Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Pretty much all the teams around us have some reason to be positive, new signings Newcastle  or  results- Reading Southampton Sunderland and  QPR both.

We are on a terrible run of form, it has been relegation form for a long time now, the same players that are not good enough and no new signings.

Our Manager looks like he is in total shock.

I wish there was something to be positive about.

If Newcastle turn up this weekend to play us they will score a bloody hat full as the Villa team won't be there until next Tuesday evening!

:D

Sorry, my bad, I did not take on mind the strange game on Friday. Just apply my prediction for next Tuesday :)

Asked if he was optimistic there would be any new faces before the transfer window slams shut next Thursday, Lambert replied: “No, not really.”

Questioned on whether there were actually any deals in the offing or ‘irons in the fire’, the Villa boss gave the same answer, “No, not realy.”

Inspiring Churchillian stuff there. We really are ****.

Can we start a ''Promotion '' thread yet ?

We could, but I reckon it would end up being locked about this time next year.

By then Villa will be 16th in the Championship, and the early excitement of the January transfer window will have

finally subsided into the realisation that Wesley Sneijder is still not coming, nor is Dale Stephens, and that promising young Rochdale midfielder we’ve been linked to wouldn’t want to come either, even if we could afford him.

Caretaker tea lady-manager Annie Ferguson (recently appointed following a glowing letter of recommendation from a famous relative) will state in a press conference that, considering the need to budget for the likely “constructive dismissal” payout to Paul Lambert, and the fact that the club’s cost-saving policy has already forced her to switch to a cheaper brand of tea, she thinks it is “highly unlikely” she will have any funds available for new players but is willing to “go with what she’s got”.

At that point the “Promotion” thread will be locked on the grounds of excessive bickering and general irrelevance, and posters will migrate to the “Would League One really be that bad?” thread.

Edited by NormandyVillan

We could, but I reckon it would end up being locked about this time next year.

By then Villa will be 16th in the Championship, and the early excitement of the January transfer window will have

finally subsided into the realisation that Wesley Sneijder is still not coming, nor is Dale Stephens, and that promising young Rochdale midfielder we’ve been linked to wouldn’t want to come either, even if we could afford him.

Caretaker tea lady-manager Annie Ferguson (recently appointed following a glowing letter of recommendation from a famous relative) will state in a press conference that, considering the need to budget for the likely “constructive dismissal” payout to Paul Lambert, and the fact that the club’s cost-saving policy has already forced her to switch to a cheaper brand of tea, she thinks it is “highly unlikely” she will have any funds available for new players but is willing to “go with what she’s got”.

At that point the “Promotion” thread will be locked on the grounds of excessive bickering and general irrelevance, and posters will migrate to the “Would League One really be that bad?” thread.

I'm not laughing,  it may be too accurate a post this,  that is the sad reality of things

I think this will be the season.

Sadly I think you're right.

Then next year it's going to be a worry about promotion then it we achieve that there's then the worry of survival.

It won't be boring but it certainly won't be much fun.

I'd be amazed if it isnt.  If we do survive then the manager needs a kinghthood

For adding to a mess he inherited?

Survival was the minimum i expected off Lambert.

I think we're gone. Not the most surprising opinion in the world but maybe more surprising, I think it would of been far better if it had happened last season. Even people who don't have an axe to grind about our club were saying "if there is any justice in the world, Villa will go down" and they weren't wrong, we played appalling football but scrapped by. Had we gone down it would of all been blamed on McLeish, he would of gone and we could of brought in a new manager, I doubt it would of been Lambert, more likely a current Championship manager who was doing well and would of like the move to a big club. The young players could of come through and been far less out of their depth, potentially built up their confidence and experience ready for a return to the top flight.

Instead we find ourselves in a position where everything around the club is toxic, footballing wise we look like currently look like Derby in their 07/08 season, woefully out of our depth and doomed. Any talent our young players might have is currently buried under destroyed confidence and it will take a lot to turn that around. We cannot attract players due to our awful state and terrible outlook for the future. I'm now just worried this will now cause a black cloud to hang over the club for many years to come rather than us just bouncing back any time soon.

