man u is all games that we could win playing at our best. we do keep doing stupid things though that you can't really plan for so who knows!

The difference today was a Tevez clearance and a Clark blunder. Subtract those two pieces of play, and Villa win 1-0. The team showed good spirit tonight, and if they turn up with similar spirit against our relegation rivals, we should manage to stay up.

and if lowton doesnt clear off the line, toure's shot is a couple of inches to the right and goes in off the post, and guzan doesnt make 3 superb saves we lose heavily.

we keep saying if we play like we did against...we will be ok. we said it after newcastle and swansea at the start of the season, after the man u home game, after the liverpool game, after the WBA game the other week etc. and yet the results against our relegation rivals never materialise.

in the relegation zone, only 26 scored in 28 games, as many goals conceded as in the whole of last season. we are in serious trouble

Spot on.

I dont know what anyone on here expected from last nigths game?  All the negative comments after it on this board is ridicules

.  We played well for good periods of the game and only got beat by 1 goal by last years Champions.  What did people expect?  To beat them 2 or 3 nil?  We will take good confidence going into our next games as it wasn’t a walk over as many neutrals predicted.

I am predicting a draw with Reading and a loss to QPR. One point from our next two matches.

If that happens then we can throw in the towel, imo. We'll be gone.