Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Ireland's style needs good creative players around him. His vision is outstanding. Some of the passes he makes are world class and I often feel like he needs some better players around him. I'd love to see the likes of Johnson and maybe Adams in our midfield with him to see what he can produce.

I don't mean to be rude mate but you are deluded if you think Ireland's vision is outstanding and his passes are world class.

God he is so over rated by some fans

You'd think Ireland was as bad as Warnock and Hutton the way people on VT are going on.

or you'd think he was as good as (insert any quality creative player here) the way some other people are talking on here

You'd think Ireland was as bad as Warnock and Hutton the way people on VT are going on.

You could also turn that around and say you'd think he was as good as Messi when you read other posts...especially when words like "world class" are attributed to him........

now i'm not a Warnock fan and we need to have him replaced but he has contributed more for this club than Steven Ireland

Warnock has contributed more but if you ask me who has the potential to contribute more to the current squad it's Ireland.

The point still remains though he's our player, no matter how much you dislike him he's picking up his wages week in week out, I'd rather have him playing to somewhere near his best rather than rotting in the reserves, hence the discussion on what we need to do to get the best out of him.

I'd like to think that even the likes of sonic_bouma can see the man has natural ability and therefore the potential to be a valuable player for our club, regardless of what he has shown previously.

I don't think Ireland is a world-beater but he is a very decent, experienced player who adds a lot to the midfield if he is playing well. I can see his wages are a problem - of the club's own making, it must be said - but he probably deserves another season to see if he can become a consistent asset to our midfield.

His first season with Villa, he was managed by a fool who seemed to equate man-management with sending people he didn't like to the naughty step. Second he had someone who didn't really believe in attacking football but managed to look increasingly good amidst all the gloom and negativity. Now he has a proper manager, he should have a chance to show if he can step up.

If people don't like the way he played on Saturday, he was almost certainly playing as instructed or he would have been subbed off and he was not alone in looking a bit lost and poor in skill.

I don't think Ireland is a world-beater but he is a very decent, experienced player who adds a lot to the midfield if he is playing well. I can see his wages are a problem - of the club's own making, it must be said - but he probably deserves another season to see if he can become a consistent asset to our midfield.

His first season with Villa, he was managed by a fool who seemed to equate man-management with sending people he didn't like to the naughty step. Second he had someone who didn't really believe in attacking football but managed to look increasingly good amidst all the gloom and negativity. Now he has a proper manager, he should have a chance to show if he can step up.

If people don't like the way he played on Saturday, he was almost certainly playing as instructed or he would have been subbed off and he was not alone in looking a bit lost and poor in skill.

Totally agree, I can't believe how we're writing of players after one game, West Ham parked the bus in front of them and congested the middle so it was hard to get space, so Ireland was dropping further behind Bent, to influence things. I'd possibly drop Holman, and given Bannan, Delph and Kea in the middle, Ireland floating behind Bent/Weimann or N'Zog.

Warnock has contributed more but if you ask me who has the potential to contribute more to the current squad it's Ireland.

I agree. Although i might be coming across as very strongly against Ireland I am more than aware his value to the team at the moment is higher than Warnocks. I was merely pointing out that Warnock was an integral part of our teams success at one point and that is easily forgotten now he seems to love an own goal etc.. Whereas IMO we have no fond memories to look back on when it comes to Stephen Ireland...no special goals or real moments of brilliance.

I'd like to think that even the likes of sonic_bouma can see the man has natural ability and therefore the potential to be a valuable player for our club, regardless of what he has shown previously.

You'd be right. I know he has ability.You can't ignore some of the things he did at Citeh. However he deserves just as much criticism/attention as N'Zogbia IMO when it comes to performances. He is simply under performing. And if people's solutions are to bring in 2 or 3 clever players to make runs just to get the best out of him, well then for his wages and his contribution to Villa so far, I believe we would be much better off buying someone who could come straight in to his position and provide a greater threat on the opponents goal.

