Rino8

What's a nip?

I believe it's a racial slur from WW2 about people from Nippon (i.e. the Japanese).

So they mention that and not Jap or more importantly negro.

I don't think "Jap" is offensive tbh.

It's interesting to get the perspective of someone like yourself who lives closer to Japan than we do.  I would also be of the opinion that this particular word isn't inherently racist/offensive.  Of course it can be used in a derogatory context, but then so can a lot of words.

I've always found "knob-jockey" to be a fine insult.

agreed, comes in the same category as calling someone a dickhead to me

It is another way of calling someone gay as an insult, suggesting there is something bad about being gay.

I've always found "knob-jockey" to be a fine insult.

agreed, comes in the same category as calling someone a dickhead to me

It is another way of calling someone gay as an insult, suggesting there is something bad about being gay.

Let's not forget though that originally the word "gay" was used to describe someone happy, not homosexual. Words evolve over time.

Let's not forget though that originally the word "gay" was used to describe someone happy, not homosexual. Words evolve over time.

Yes but we are all talking about the current meanings of course.

Edited by LondonLax

I don't think "Jap" is offensive tbh.

It's interesting to get the perspective of someone like yourself who lives closer to Japan than we do.  I would also be of the opinion that this particular word isn't inherently racist/offensive.  Of course it can be used in a derogatory context, but then so can a lot of words.

I always find that in the west there's something a bit more taboo about the far east than other countries.

Like, doing a chinese accent is generally seen as pretty offensive. Which is weird. If I did an Irish accent or a Russian accent, no-one would bat an eyelid.

But if I do a chinese accent it's a bit more in bad taste. For no real reason.

I always find that in the west there's something a bit more taboo about the far east than other countries.

Like, doing a chinese accent is generally seen as pretty offensive. Which is weird. If I did an Irish accent or a Russian accent, no-one would bat an eyelid.

Not just the far east. It's the same if you were to do a Nigerian accent, for example.

Not just the far east. It's the same if you were to do a Nigerian accent, for example.

Yeah, good point. Weird really.

Taking this from elsewhere so I don't have a link, but I think this latest thing is going to run and run.

"Liverpool's kit supplier, Warrior Sports, has fallen foul of the club's new guidelines on unacceptable language by telling customers to "man up" on its website.

"Man up" is one of several phrases the Anfield club deems unacceptable on a list issued to members of staff as part of a wider education programme aimed at combating discrimination. Others in the section on gender include "queen", "princess", "play like a girl" and "don't be a woman".

The club's official sportswear supplier, however, requests that people "Man Up, Sign Up" to receive its product updates by email.

Eagle-eyed readers have also highlighted that the Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers told the Anfield Wrap about his players: "If you get little niggles or little injuries, you've got to man up," when his squad was stretched before the January transfer window."

• Like 1

Making the list was a stupid thing. By all means put out a guideline. You'd assume they have one in place already. But a list is just something that will continually come back and bite you on the ass.

Â