July Optimism Gauge

maqroll

Well then... the coaching staff is sorted, the scouting staff replaced, new players already in, more to come, and surely a few to go...

As things stand now, how optimistic are you for the upcoming season?

Good: New faces in for cheap money. Heskey gone. The millstone around the neck of the club (previous manager) gone. Old bored players a year closer to the end of their contracts. A manager the fans are almost universally positive about.

Bad: So far we're relying on some budget players performing well above their purchase price. Makoun missing. No mega-exciting signings so far.

Prediction: 8th to 10th

Optimism-O-Meter: 8.5

I was very optimistic until we started to sign players. The quality of players we seem to be after seem to be of a low standard. Early days of course, but to be honest I'm really not impressed so far.

Since and arguably 6 months before MON walked, this club has been a shambles

If nothing else, I expect PL to stabilise the situation and lay footings for a decent future

Signings seem to suggest a new young vibrant team is going to be built around Bent and Ireland.

However are we going to be transformed into a team with the capabilities of Norwich rather than a top six side and this is my big worry.

Will we as a club be able to accept mid table mediocrity as our expectations are much higher than at Norwich?

Very much a wait and see policy with me.

I worry about the spine of our team being good enough

Ok Bent is top notch but Petrov is not available and Dunne / Given give me the jitters following that Euro's calamity

Expectations are dangerous and often highly irrational things.

The lowest position I'd find acceptable would be about 13th I think. I'd like to think that we'd finish top 10.

Lambert has a big job to do now but he's got some good players in the squad, certainly better than our last league finish - but he has to instill his footballing ideology into the team and craft them in the way that he sees fit, and that'll take a couple of seasons I'd expect. However, I am fully behind him and believe he can do it - there's been a great feel about the club since he joined and I'm really looking forward to the coming season.

Summary - I don't really care about a high finish, I want to see progress and a solid direction for the future.

12th is the lowest I'll accept given he got Norwich to that and we are better than Norwich under a good manager even without new players brought in, with the new players provided they are good and pull their weight I expect top 10.

Just a few months ago we were up shit creek so I have plenty of optimism at the moment. Lambert didn't join us just to buy players of the £2m variety. People need patience. Y'all need to chillax :flag:

I am optimistic, we havent made any big name signings but i dont think that is what we need right now. We need hard working players willing to to do the work requiered, we need more players (bigger squad) and we must keep away from the big earners.

I am going to be patience and give the manager time to build his team. I will be okay with 14 or higher but i want to see some good entertainment and a drive in the team to go for the win...

None of the core trouble makers have gone yet

I will feel much happier when that rotten core is broken up

It's been a shambles ever since Randy let MON have as much control as he did, which resulted in the last two shite seasons. Top 6 finishes do not make the mess Randy & MON were making disappear. It was all still happening while the results were good. The club has never been run "the right" way under Lerner. But I believe he's learnt some valuable lessons and he and Lambert will get the club back where it belongs now.

So now, i'm pretty optimistic.

None of the core trouble makers have gone yet

I will feel much happier when that rotten core is broken up

It's been a shambles ever since Randy let MON have as much control as he did, which resulted in the last two shite seasons.

That's a very sweeping and rather simplistic analysis!

You don't think the fact that Randy Lerner appointed two managers, each in their own way utterly incapable of managing a premier league club effectively, had anything to do with the shite of the last two seasons? :lol:

Â