Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

We need to support Lambert,what he needs is some cash to buy better players,the points taken from the last 30 odd games is pitiful.

Redknapp would not join us anyway,plus he would still need cash to improve the team which is simply not good enough;Fact!

I prefer to be struggling points-wise but looking very promising and putting in good performances, all the while building a very young team from scratch...than struggling and playing poorly every single game with the squad comprised of very expensive, mediocre and aging players a la QPR. If we keep playing the way we are, we will pick up more than enough points to stay up.

I prefer to be struggling points-wise but looking very promising and putting in good performances, all the while building a very young team from scratch...than struggling and playing poorly every single game with the squad comprised of very expensive, mediocre and aging players a la QPR. If we keep playing the way we are, we will pick up more than enough points to stay up.

Agreed.

Anybody who thinks Lambert could have fixed this team in one window in the summer needs their head looking. We also know that the Bony deal fell through, so how many others could be waiting to be tied up in Jan.

This was always going to be a long process, there is no quick fix. Man U / Man City back to back was always going to be difficult, and guess what?? it was.

Yes we are in the bottom three, but we win even one and we move out and a few places higher, it's that tight at the moment.

We are getting there, and will pull clear as the season goes on.

I would say out the whole lot I mentioned they would be the rank outsiders to face the drop I accept.

However when we start picking up points

What makes you think we're going to do that? We've already been through a relatively easy start to our season and not picked up the required points.

Anybody who thinks Lambert could have fixed this team in one window in the summer needs their head looking. We also know that the Bony deal fell through, so how many others could be waiting to be tied up in Jan.

This was always going to be a long process, there is no quick fix. Man U / Man City back to back was always going to be difficult, and guess what?? it was.

Yes we are in the bottom three, but we win even one and we move out and a few places higher, it's that tight at the moment.

We are getting there, and will pull clear as the season goes on.

Sunderland have two games in hand on us, and Reading one. We play Arsenal next, and Reading have Wigan. The only place we are getting is closer to the Championship with every game. We've scored 10 goals in 12 games, our defence is crap and our midfield weak. This season is even worse than last, and that's something I didn't think would be likely after McLeish.

Brilliant and agreed. :clap:

No, I don't. We were very good for the majority of the Man United game and although we lost 5-0 to City today that result was in large part due to getting **** over by the linesman twice. Who knows what the score would've been had the penalty not wrongly been given at 1-0 but we were certainly in the game up until that point.

There have been some promising signs this season but our main problem really is that there has been absolutely no continuity so naturally things will take a while to click. Patience is needed but unfortunately many just don't have it. Perhaps this tag we have in the media for being self-hating, impatient and fickle moaners is right.

All in all we did spend on the right players in the summer, but it's going to take more than a couple of months to sort out such a huge mess.

And yet most of our best players in what has been a poor season so far have come from outside the Premier League. Vlaar has looked the best of a bad bunch at the back despite having no experience at all in England let alone the Premier League.

You seem to pin our problems on a lack of Premier League experience but that's just simply not true. It's the lack of quality that is the problem, mainly in midfield. I seem to recall us having lots of Premier League experience last season and it didn't seem to work out too well.

You go on about him as if he's some managerial genius. Anyway, the mere idea of sacking Lambert at such an early stage is ridiculous and furthermore isn't going to happen so there's no reaosn to bring up St Harry.

Lucky with injuries? You're **** kidding me. Part of the reason why we were even in a relegation battle that season was because of a horrendous injury crisis.

I don't think 10/11 should be grouped with last season and this season if I'm honest. We finished 9th that season and as people like to say, "the table doesn't lie".

Yes for us at the moment we played well against Man U, but Man U were also very poor in the first half and you'll have to excuse me but didn't we lose the game?

The City game yesterday. We weren't '**** over by the linesman twice.' He made one bad decision but City still scored another four. What was it that Kompany said last night on MOTD? 'It was our most comfortable win this season!' I can actually see where he's coming from after playing in a team that won by five.

Back to 'things will take a while to click.' Ok how long then? How long does it actually take for things to click. The last time you said that, we were fourth from bottom, now we're third from bottom. That is some progression and I'm absolutely thrilled for you.

