General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

we should use beckhams move to the USA to our advanatge in trying to break the american market

we could maybe start by trying to get a friendly with his new club next summer :winkold:

Thats a great shout and there will be plenty of Villa in California at that time of year!

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live in chester and i haven't seen a villa kit here for 4 years

I live in Sutton Coldfield, one of the 'hotbeds' of Villa support.

JD Sports (I think) in the Gracechurch centre, opposite Beatties, only sell Liverpool, Scum(Man Utd, for the benefit of the General) and Arsenal shirts.

Before south east Asia, USA, London and Chester the home turf needs to be hit first. I would suggest strengthening the base, then building on that.

i live in chester and i haven't seen a villa kit here for 4 years

I live in Sutton Coldfield, one of the 'hotbeds' of Villa support.

JD Sports (I think) in the Gracechurch centre, opposite Beatties, only sell Liverpool, Scum(Man Utd, for the benefit of the General) and Arsenal shirts.

Before south east Asia, USA, London and Chester the home turf needs to be hit first. I would suggest strengthening the base, then building on that.

Damn right. Sutton I'd say is the biggest villa supporting area out of everywhere, and to see that is just crap. All this stuff about getting other countries and areas involved is rubbish- this city has many villa supporters, enough to fill Villa Park, they just need a little persuasion to go.

can we get this back on topic, if you want to discusss the areas of Villa support and/or where shirts should be available then feel free to start new threads on this.

The General has already answered the point in that Richard Fitzgerald and the club are aware of the problem and will be looking at this

General Krulak here:

Marketing "next door" and marketing world-wide do not have to be mutually exclusive. I think that maybe we are so used to how things "were done" that we fail to realize that Randy, Fitz, the Directors, etc. have a huge amount of experience in sales and marketing and that to limit them to "next door" is to waste their talent.

Becks for $250 M......lots of print on the move but, NO ONE believes it will cause a huge jump in soccer interest in US...which is sad. Most sportscasters believe this was a pure publicity play and will only "pay-off" for the LA team when they play in the larger markets. What will happen is that Becks and his wife will make a big splash in LA.

General Krulak here:

Marketing "next door" and marketing world-wide do not have to be mutually exclusive. I think that maybe we are so used to how things "were done" that we fail to realize that Randy, Fitz, the Directors, etc. have a huge amount of experience in sales and marketing and that to limit them to "next door" is to waste their talent.

Becks for $250 M......lots of print on the move but, NO ONE believes it will cause a huge jump in soccer interest in US...which is sad. Most sportscasters believe this was a pure publicity play and will only "pay-off" for the LA team when they play in the larger markets. What will happen is that Becks and his wife will make a big splash in LA.

Hi General and thanks again for the feedback. Did you get chance to read my comments about using email to make "last minute" offers to Season Ticket holders? I am sure that the new board are working on plenty of ideas but this seems a very simple marketing tactic to implement.

Like many others I am sure that if I received an email 2-4 days before a game offering lower price tickets that I could persuade a few extra people to attend. Making it exclusive to Season Ticket holders also creates the perception that we are getting something extra.

Up The Villa!

Heya General

When are you back our side of the pond and what games are you coming to? Also a genuine question, what does Doug Ellis' involvement with the club since Randy took control? (i.e. What does being club president involve?)

PS If you get the chance watch Beckham's first game I assure you he'll be outstanding if nothing else to merely prove a point to Real Madrid.

Hi General and thanks again for the feedback. Did you get chance to read my comments about using email to make "last minute" offers to Season Ticket holders? I am sure that the new board are working on plenty of ideas but this seems a very simple marketing tactic to implement.

Like many others I am sure that if I received an email 2-4 days before a game offering lower price tickets that I could persuade a few extra people to attend. Making it exclusive to Season Ticket holders also creates the perception that we are getting something extra.

Up The Villa!

Hi General,

expanding on Mike's point above, it would be technically 'simple' to have an SMS-text message sent to a subscriber base on a Saturday morning with special offers for that days game - the target market would be the occasional attendees as opposed to season ticket holders, but the impulse purchase aspect might bring in a few more ticket sales. Of course such tactics will only be required for the first year until we start sticking up 'Sold Out' notices for every match.

General Krulak here:

1. Yes I did get your post on text message, etc. I spoke to an individual at the club today about doing something to ensure that our Season Ticket holders get the "advantage" as we move forward.

2. Mr. Ellis is not the President of the Club...nor does he have any official role with the Club. He is Chairman Emeritus...which is an honorary title in recognition of the years of service to the Club. He has no role with the Club and does not have an input in any decisions. He is a friend of the Club and welcome to the box and to the games.

General Krulak here:

2. Mr. Ellis is not the President of the Club...nor does he have any official role with the Club. He is Chairman Emeritus...which is an honorary title in recognition of the years of service to the Club. He has no role with the Club and does not have an input in any decisions. He is a friend of the Club and welcome to the box and to the games.

class...

:lol:

General Krulak here:

General,

I didn't make any further comment owing to moderator's wishes, but just to be clear that I am not advocating any restriction of marketing areas, I just thought (and still think) that it is important to point out that the most prominent sports shop in a large 'Villa town' does not stock our shirts.

Much of the talk on this board is of widening the Villa's appeal both globally and nationally, which I wholly support, but the front line of any sales and marketing push should be to extract everything possible from your core areas first.(in my opinion, of course)

General,

Its probably been highlighted elsewhere, but as a loyal season ticket holder for 7 years, I feel I am getting a raw deal when it comes to going to matches. There are lots of offers on about buying three for 2 and discounts etc etc, yet as the most loyal supporters we see no benefit.