We cannot wait to sign 2 decent wingers and another forward just to get Ireland performing. That could take another 2 windows.

very few players in the world are worth that kind of hassle

Nail on head !

This.

As I tried to pooint out it was a very new look team, I'd struggle to call delph a regular so Given, N'Zog and Bent were the only players he'd played regularly within the positions allocated. It wil take time for things to click but when (if) they do I think we will see Ireland contribute a lot more than we have seen previously.

Hes still dining out on one good season with City.

We need to get rid of the question marks in our team and SI is definitely one of those.

Doesnt produce the quality of performance to warrant his wages, so I would sell if we can, hes had his chances and it hasnt worked out!

We cannot wait to sign 2 decent wingers and another forward just to get Ireland performing. That could take another 2 windows.

very few players in the world are worth that kind of hassle

I dont think we need to, I think 2 decent wingers and a new striker would signal the end of Ireland's usefulness, we'd be better off playing a more direct winger focussed style and get crosses into Bent and his new partner, who hopefully could do the hold up link up stuff as well.

I think N'Zog should be the kind of player Ireland needs. If you look at when he had that blinding season at Citeh it wasn't with 2 wingers and 2 strikers it was as part of a forward 3 with player like Bellamy and Robinho who float around and find the space in order to be played in.

It's early days in the Lambert era and the cobwebs of last season will take a while to be blown out, but players like N'Zog, Gabby, Bannan, Gardner, even Holmann and Albrighton could and should be able to fit that style when the confidence grows.

If you imagine Ireland getting the ball quickly and looking up and seeing N'Zog, Gabby and Bent all moving into space showing for the ball I think that would lead to some very entertaining football and more importantly goals.

so I would sell if we can

And that is the issue, closely followed by who replaces him?

Is he worth his wages? No, but I'm not sure anybody is, Bent isn't if he's not getting the service he needs to score. But the squad is thin enough as it is and he's certainly not worth his wages if he's not playing at all.

A lot is dependent on what Lambert see's as our preferred style of play and if he ses Ireland as an integral part of that, simply saying get rid isn't really adding much to the conversation.

The difference between Ireland when he first came and Ireland now is that he's actually trying. He's got talent and I think given a run of games he'll start performing well for us. We really, really need some more talented attacking players in the squad though, as he'll thrive there.

so I would sell if we can

And that is the issue, closely followed by who replaces him?

Is he worth his wages? No, but I'm not sure anybody is, Bent isn't if he's not getting the service he needs to score. But the squad is thin enough as it is and he's certainly not worth his wages if he's not playing at all.

A lot is dependent on what Lambert see's as our preferred style of play and if he ses Ireland as an integral part of that, simply saying get rid isn't really adding much to the conversation.

I didnt simply say anything. You quoted half a sentence.

The point is hes not worth the wages, and Lambert should be looking to get him off the books as we are seemingly operating within a strict budget.

ie a luxury we cant afford. Time has run out.

SIs reputation based on THAT season is such that someone will pick him up, it just means taking a loss on him.

The team is full of nearly men and potentially good players, but theres a fair few in our squad id rather see playing than SI.

didnt simply say anything. You quoted half a sentence.

The point is hes not worth the wages, and Lambert should be looking to get him off the books as we are seemingly operating within a strict budget.

ie a luxury we cant afford. Time has run out.

SIs reputation based on THAT season is such that someone will pick him up, it just means taking a loss on him.

The team is full of nearly men and potentially good players, but theres a fair few in our squad id rather see playing than SI.

And I would imagine that any chat regarding wage budget would have led the manager and to look at all the high earners and their value to the club, heck he might even be prepared o listen to offers but there's more to that the club taking a hit on the fee, Ireland would need to prepared to take another pay cut to move on and I dont see why he would while he's stil getting picked by Villa.

And he's stil getting picked because the manager thinks he''s one of th best 11 players available.

Â