Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Maybe Maybe Maybe.

The facts all point to Lerner no longer investing transfer funds as he firefights the fact he didnt put a wage structure in place.

If you cant see them then you are thicker than susan boyle....

The facts are he's invested about £7m so far. After we sign another 2 or 3 players that figure will probably be about £15m-20m.

Is that not investment?

£5.5m net so far!! after earning money for the past three years including £16m earned last year. So no. it sounds liuke **** all from the lazy word removed.

Maybe Maybe Maybe.

The facts all point to Lerner no longer investing transfer funds as he firefights the fact he didnt put a wage structure in place.

If you cant see them then you are thicker than susan boyle....

The facts are he's invested about £7m so far. After we sign another 2 or 3 players that figure will probably be about £15m-20m.

Is that not investment?

£5.5m net so far!! after earning money for the past three years including £16m earned last year. So no. it sounds liuke **** all from the lazy word removed.

Apart from Collins who else have we sold? I make it 7m net.

You know what, I can't actually be bothered to try and be reasonable with people like yourself. Randy out! Rich man who will spend loads of money in!!!!

Signings are Lowton (3m) El Ahmadi (2.5m) and Vlaar (3.2m), Holman was free. Collins sold for 2.5m, so technically you're both wrong it's a net spend of 6.2 million :D Not enough though by a long shot so far

if your stats are correct then i tip my hat. i had calculated 5.5m but lets be fair its not enough. to save a relegation fighting team.

Writing is on the wall for this lad surely? Not. In the team today despite pl apparently bogging him and CNz up in the week
The alternative interpretation is that Lambert just got his selection wrong and will have learnt that he needs Ireland or a new player of similar ability playing in midfield.

Writing is on the wall for this lad surely? Not. In the team today despite pl apparently bogging him and CNz up in the week
The alternative interpretation is that Lambert just got his selection wrong and will have learnt that he needs Ireland or a new player of similar ability playing in midfield.

Agreed... to much respect shown to Everton and they thrived off it...

did he have a late fitness test before kick off?

See if he features tonight and/or against Newcastle. I'd like to see him feature regularly partnering El Ahmadi behind Bent and a new batch of bustling attacking players.

Still for me he's not an attacking midfielder, he doesn't shoot or even look to shoot, pull defenders away.

He's a linking player who can intercept the opposition's' move and has the ability and vision to pass it consistently well to anyone making a decent run.

Just looked at the highlights, looked to be pulling all the strings.

Impressed by his post match interview as well.

Think he'll be a good player for us this year if given a chance.

Lambert clearly still a fan - from football365

Ireland was left out of the starting line-up for the weekend defeat by Everton but produced a man-of-the-match performance in the 3-0 home triumph over Tranmere in the Capital One Cup last night.

The former Manchester City player set up the opening two goals for Fabian Delph and Chris Herd and also linked up effectively with Darren Bent.

Ireland has not always shown his true form since signing two years ago, although he is the current supporters' player of the year, but Lambert is keen to rectify that situation.

"Stephen is a naturally gifted footballer, really naturally gifted," he said.

"I don't know what happened to him the last bit (of his time here), but it is up to us to get the best out of him.

"He is a really talented player, really clever. We have to pull together what he is capable of as a team. The team is always more important than the individual.

"You are only as good as the person next to you. I'm a great believer in that.

"We need Steven and Steven needs the team to help him but he is a really talented footballer."

Lambert is prepared to give Ireland a free type of role.

"I think the way Stephen plays you try and give him licence to make things happen," he added.

"To be creative is a really hard thing to be and he has got that creativity in his armoury."

Skipper Bent scored his first goal in nearly seven months against Tranmere after registering his 100th Premier League goal in February.

But Lambert is adamant the greater good of the team is more important than any benefits Bent may have derived from finding the net again after recovering from ankle ligament damage.

"It is more important we win regardless of who scores. We are in it together and the team is always more important than the individual," he said.

"The third goal against Tranmere was excellent with really good movement and the finish from Darren was top class.

"But I'd rather win and Darren scores rather than get beat and he scores. If we win, that is the main concern."

Lambert is continuing his attempts to bring in Genk striker Christian Benteke and Middlesbrough left-back Joe Bennett before the transfer window closes on Friday.

Villa have already had one bid rejected for Belgium international Benteke and are close to making an offer for England Under-21 player Bennett.

Lambert admits Villa have received little interest so far from other clubs in out-of -favour defenders Alan Hutton and Stephen Warnock.

"If your phone doesn't go, you have to wait and see. Maybe their agents are doing things, I don't know," Lambert added.

clicky

Strange that he left him out against Everton but the 'you're only as good as the person next to you' comment is spot on with Ireland I think. Needs time to develop a partnrship with Bent and also KEA

If KEA, Bent & Ireland are given a run of matches together, they could play so well and compliment each other.

That's true and I'd like two other players involved in that set up of quality and I think we'll be looking good.

He really is the new reo-coker, to some he'll always be our most technically gifted, creative footballer. Others are still waiting for these defence splitting passes.

Neither set of people can possibly comprehend what the others are seeing when they watch him play.

Was decent v Tranmere and probably had 4 decent games in his Villa career to date .

Gary MaCallister allegedly likened him to an empty crisp packet floating around the pitch . Wasn't rated by a whole host of managers mainly down to his application and attitude . Still living off one season at City and obviously got a few bolts loose . Be surprised even if he has a good season if he is here bY NEXT summer :!:

Albeit, only against Tranmere, but he was fantastic on Tuesday. I was at the game and he was constantly on the move, making interceptions, looking for the ball and building attacks.

He probably had a hand, in some way, in all of our goals. He was chalked offside for his lob over the keeper too. If that hadnt been offside, that would have been an excellent goal.

I have hope that we'll see the best out of Ireland, now that we have a manager that will let him flourish.

I watched some of the AVTV interviews last night and he says that he doesn't want ever become a player who's scared of playing a dangerous pass. He doesn't want to play an easy pass when there is a chance that a more inventive pass could benefit the team.

(words to that effect..)

Â