When it comes to ST renewal time, will we be getting the benefits, because as things stand now, its is far cheaper to pay for individual games.

General,

Its probably been highlighted elsewhere, but as a loyal season ticket holder for 7 years, I feel I am getting a raw deal when it comes to going to matches. There are lots of offers on about buying three for 2 and discounts etc etc, yet as the most loyal supporters we see no benefit.

When it comes to ST renewal time, will we be getting the benefits, because as things stand now, its is far cheaper to pay for individual games.

I was just coming on to do that afrter reading the renaissance (spelling?) thread!

I'm all for attracting new fans but it is a bit frustrating as a season ticket holder.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and all that.

General,

I was just coming on to do that afrter reading the renaissance (spelling?) thread!

I'm all for attracting new fans but it is a bit frustrating as a season ticket holder.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and all that.

I would like to third this.

Yet another discount deal for non season ticket holders. Great for attracting new people but what about us loyal fans that came through thick and thin and stump the money upfront without knowing whether we'll be watching dross or attractive football for the season.

I would love to see an analysis to see how much it would of cost to of gone to every home game for a non season ticket holder.

As much as I love Villa and the new revolution, at this point I am already seriously considering paying on a match to match basis next season instead of renewing.

Also with ridiculous fixture changes like the Liverpool match to lunchtime on Mothering Sunday, I would not waste my ticket money by having to pay up front!

It was me whingeing that started it off again

The amount of games messed about with by Sky means that I'll end up missing maybe 5 or 6 homes games this season. Next season will no doubt be worse, with the new TV deal (more games to be televised, Villa hopefully with a better squad).

My 420 quid for a Holte Season ticket this season will end up working out at around £30 a game for me.

More than paying for the games I can actually go to (seats at full price in the Lower Holte where I sit are £28 )

I accept that Sky call the tune. I understand that Police move local derby games to daft O'clock.

I can' t change that.

However I can decide how to pay for games - by season ticket or on a one game at a time basis.

I don't have any objection whatsoever to the club discounting tickets - I'd do the same.

But come next summer's renewal time there will have to be some hard decisions made in terms of value for money.

I renewed this summer solely on the basis that Ellis was going, for definite, and because O'Leary had gone. Had they stayed I wouldn't have done so. In fact I wouldn't have set foot in VP.

Next summer will be different. I'd like to continue to support with a season ticket, despite the inconveniences, but it HAS to be worth while in terms of cost and benefits.

Which means either

Lower prices

Less rearranged games (won't happen)

A much better side - if the club invests in players, I will invest in a season ticket.

Genuinely valuable "add on" benefits to having a season ticket.

Sky is not my friend. IF no games were moved, I'd be reasonably content to pay 420 for a season ticket.

As it is now, it's seriously cheaper to watch games in the pub when they are on the box than to go to the games. Even more so for away games (which also get moved)...

edit - I should add perhaps that I've been watching Villa since the 70s, love going to games, but that Sky games mostly mean that work prevents me from attending in the week (mondays) or due to inability to get to early or back home from late kick offs due to Train services from my location.

General,

I have been a season ticket holder for approx. 20 years and my 6 year old son for 2 years. It is my personal choice and I do not expect any reward for purchasing a season ticket. Each season I miss 2 or 3 games due to travel or other commitments which means financially I do not gain any benefit, however I continue to buy the ticket(s) because

1.I want to sit in the same seat every game

2.I dont want the hassle of having to organise tickets for individual games

3.I want priority for purchasing tickets for away games

4.I want to be guaranteed tickets for cup finals etc

5.I want to be guaranteed my seats when the masses return and are locked out.

I'm not crying because the christmas presents I bought are half price in the January sales. I dont care if you give 10000 free tickets away every game, I'd rather see the ground full and I expect so would MON and the team. I just want to see us win. Whatever it takes to fill that ground do it if it helps us win.

Keep up the incentives, the missing thousands will return, and with a bit of luck the trophies will follow.

General Krulak here:

I hate to continue repeating myself but....we are in the midst of reviewing the entire ticket situation. There is NO doubt...and I can ASSURE each of you...that being a season ticket holder at AVFC will be the BEST deal for our Fans. You will see what I mean as we move forward.

"The Trees"...I know exactly what you mean and agree with you. My only point is that the two are not mutually exclusive. We can and must handle both.

Just to chip in with one comment on the season ticket/cut price games line.

It seems to me that we can't moan about the lack of marketing and awareness of Villa and we can't expect continued success unless we start filling the ground. And that means in the short term finding the price at which the empty seats will be filled. Hopefully once people have experieced a few games at a full Villa Park and with increasingly successful football on the pitch, there will be less need to tempt them back on price.

In marketing terms, the recent special offer to ST holders for the Watford game is an excellent example of how to hit both targets. £5 additional tickets for ST holders is a great bargain and if I hadn't been so slow off the mark it would have meant I could take my brother's kids along to a game for a change.

Given the massive growth in MBNA and the recognition it gets for its marketing, I trust Randy, the General and the team to look after their 'key customers' in the long term. In the meantime I'm more than happy to see empty seats filled throgh price cuts if it takes the club forward. After all, it means I enjoy the game more because of the atmosphere and it's not as if the cost of my ticket has gone up.

This is just my perspective on it and I know others might still feel a bit aggrieved