Les Davies; best player in Europe?

GarethRDR

Boy's own stuff. :)

Guardian.co.uk"]Bangor City's Les Davies up against Ronaldo and Messi for Uefa award

• 27-year-old winger on 32-man list of Europe's best players

• 'To be on the list with those people is unbelievable'

Les Davies, a 27-year-old winger who is a cult hero for his club Bangor City, has made it on to the 32-man list of players nominated for Uefa's best player in Europe award.

Davies is rubbing shoulders with the likes of Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Cristiano Ronaldo on the list, with the award ceremony to take place on 30 August in Monaco.

The longlist was drawn up after one selected journalist from each of the 53 Uefa member countries voted for their five best players, and a single nomination – believed to be from the Welsh journalist who voted – was enough for Davies to be included.

"I'm flattered and honoured to be on such a list. I can't get my head round what's happened in the last few days," he told Sky Sports News. "I don't think it is going to sink in for a long time … to be on the list with those people is unbelievable. Just to be nominated in the 32 is fantastic. I'll take that – I don't think I've got much of a chance to make the top three!"

The final three will be announced on 14 August, with the eventual winner to be decided by a live vote of the 53 journalists in Monaco on 30 August.

The 32-player list is: Agüero (Man City), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Balotelli (Man City), Blaszczykowski (Borussia Dortmund), Buffon (Juventus), Casillas (Real Madrid), Cech (Chelsea), Coentrão (Real Madrid), Davies (Bangor), Drogba (Shanghai Shenhua), Fábregas (Barcelona), Falcao (Atletico Madrid), Hart (Man City), Ibrahimovic (AC Milan), Iniesta (Barcelona), Kagawa (Man Utd), Kompany (Man City), Lampard (Chelsea), Messi (Barcelona), Modric (Tottenham), Ozil (Real Madrid), Pepe (Real), Pirlo (Juventus), Ramos (Real Madrid), Raúl (al-Sadd Sports Club), Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Rooney (Man Utd), Silva (Man City), Torres (Chelsea), Y Touré (Man City), Van Persie (Arsenal), Xavi (Barcelona).

les-davies-of-bangor-city-459604695.jpg

So... one journalist was basically having a bit of a laugh and got him on the list?

I'm gonna have a word with whoever reports on the Coventry and Central Warwickshire league for the Cov Telegraph and get them to pull some strings so that I feature next season!

I've got to chip in on this, as my missus' is from Bangor and so she's a Villa fan and I'm a Bangor fan (sharing duties). I've seen him a couple of times at Farrer Road and he's wicked to watch, a local Bangor lad too. Old-style big man, bulldoses the defence, great entertainment. The journo who nominated him was being serious as he covers Welsh Premier matches mostly.

**** Ronaldo and pampered twunts, this is what going to the footy is about for me.

How is it decided? If it's public vote then I could see him winning it with some sort of internet campaing.

I assume the bookies have covered that though, so I@m guessing that's not how it's decided

As Islington Claret has already mentioned, I'm over the moon about this! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, and he's just become a dad as well. What a week he's had! I know he'll be down The Globe having a pint to celebrate. Old fashioned midfield general, plays ugly football in it's most beautiful form, always a joy to watch, easily my most favored footballer of the last two seasons!

Â