Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Vlaar plays in a team known for its passing style and ball retention, namely Holland. And he is currently one of the top the central defenders at the tournament, the World Cup. Holland are good enough to win the World Cup. To say he is overrated, tells you everything you need to know about what some fans know about football.

Villa aren't a team that is known for it's passing style and ball retention, it's one that's known for conceding lots of goals, with a defender called Vlaar playing. To use the World Cup as a bench mark to judge how good our players are at club level tells you everything you need to know about what some fans know about football.

If you put Dunne in this Holland team he'd look decent too. 

Dunne had a couple of years where he showed more than Vlaar has in the past 2 years. 

But then again, Dunne was in a better team which would have helped.

I wouldn't say there's too much in it between Dunne when we signed him and Vlaar now to be honest.

Dunne had a good 6 months for us, that was about it.

And Vlaar has had more?  Between injuries and conceding a crazy amount of goals has he been that great? 

Vlaar's been good in a handful of games, he's also been awful in others. Similar to Dunne imo... hence I don't think there's much between them

Yes I think Vlaar has had more. He was excellent for pretty much the whole of last season and he was decent the season before that. He hasn't been injured that much anyway.

I thought he was good last season I certainly wouldn't say he was excellent. First half of the season I thought he was great, but then he lost his way with the rest of the team.

We can agree to disagree, you obviously rate him more than I do. He's good, but he's hardly irreplaceable imo. 

Considering Lambo would probably have nigh on eff all cash to get a replacement in if Ron went, I'd say he was irreplaceable.

I'd be disappointed if we sold him for anything less than £10million.

He has been really good for us and looks solid at this World Cup. I don't think United will come calling though, I fear it may be some team that are around where we want/should be... Southampton?

He's in the last year of his contract so we'd be lucky to get half that amount. Given we only paid £2-3M for him, if he's not going to sign a new contract I'd rather he left on a free at the end of the season having kept us in the PL.

In 12 months time I'd hope we'd have new owners that would release the necessary funds to buy better players than Ron.

If teams are interested, his price will be inflated due to the World Cup regardless of his contract.

The £3m we paid for him is irrelevant - it's about what he's worth now. I can imagine some teams in Italy and Germany would also be interested.

We should demand a high fee, to either get the money in or deter suitors - either way, it's a win win.

Personally, I'd rather he sign a new contract

• Like 1

He has been really good for us and looks solid at this World Cup. I don't think United will come calling though, I fear it may be some team that are around where we want/should be... Southampton?

Southampton are quite a bit ahead of us right now and have done well to put their finances right, but to also have enough left to buy and improve AND appoint a forward thinking coach. They will finish top 10, we will finish on 35-43 points... I think. So if Vlaar goes to them, it is because they have been the complete opposite of us over the past three years.

He's having a good world cup and who knows, Holland could well go all the way. 

Can't be easy to come back to Villa, a club with zero ambition or prospects. As pointed out above, he's no spring chicken, so would be well advised to make the most out of his elevated reputation and move to a club that is going places*.

*This could of course change if we were to get new owners willing to splash the cash.

• Like 1

Southampton are quite a bit ahead of us right now and have done well to put their finances right, but to also have enough left to buy and improve AND appoint a forward thinking coach. They will finish top 10, we will finish on 35-43 points... I think. So if Vlaar goes to them, it is because they have been the complete opposite of us over the past three years.

After losing Pochettino and selling Shaw, Lallana and Lambert there is no way Southampton will be finishing top 10. They've set themselves back a few good years and we're probably on equal footing now.

After losing Pochettino and selling Shaw, Lallana and Lambert there is no way Southampton will be finishing top 10. They've set themselves back a few good years and we're probably on equal footing now.

Apart from the fact they have 25-30m to spend and we haven't got a pot to piss in. 65m is fantastic amount to get for those players, they are not irreplaceable. 

I'd be more worried for them if they lost Schneirderlin, Rodriguez and Lovren.

Edited by dodgyknees

There is absolutely zero chance of getting anything like £8-10M for him while he is in the final year of his contract. Especially when you take his age and questionable injury record into account. £5-6M is the best we can hope for I think.

So after 2 good seasons and a good world cup, we will make £2m profit? Okay.

29 and year left on his contract.

That would be the buyer's argument. Unfortunately for the buying club, Ron is a key player for us and has had a brilliant World Cup so far. I think only a huge fee (8- 10M) will be seriously considered, regardless of the short contract length and injury record. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

That would be the buyer's argument. Unfortunately for the buying club, Ron is a key player for us and has had a brilliant World Cup so far. I think only a huge fee (8- 10M) will be seriously considered, regardless of the short contract length and injury record.

You're making the mistake of thinking that Lerner won't cash in if the alternative is losing him for nothing.

You're making the mistake of thinking that Lerner won't cash in if the alternative is losing him for nothing.

Why would Lambert care? He is alos into the last year of his contract so only has this season to repair his reputation.

Lerner is done with the club, it is a strong possibility that Lerner will be gone before Vlaar's contract ends.  It is very likely Lambert will have the final say on this matter. Ron may well leave this summer but it will not be for chump change, worth so much more to us than that figure you have suggested. 

If Ron has no desire to sign a contact we would sell him if a 5m offer came in. There's no way Lerner would want to miss out on that. 

However if he does want to sign a contract, I think it would take an offer of 10m(ish) for us to accept. But there's no way anyone would offer that kind of money for him. 

Edited by PieFacE

Lerner is done with the club, it is a strong possibility that Lerner will be gone before Vlaar's contract ends.  It is very likely Lambert will have the final say on this matter. Ron may well leave this summer but it will not be for chump change, worth so much more to us than that figure you have suggested.

This is just more claret and blue tinted delusion I'm afraid. The figure I suggested is based on the reality of the situation and that being in the final year of your contract automatically devalues the player in question considerably. The value others are putting out ignores such factors.

Also yes, Lerner does have no interest but he is still intent on recouping as much as physically possible before then. He has already effectively pocketed the TV money by not putting any of it towards an acceptable transfer budget. No reason to expect any different here.

I suspect we are letting some key players and their agents find the best salary offers they can from other clubs. Then we can match or barely exceed that. Or, if the deal is just crazy money, sell. It's a way to make sure you don't pay way over market value salaries, which we did for far too long, which is why we are cash strapped now. Let others do the value setting for you.

Â