Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

He's had a few decent performances, on the whole he's done little to impact our defence being better.

In his first season our defensive performances with him in the team were markedly better than without him. Statistically and otherwise.

He was also a rock in his second season. What's up with the short-term memories? He's still our best defender when fit. I can understand wanting him to leave because of his injuries etc, but not for footballing reasons using revisionism no less.

Agreed. Fit and he's our best centreback. I think he's even proved that this season (bar the Stoke disaster). Start of the season he was very good alongside Senderos.

But he's not worth keeping because he is injured way too much.

Maybe it's not a case of short-term memories but just differing opinions. I personally think he's nothing special at all and obviously has a bad injury record, as you've mentioned, I wouldn't be sad to see him go.

Edited by penguin

Agreed. Fit and he's our best centreback. I think he's even proved that this season (bar the Stoke disaster). Start of the season he was very good alongside Senderos.

He only played 3 games next to Senderos.  Not long enough to form any sort of lasting view.  Personally I've been amazed by just how much Clark has improved.  He and Okore look the real deal right about now, and Clark's thunderous tackle in the Leicester game was the sort of thing you will never get from Vlaar because he's too worried about knackering himself.  Clark and Okore all the way for me now.

He only played 3 games next to Senderos.  Not long enough to form any sort of lasting view.  Personally I've been amazed by just how much Clark has improved.  He and Okore look the real deal right about now, and Clark's thunderous tackle in the Leicester game was the sort of thing you will never get from Vlaar because he's too worried about knackering himself.  Clark and Okore all the way for me now.

Well it's only 3 games with Senderos, but his good performances extend a lot further back than those 3 games.

But I don't disagree with any of the rest of your post. As good as I think he's been, he shouldn't be kept on. OKore and Clark going forward is fine with me.

Where is Vlaar anyway, he was supposed to be almost ready to come back a couple of games ago.

I doubt we will see much more of Ron unless there are injuries or suspensions

I'd rather invest playing time in Okore who isn't a million miles away from Vlaar anyway.

I keep flicking back and forth on this. 

Originally I said play Okore, forget Vlaar because he's off anyway.

Then we got in deep shit, Vlaar looked good when he came back in and I thought shit, we need to play him while we can because we are shit and he is not.

But now that we've shown we can actually win games again, I'm settling back on Okore. Forget Vlaar. Okore is the future.

• Like 1

I've been one of Ron's biggest supporters since he's been here, but I think he should go quietly at the end of the season, and until then he should be fifth choice behind Senderos and Baker. His heart's not in it anymore. He's been injured pretty much all season, and aside from that first month (when the transfer window was still open, tellingly), he really hasn't played all that well in the rare appearances he has made. I'm disappointed it's ended like this but I don't see any reason to persist with him.

Need him fit asap because no way Clark wont pick up his 10th yellow in the next few games and be banned for 2.

So pleased Clark has stepped up in a major way this term, who knows where we'd be if this didnt happen. Never seen such a drastic and positive change in a player for so long

He's always had the tools and shown them. I never understood the hot and cold attitude that Lambert and our fanbase had.

Need him fit asap because no way Clark wont pick up his 10th yellow in the next few games and be banned for 2.

So pleased Clark has stepped up in a major way this term, who knows where we'd be if this didnt happen. Never seen such a drastic and positive change in a player for so long

He's always had the tools and shown them. I never understood the hot and cold attitude that Lambert and our fanbase had.

The attitude was based on the fact he was shit. Nobody ever doubted his talent, but he gave away constant needless free kicks and penalties for either wrestling or hacking players down (too keen to impress?) was a panicker on the ball and also spent most of his time in no mans land rather than marking a man. But even though I was one of his harshest critics I'm glad to be proven wrong, as he's became quite the complete defender and seems to consistently put in a captains performance. Maybe he just needed to mature a little as a player and relax himself.

Edited by 7392craig

The attitude was based on the fact he was shit. Nobody ever doubted his talent, but he gave away constant needless free kicks and penalties for either wrestling or hacking players down (too keen to impress?) was a panicker on the ball and also spent most of his time in no mans land rather than marking a man. But even though I was one of his harshest critics I'm glad to be proven wrong, as he's became quite the complete defender and seems to consistently put in a captains performance. Maybe he just needed to mature a little as a player and relax himself.

He's got everything to be a great defender, apart from a bit more pace and an inch or 2 in height.

Â