Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

If Man Utd wanted Vlaar he'd already be gone. I wouldn't imagine it would be a complex deal to negotiate as they can obviously afford him and Ron wouldn't hesitate in wanting to go there. The only slight chance I could see them coming in for him at this late stage is if they want another centre half they couldn't get and Ron was a back up option.

I'm reasonably confident come Tuesday Ron will still be an Aston Villa player.

• Like 3

If Man Utd wanted Vlaar he'd already be gone. I wouldn't imagine it would be a complex deal to negotiate as they can obviously afford him and Ron wouldn't hesitate in wanting to go there. The only slight chance I could see them coming in for him at this late stage is if they want another centre half they couldn't get and Ron was a back up option.

I'm reasonably confident come Tuesday Ron will still be an Aston Villa player.

Exactly. If they wanted him why leave it so late?

My only concern is if Utd offered cash plus Evans/Smalling/Jones on loan Lambert might be tempted?

I'm pretty sure Lambert is well aware of Vlaar's value to the team and based on his comments when Vlaar was being linked to Southampton I think he's pretty desperate to hold on to him.

My only concern is if Utd offered cash plus Evans/Smalling/Jones on loan Lambert might be tempted?

If they did Lambert may have little choice if Vlaar wanted to go. The only reason for Vlaar to stay is that he can get himself a better deal as a free agent next summer

I'm pretty sure Lambert is well aware of Vlaar's value to the team and based on his comments when Vlaar was being linked to Southampton I think he's pretty desperate to hold on to him.

I really hope that's the case Mantis. I just don't trust Lerner enough not to cash in.

There is no way Vlaar will be leaving now

2 days remaining even if manure come in with a bid and we reject i really doubt Vlaar is the kind of person to attempt to force a move with such little time remaining to find a replacement

Unless Lerner decides to sell him which would be stupid probs a worse decision than appointing McLeish

Edited by AshVilla

From what I can gather you're argument for Vlaar not being injury prone is based largely on the hope that other CBs,who have missed more games, are not seen as injury prone.

Well yes, that would be putting the amount of games he's missed into a relevant context. What other method could be used to demonstrate a player's non-injury proneness?

AFAIK There is no accepted figure of missed games that are required to be injury prone so the closest we can come to disproving its applicability to a particular player is to show how many of his contemporaries it would have to also apply to in order for that to be the case.

1st coice PL CBs that missed more games than Vlaar last season: Turner, Lovren, Tomkins, Chico, Cahill, Kompany, Coloccini, Demichelis, Bassong, Jagielka, Chester, Collins, Hangeland, Vertonghen, Turner, Dawson, Huth, Ferdinand/Vidic/Jones/Smalling (not sure who was first choice).*

Essentially, this has become a purely semantic debate now and demonstrating that Vlaar is less injury prone than the median first choice PL CB when ordered by games missed surely means that the two conclusions we can draw are that either he isn't injury prone or that he is but the term 'injury prone' has such a weak definition that more CBs than not qualify and therefore the concept is irrelevant.

*This list was hastily compiled and is probably incomplete.

That's amazing and eye opening

I thought I had read somewhere that Ron didn't really get on with Van Gaal. If thats the case maybe Van Gaal knows it's not really worth asking to sign him.

I know he played for him in the WC but thats different to working with him day in day out for 3 or 4 years (or until Van Gaal gets sacked!!)

Â