Sadly I think you're right.

Then next year it's going to be a worry about promotion then it we achieve that there's then the worry of survival.

It won't be boring but it certainly won't be much fun.

For adding to a mess he inherited?

Survival was the minimum i expected off Lambert.

I know it was.  And for me too.

However,  sadly,  events have shown even that expectation to have been too high for us.  Events led in no small part ,  for me at least,  by the total ineptitude and inactivity of our owner this month.

However,  sadly,  events have shown even that expectation to have been too high for us.  Events led in no small part ,  for me at least,  by the total ineptitude and inactivity of our owner this month.

Rich sorry if you've already been asked this and answered it, but you were so happy about the way we seemed to be going forward.

Everything you were told before, has lerner just done a total 360 on it all??

I was so coninced he'd be given another 20mill this window.

If we go down ( and I think we will ) and if we can bounce streight back ( which I doubt ) then all the teams in the PL will be 60 million $ better off,so we will be starting a new season in the PL behind the 8 ball.

If we go down we are in BIG TROUBLE.

You said they WILL have stronger finishes because of it.

That is bollocks, you have no idea how the new signings will work. They might all fit in and be awesome they may not.

Exactly. It's almost as if VillaForever1970 is the only sensible reasonable poster on here (bar Richard)

And most likely some will do well and some will flop. The ones that are a success will help those teams pull away, the ones that don't work out will be sidelined.  

Meanwhile we plod along as before.  

But we're not are we? Performances were improving before the Bradford game(s). Some shit was starting to come together. A massive weakness is that we can't defend set-pieces and that needs sorting yesterday, but apart from that we looked to be on an upward slope. There's no reason why we can't keep improving with Vlaar potentially being partnered by Dunne at CB, N'Zogbia hitting some form etc.

Einstein's definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

We need major changes to start getting different results from this side, either changes with the manager side or changes to the playing staff. 

Except that quote has been misused over and over again. It only makes sense when you have no other factors which will influence the result. Like in a lab. In pretty much every other part of life, you can repeat the same things over again and get different results.

Inspiring Churchillian stuff there. We really are ****.

Or, as is most likely, he just wants the media circus to **** off and leave him to get on with the job of sorting this mess out.

I'd be amazed if it isnt.  If we do survive then the manager needs a kinghthood

He should do, and I think we will survive. Comfortably in fact. It would have helped massively for Lerner to release some of the summer's freed up wages and transfer fees now, but I'm confident Lambert will keep us up, even with the problems he's facing.

I have a question for folks a simple yes or no will do.

A toss up between getting relegated or even having a football club to support?

Villa will still play football next season whether its in this league or not, if god forbid its the one below we will still play games, still have goals and wins to celebrate (hopefully). Football is not just the premier league and supporting Villa is not just supporting them in the premier league.

I'm not saying relegation is acceptable but if its part of the process of wiping the slate clean then it may be a necessary evil, the apocalyptical scenarios people try and paint are all rubbish, they are based around us going down and staying down which nobody knows. Teams have to come up, three in fact no reason why Villa cannot be one if we are in that league.

People bang on about history, too good for Aston Villa etc etc then in the same breath bang on about money too. Which is it, because a club with no history could achieve anything with the right amount of money? If the plan is to make the club more self sufficient then i do admire it to a degree, it means we're not reliant on sugar daddies these clubs with no history have.

If Villa were relegated it would be truly terrible, but not the end of the world, nobody will have died our team will still play football and exist. If you choose to listen to the media and other posters on here whipping everyone up into a frenzy then its your own fault, just take a step back and think about it.

tumblr_mh6d6nDLrR1qe0eclo1_r5_500.gif

Edited by VillaForever1970

No I refuse to believe expectation to be too high for survival. The manager has completely failed if we do go down. Our squad is good enough to stay up, Lambert has made many tactical errors to put us into this position. I agree he needs backing now to stay up, but we shouldn't be in this position in the first place. That's down to Lambert.