Cool stuff for a baby boy

TrentVilla

My mates just had a baby boy so I'm looking for cool stuff to buy for him for the kid or for the nursery.

No real budget in mind, I thought I'd see what the dad's and creative minds of VT could come up with.

And no Rob I'm not buying him his first Jazz Mag.

(serious suggestions really would be welcomed)

The thing is Trent, in that first year, its the parents that need the help, not the baby. Get something to help them, the baby will in all likelihood get everything in needs and more. Any clothes you buy for it will be outgrown in weeks and the kid will never remember it, exactly the same goes for toys (of which it will get plenty of). Buying cool stuff for a friends kid comes a couple of years down the line.

I give you the Vitamix Professional Series 500. Not for the kid directly, but it is the thing we wish we knew about when our boy was a baby. You need never buy baby food ever again as everything you make can be turned into baby food in seconds. We still use it pretty much every day and is the best loved item in the kitchen (even when the wife is in there). It's a bit pricy, but brilliant.

As a father of a baby boy (he turned one last week if you were wondering) I'd strongly agree with the people who say getting something useful/practical is far more helpful than getting a "cool" present. I would presume that the parents already have a baby monitor, but you can never have enough clothes. Newborns grow at a ridiculous speed though and he will more than double in size within six months so it might be worth getting some stuff that will be useful in the 6-9 or 9-12 month ranges.

If you want something they can use as a keepsake of him being a new born then how about paying for some professional photography? If you dont want to spend that much then the little kits which save hand and footprints are neat. You can get some unusual and cool stuff at Threadless if you want to go down the clothes route. What is your budget?

btw, the BT baby monitors are the shit. A cheapo one will do the monitoring, but the BT one we have has some ridiculously good bells and whistles on it, the thermometer is handy as ****, the light shows (it glows in the dark and projects a colourful star map onto the ceiling) are great and the music/sound effects it can play really do work in calming baby down. You can talk to the monitor from the receiver too and hearing mum/dad's voice can be enough to calm a baby while you make your way to its room. I'm not really sure of the value of a video monitor, they seem like a gimmick to me. You will know if the baby is awake because it will be making a noise, if it's asleep then it wont be moving much so you might as well stare at a photo.

this is the one we use. It's awesome.

ah that reminds me, sounds **** stupid but buy them one of those In Ear Thermometers

Babys get sick, its a fact of life

Parents get paranoid about baby's having a temperature

Taking ababy's temperature is a bloody pain in the butt

We bought one when our daughter was about 6 months old, it would have made our lives so much easier in those first 6 months too. The baby doesn't get antagonised at all and the reading is almost instant

It also lasted for about ten years before we bought a new one. (we bought another when it broke)

It's not cool in the slightest but it made our lives so much easier

Its something they may not have thought about yet too. They might pull a funny face now but in ten years time they'll realise what an inspired thing it is

My boy is 2 tomorrow, one thing that we bought that was a superb on those long tiring nights was a projector light show.

Get a remote controlled one so when baby starts stirring they can sneak the door open and stick the show on. 9 times out of 10 the little one will go back off to sleep.

Pretty cheap as you have loads of choice for <£20.

51Xeg7CocbL._AA300_.jpg

Â