So your logic is now that Lambert has purchased the right players. If that is indeed so, where would we be in the table if he hadn't and isn't Vlaar part of a defence that has shipped 8 in our last two and yet i still find myself agreeing with you, Vlaar 'is the best of a bad bunch.'

You also keep banging on about the experience v quality debate. You say that we need quality yet also state Lambert has already purchased the right players. So which is it. I mean i'm more than a little confused here since a team with the right quality players rarely find themselves third from bottom.

My reasons for mentioning Redknapp are already well documented but again as stated in a previous debate, i have never classified him as a managerial genius but maybe in your opinion Lambert is exactly that for presiding over our worst start ever in the Premiership and currently having us in a worst position than McLeish? But then again he has purchased the right players!

I also see you are now classifying yourself as VT's new clairvoyant by stating that Lambert won't be sacked. I'll remember that prediction.

Finally my point concerning finishing 9th stands and it was widely accepted on here that we did indeed get lucky with our run in due to playing other teams with injuries. You say we had an injury crisis to explain our flirtation at that time, yet what has happened since?

The difference between this season and last is we are trying to win games last season we were more defensive so got more draw's

I am worried by the defence ..maybe it's the injuries and chopping and changing but we are conceding too many and alot of the goals are down to poor defending

more than great play by the opposition.Also yet again we seem to be the worst side in the league at keeping the ball both points need addressing or we will go down.

QPR will sack Hughes and improve we need to pull away to safety quickly.

I dont see what difference giving Lambert more money will make. He had money in the summer and bought in 8 players with no prem experience. He bought pretty much a whole new defence and midfield which doesnt look good enough. Which of those players do we now expect him to replace? He has one of the premier leagues most consistent goal scorers but doesnt want to play him, he had the option of going back in for Clint Dempsey on deadline day but chose not to. The only options I see are to support his team and methods or not. I dont think money in January will suddenly mean a raft of experience premier league players.

Worried now :ph34r:

Problem is if Lambert doesn't turn it around where the **** do we go from here ..another manager again.

We had problems with the squad no doubt but dear god how are WBA and Norwich doing so much better than us I don't recall them spending alot in the window..

I prefer to be struggling points-wise but looking very promising and putting in good performances

"looking very promising" ??

"putting in good performances" ??

Over 12 games lets analyse -

Really Crap performances - west ham, everton, Southampton, spurs, fulham, Norwich, Man City (7 games)

Average - Newcastle, Man Utd , WBA (3 games)

Good - Swansea Sunderland (2 games)

Overall that's fairly shite so it boils my piss when people perpetuate this myth that we are on the cusp of something magical.

We've put in far more bad performances than good though. And any manager in the league would be more positive than McLeish, so that doesn't really excuse Lambert this piss poor start.

WBA and Norwich chose good managers and unfortunately we chose otherwise.

In hindsight maybe but at time neither of those 2 would have screamed out over Lambert.Head to head neither has beat us either.

For me the huge issue right now is the defence..4-3-3 with the players we have might score ..but it will concede is simply not enough protection for the defence.

I dont see what difference giving Lambert more money will make. He had money in the summer and bought in 8 players with no prem experience. He bought pretty much a whole new defence and midfield which doesnt look good enough. Which of those players do we now expect him to replace? He has one of the premier leagues most consistent goal scorers but doesnt want to play him, he had the option of going back in for Clint Dempsey on deadline day but chose not to. The only options I see are to support his team and methods or not. I dont think money in January will suddenly mean a raft of experience premier league players.

What a load of nonsense man.

The difference in Lambert 'using up' the rest of the pot he has left over from the summer will allow him to sign a few more names come January to add the quality we need.

Brought a whole new defence? I am sure Lichaj, Dunne, Clarke, Hutton, Warnock, Bowry, Stevens were already here when he arrived?

As for midfield, Holman was signed by the last numpty and only KEA and Westwood have been added there so I can't see any being replaced but more in the line of added to.

I see Clint Dempsey is setting the world on fire at the minute at his new club! Damn that was a big mistake to miss out on such a prolific premier league journeyman!.. who next? Berbatov?

I agree with you though that I also don't think money spent in January will suddenly see a raft of premier league experienced players either. - All it would bring is silly transfer fee's and high wages. Best looking at the leagues a bit lower or the rest of the world. It's better value for money and costs half what a Premier League player would cost in fee's and wages combined.